Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A husband... what?!


It's amazing how much I enjoy the ending of the work day on Wednesday almost as much as I hate Sunday night or Monday morning. Thursday's a breeze to get through and Friday is just the kick off to the precious weekend. Man, I hate that I live for the weekends these days but that's how it goes. I never wanted to be one of those people who walked around all day on Friday saying "thank god it's Friday!" like they were going to literally fall down dead if it actually wasn't. Yuck. I hate that feeling, I hate the mood... I hate to hate.

Last Sunday night was turning into one of those wasted nights where we wind up just waiting around to go to bed, but instead we got into the car and decided to go get a drink somewhere. We ended up a place we frequent often and sat at a bar table and split a bottle of red wine. Now that was a nice way to kick off the work week but then when I walked into work on Monday morning it all went awry. I was doing my usual Monday morning complaining and I was mentioning how I hate to go to the grocery store, it always puts me in such a bad mood. The place smells, I always feel dirty and the people are usually annoying, especially on Sunday. The Bears didn’t play this week so maybe that was why it was extra annoying this week. people just seemed to either be standing in my way with their carts or walking around in a daze as if they’ve never been in a food store before. What the fuck!- get out of my way and make a list before you come here. I can’t stand it. Anyway, I was complaining about this particular event and various other things when someone yelled out “You need to get yourself a husband”… what?!, wait a minute-what?! Most people immediately started laughing like they were in second grade and they just heard ‘Susie say she liked Bobby’. I, on the other hand was speechless and confused but it only took me a second to respond to that ridiculous statement; while I was a little thrown I was also very eager to announce that I was gay.

Me: “what did you say?”
Someone else yelled: “you need to get a husband”
Me: “oh… that’ll never happen” (saying it with much sarcasm) and then proceeded to reintroduce myself to this woman stating that I was gay.

All that aside for a second; just because someone has a “husband” does this mean they won’t ever have to go to the grocery store? I don’t get where she was coming from, it didn’t make any sense. Later in the day we were discussing the interaction and she said her dad was always the one to go to the store so that’s where the comment came from. Whatever. It was strange to have to tell someone I was gay, I haven’t had to do it in a long time. Thankfully it feels so normal now that I assume everyone automatically knows even if I don’t say it, but I understand that’s ridiculous. I don’t think I ever actually said straight out to anyone “Hi, my name is (insert real name) and I’m gay. Strange but good.

Anyway, so Monday started out with my professing my sexuality, Tuesday sucked, Wednesday sucked but now it’s Wednesday night- cocktail hour. It’s all down hill from here. Bring on the weekend… please.

10 comments:

Zoe said...

I too feel like everybody just knows that I'm gay, and it always strikes me as odd or funny when people don't and I have to tell them that I am. I don't know if people are just that oblivious, or maybe they just don't go around making assumptions about people they don't know well, I don't know. I tend to sum up people within the first few minutes of meeting them. I do leave room to ammend my assesment, but I'm not usually too far off.

Oh and I live for the weekends too. I hate that do. I always end up staying up really late on weeknights because I feel like my whole day was wasted so I need to spend time doing what I want to do.

The Mad Hatter said...

Du know what chick, although I'm playing housewife right now, I also live for the weekends. I do nothing, time is spent with my lady love, just enjoying eachother.

Friday-Sunday your garenteed to see a smile on my face ;-)

As for the the store thing, I get sort of the same. When I was at my uncles funeral, his sister in-law, who I had met 7 years ago asked me "who's the little girl with you" (meaning fairy) I looked her in her eyes and said "She's my girlfreind", I swear to god this womans mouth opened so wide a train could of gone through it and she wouldnt have realised.

I mean, HELLO - could I look anymore gayer? Fuck me a blind man could see ;-)

Why do people think this world revolves around men? Having a husband? I hate that, and you shouldnt have to anounce to everyone that your gay, its your business.

Muppets! Dont take any notice chick, she was probably teasting you to see which team you played for, she wanted to jump your bones ;-)

Kisses hun XxXxXxXxX

Fairy said...

i live for the weekends too,its so peaceful and away from these whingy people around me..and u no what my boss+manager are obsessed with me that i'm lonely-as he doesn't no that i'm gay- and always saying that i have to have someone..f..them all,like my otherhalf said take no notice..people with small brains these are..and im so pissed of right now that i'll do a post about that..

The Snarkess said...

Your post made me howl, rd. I don't know why it makes me relieved to know that there are other impatient people besides me in the world, but it does. It's a grocery store, not a mingle. I feel the same way about people who drive along 2.5 miles below the limit in the passing lane. If you can't keep up, at least keep out of the way! Some of us have hyperactivity disorders to contend with.

I'm living for the weekends too and hitting fast-forward on my brain for everything in between. The weekend is the only time I don't feel like I'm madly scrambling around keeping my head above water...I can spend three hours drinking coffee and wandering aimlessly if I want to. Bliss.

As for that woman...oh, what a sad thing to say. You need a husband? I don't get it. Because husbands replace the need to buy food? And if her family was progressive enough that her dad was shlepping off to do the food shopping and cooking, didn't that attitude rub off enough for her to refrain from making a comment last heard back in 1957?

(I have to admit, I rarely know right away if people are gay or straight, although I just never make assumptions either way and I usually figure it out pretty quickly.)

r.d. said...

Hey zoe,
I decided to call in "sick" tomorrow, so now my Thursday is like Friday- but better!

mh, that's exactly what I was thinking and someone else said it also- she just wanted to know for sure. Too bad she's not hot...

Man fairy, it must be sooooooooooo hard for you. People are so damn thick it drives me insane. Enjoy your weekend with your love.

Hey Claire,
I am actually the most patient person you will ever meet but when it comes to incompetent, annoying people in the grocery store invading my space I loose it. Cheers to you for not making assumptions. I really probably don't look 'gay', but if I was looking at myself I would have no doubt. I'm good that way, and 10 out of 10 times right on the money-
Another toast to tomorrow being Friday- for you.

Kelly said...

I'm so impatient I scream at the microwave to hurry up and cook faster. I move around people so quickly on the street that I look like a running back searching for a hole to run through.

I figure most people know thay I'm a lesbian but there are those who are clueless. I have my gaydar up all the time but I do get it wrong sometimes. I had this woman in my office pegged for a lesbian but she's not. (I like to think that I'm still right and she just hasn't come to terms with her sexuality yet.) ;)

Middle Girl said...

As I work two jobs and do a stint of one of those on Sunday morning-weekend-is pretty non-existent. I try to disregard the day of the week and connotations attached. A Monday is just a Monday. My gleefulness or frustrations depend on what any given day may hold.

I despise most grocery stores and the life sucking, cell phone yammering, aisle clogging, ignoramuses who populate them. Add to that, the checkers who can't add and the baggers who can't bag.

There are only guys in my office. They all know I've been married and other than knowing I'm not interested in being married again, have no clue about my sexuality. The presumption, obviously, is there-as I was married before-but I found no reason to dispell their notions-we so very rarely talk in that way-anyway. I'm fairly certain at least one of the guys is gay-but he never has said so specifically. We talk casually about *going out* but no specifics.

I haven't been faced with the circumstance you describe, since embracing my being, and don't know what I'd do..I don't think I'd feel compelled, necessarily to *clue* in a casual acquaintance or a stranger.

I have yet to be taken for gay. If asked-point blank-I would respond honestly. Otherwise, I guess I'm still feeling my way towards out.

Trinity2 said...

Wow - cool place!
If you were shopping here in Midtown then it probably would have been a gay guy saying that meaning your partner was the butch end of the spectrum. ;-)
I hear ya on the friday, though. It's been one of those weeks here, too.

The Snarkess said...

What? You guys are GAY? What the...







Just kidding.

HAPPY FREAKING FRIDAY!!!!!

r.d. said...

Hi kel, hope you and your mom are doing ok.

As far as that woman in your office-if you think she's gay, you're probably right. As you said she's just either living in denial or hasn't come to terms. Whatever. I can't even tell you the amount of people I know that are gay but living as a straight person. It's out of control and it drives me insane (I know it shouldn't)

Hey only daughter,
Thanks for sharing. It's so funny (not funny ha ha) how many stages, faces, and moods the coming out process takes- it sucks. I too don't feel a need to tell everyone I meet that I'm gay but when someone presumes I'm straight then I'm all over it. I remember when the need to be authentic became so much more powerful than the desire to stay hidden, my whole being changed.

I'm sorry you don't have two days off in a row-

Hey t2,
I think this woman is gay but is struggling with it and that was her way to find out about me. It's all so funky.

Funny claire,funny.