Sunday, January 22, 2006

Capricorn = Booze, Boobs and Babes

So last week I went to the ever so popular "capricorn" party in Chicago. Apparently this tradition has been going on for the past 21 years, but unfortunately we just found out about it this year- story of my life. It also totally sucks that it was the finale. The women who throw this bash are selling their house and one of them is moving to Florida to finally live with her partner. It seems to me that one of the "younger, more hip lesbos needs to pick up the torch, re-light it and run like a mad woman because it would totally be a shame if this thing died.

There were hundreds of women in that house that night- all shapes, sizes and colors, and thankfully each one was a lesbian. Even though some may wish to label themselves bi-sexual, they were all women attracted to other women. And that's all that mattered. It was so refreshing to be surrounded by hundreds of lesbians, it may sound a bit scary (even to myself) but it was amazingly anything but. The crowd was oddly controlled, even as the girls raced through the house topless or preformed lap dances in the corner. Politeness was everywhere, bathroom lines were short and the sexuality... well, sexy.

My point is it's very sad and maddening that there was so many gay women there last week and there's only one lesbian bar in Chicago for them to go to. I've been "out"in Chicago for eight years now and I constantly find myself wondering where everyone is, and I'm tired of it. By everyone I mean all the "good looking" lesbians. There was every type of lesbian at that party, from the young punk to the girly girl and every look in between. But one thing for sure was there were many attractive-hot, just plain good- looking women there. Women that no more look "gay" than Portia de Rossi does.

StarGaze is the name of the lesbian bar in Andersonville. It's a very unattractive, un-inviting bar that attracts a certain type of lesbian. That's fine, I don't have to go there, but can I go somewhere else? Well, I can go over to The Closet on Broadway and sit with a bunch of men and straight people in a ...closet; the place is as big as my bathroom. Or I can go to a number of dance clubs in the city and also be surrounded by gay men and straight people posing as such.

So every year we wait for the premiere party of the L Word at T's Bar and bask in the beauty. The beautiful people all seem to come out for that. It makes sense, since the L Word has the best looking lesbians anywhere on television. If only it were real. My question is, why can't it be?

No comments: