Wednesday, March 29, 2006

See ya next year... I guess

I started this damn post on Sunday, went back to it on Tuesday night, but wasn't really quite sure where it was headed. That was until I read zoe's post, now I know this is just a case of adding fuel to an already existing fire.

When we cancelled our cable last November the only thing, and I mean the only thing we were upset about was knowing we were going to miss the ladies on Showtime- you know the ones. The only reason we got digital cable in the first place was to watch that damn show in the comfort of our own livingroom. After Sunday night I was so thankful we made that decision. We actually only saw the first and last episode of season 3, but to to echo Zoe's thoughts... the last episode of the L Word sucked!!!!!!!!!!!! Wedding dresses, Shane leaving the scene of love...again, Julie Roberts brother as her Dad?... Bette and that baby driving into the abyss, skiing, Max's facial hair, boyfriends? it was all just too much, not very funny and not sexy at all. I don't know about you, but we (used to) like watching it when there were no babies crying, when Jenny couldn't find her way out of that shed, when Shane took a dip in the pool with a different woman every day, when Bette and Tina were actually Bette and Tina, when Dana was alive and well fumbling with her sexuality, when the only guy on the show was Tim, when the Planet was just a place to kick back and get a cup of Joe... and when it felt good to watch the show because the issues seemed somewhat normal; now it all seems like a big fat joke. Check out Alice's face- not funny right? She used to be funny, like Dana was. Now she's crazy and Dana is dead. Dead? Did they really have to do that!? Nobody likes hospital scenes-nobody. WE JUST WANT HOT SEX WITH SHANE and more beautiful women walking around drinking coffee. That's why we watched in the first place- duh.We got enough problems just being a lesbian.

We used to be obsessed with the show in season 1 because it was so refreshing and cool to see hot, successful, lesbians on T.V. It was unfortunately something we have craved for a very long time, a sad as that is. They were living somewhat normal lives and it made us feel…well, normal. Even if it was fake. Season 3 sucked, I totally believe and trust whatever Zoe said. Oh and the music?... SUCKED! Who the hell was that? I hate rap, I hate lesbians rapping, and I also hate that band Betty. The music in season one was great, where did it go? I don’t know, I obviouly have no clue. It was very disappointing to watch that show on Sunday night, and we had to do it with a bunch of drunken lesbians at a local bar-standing up.

When we came home we stripped ourselves of our smokey smelling clothes, fell onto the couch, and breathed a sigh of relief that it was over. And then I felt an uncontrollable need to connect with my blogging world and get back into reality; back to a world where the interesting, funny lesbians are. Thank you.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

The lure of the L Word for me was always seeing hot, sexy lesbians on T.V. It may not be politically correct, but I'm not interested in Max and his transition. I'm just interested in Tina and her rediscovered heterosexuality. I don't want Betty's music just because Elizabeth Ziff is supposedly Ilene Chaiken's new girlfriend.

This season seemed much more crude and adolescent in terms of portrayals of sexuality and with language. I'm no prude but at least Season 1 portrayed lesbians as women who:

(1) knew they were women who loved women;

(2) liked to look fabulous and not like some overdone stereotype;

(3) resembled in terms of personality and life choices people I ACTUALLY know!

There, rant over. :)

r.d. said...

Thanks Kelly, that rant was so soft and painless. Good job. I agree, let's go back to square one.

Kelly said...

Thanks, r.d. Most of my rants are anything but soft and painless. ;)

The Mad Hatter said...

Hellllllppppppppp, I must be the only les in the world that hasn't seen the L Word. Dont hit me please, ok maybe just a little ;-)
I wish I could say that I knew what you guys were on about but I dont. We never got cable cos Im more into listening to music and fairy loves to read, I know it sounds boring (snore)

I PROMISE I WILL GET CABLE PUT IN FOR THE NEXT SERIES OF THE L WORD ;-)

P.S Kelly, luva if you wanna see hot sexy lesbians, I'll email you a picture of fairy and me ;-0 (I wish)

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

Zoe said...

Lovely rantings. I couldn't agree more. I used to be able to identify with the The L Word women, but now they are so unstable I wouldn't want to. I really hope they pay attention to the buzz of thier audience and go back to the season 1 formula.

Is that really true about Ilene Chaiken and Elizabeth Ziff? I thought Ilene was in a long termer with kids. I guess fame goes to your head.

r.d. said...

Hey Mad Hatter, don't stress about the cable thing. Do you have a DVD player?, you can just rent season 1,2 now and then season 3 when it comes out. Then you'll see EXACTLY what we're talking about! I know you'll have a few rants of your own. Oh yah, I'll take a photo if you got one!

Zoe,
I have no idea about Eilene C. and her chosen bed mate, I'm cluless to the behind the scenes chattter. I actually can't identify with any of the women on that show really. It's more in between the lines (or scenes) that I fit. I relate more so to the 'extra' at the "planet" drinking coffee at noon and then back again for a beer at six. Know what I mean? It's a visual thing for me. Sad, but true.

Kelly said...

Zoe,

Amen about the instablity of the characters. Not how I want to be for sure. Ilene Chaiken had been in a long-term partnership and they have two kids. I think they broke up after Season 1 aired.

Mad Hatter,

Pictures? You have pictures? Send 'em along! ;)

R.D.,

I can't identify with them anymore at all. I think it was more of an appreciation for depicting lesbians as hot and into each other FOR each other and not for some guy's benefit. As you blogged about previously, it's nice to look at sexy, attractive women especially when so many of the women we come across in lesbian circles don't seem to give a damn what they look like.

Fantasy is a lovely thing, especially when you're dateless. :)

The Mad Hatter said...

R.D sweetie,
Yeah we do have a dvd player, we have 2 actually, we got one for ma's room cos she couldnt get out of the bed.

I'll will buy series 1 and 2 sweetie, and play catch up, than god help you all, you'll be sick of listening to me.

P.S. whats your email luv, and the pictures will be there waiting for you ;-0

XxX

Kelly darling,
I'll sort some for you too sweetie, and the thing about fantasies, there also nice when your in a relationship ;-)

XxX