Saturday, August 19, 2006

Free to be

This one's for mad hatter. (pay no attention to the guy in the photo. )

When C. Love and I were strolling down Commercial Street in Provincetown last Friday night, we new we had to snap a photo for her. I'm not sure if she's in to hats at all, but I do know she would love this place. 'Free to be'- with the shops, fudge and scenery.

We headed out to Provincetown twice this year; the first time was because I had planned to meet my old friend for our yearly summer hook up. This time I met her on the beach during cocktail hour with a 6 pack of Rolling Rock and a copy of my summer cd in tow. As I thanked her for driving up to visit in an e-mail the next day, I was telling her that drinking on the beach is all I ever want to do and to have been able to do it on Race Point was superb, it was better than a scene I could have written for any movie. It was perfect, except for the fact that a 6 pack wasn't enough, but she had to drive back to Boston anyway. So we drank, laughed, got reaquainted a little more, stared at the ocean and sat in silence for seconds at a time; we talked about music, relationships, travel, beaches, family, our goals and our 'dreams'; we soaked up each other's energy, reminisced about some of our old drunken escapades and without saying a word let each other know that we have a strong connection-still, after 15 years. We sat there on one of the most beautiful beaches- in my opinion and hers (she's traveled all over the world and sat on many beaches. Myself just East Coast, West Coast, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and the Greek Aisles.) My point being is Race Point Beach is out of control with it's natural beauty. There are no snack bars, houses or buildings in sight- just the rest rooms and Lighthouse. Sea grass, sand, ocean and space abound. I couldn't ask for any more.

When the beer was gone she gave me a lift into town so I could hook back up with my love, C. love who was doing a little shopping and sight seeing while I hung back at the beach. We all sat down for another drink, some chowder and some fried fish then we said goodbye to my old friend and C. Love and I continued to enjoy Provincetown- hand in hand. I noticed lots of ladies out that night, usually it's filled with groups of gay men. I was thinking how fortunate but also how sad it is that we have to go to the very edge of Massachusetts to be able to feel completely comfortable holding our girlfriends hands. Sure, we can do it anywhere we want but in Provincetown it's expected and accepted. Two straight women must feel awkward around there. I don't like to make a scene in general so it's been a challenge for me to show my affection towards C. Love in a lot of public places. I don't want to feel like I have to hold her hand to prove something, I just want to be able to hold it because of the connection we have and in Provincetown there's no reservations and no issue with 'showing'. Some of that is because I have more of a comfort level within myself but since Provincetown so welcomes it, the act itself has become simple- almost natural. It's so comforting for us to be there we almost made the decision to make it the town we would live in when it came time to look for property on the Cape. Almost.

The next time we ventured out to P-town last week was because it was a cloudy day, we needed some space from the family and we just felt like strolling and shopping some more. Whenever we head to the Cape we plan to go out to P-town because it's really the only place on Cape Cod where we can be ourselves. The Cape isn't the most multicultural area in Massachusetts. Not that we are of different cultures or anything, it's just the openness and diversity we crave. Plus there are tons of families vacationing on the Cape and that gets very annoying very quickly. There are still many families walking around Commercial Street but when they are surrounded by an overabundance of gay folks, drag queens and 'art'- it's easier to deal with them and their screaming kids. Anyway, I know a lot of you have been to Cape Cod and some of you have visited Provincetown or are going soon... but I hope that all of you can experience Provincetown someday the way I feel it should be: freely- with your girlfriend, relaxed mind and body, primed for some stimulation; whether it be fudge, scenery, fancy drinks, beer, a new t-shirt, jewlery or just her; my wish is that you get it.

It totally sucks that my vacation is over... that's all I can say for now.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

It's sounds that, on the whole, the vacation was a good one. I look forward to the day that I can go back again. One weekend 10 years ago wasn't enough.

I hope that you're rested, rejuvenated and well. :)

SassyFemme said...

You make me want to go there even more than I already do! We want to go in Oct. for women's week, can't get anyplace to stay, and a new acquaintance offered us their place, but I feel kind of funny about it. Have you read any of the P-Town series by Radclyffe? Or did I ask you that already?

Maggie said...

I'm really glad that you got your internal batteries recharged.
Maddie is going to love the photo!!

P-town sounds wonderful!

The Mad Hatter said...

Fuck me luv, Im everywhere, you just cant escape 'The Mad Hatter' ;-0

She'll even haunt you in your dreams, well it looks like she did, you thought you were having a nice peaceful break with your chick, and look who pops up, yessssss meeeeeeeeeeeeee ;-0

I can feel the love from here RD
;-)

And yeah that was me in the window, with my hat and whatever that thing I was wearing, my face disapeared cos I saw you and C Love walking passed, I knew you'd both jump on me and wanna come in and buy one of my snazzy hats to wear to mine and fairies wedding next year, but I had to hide cos there was a bunch of MAD BRA'S coming into MAD HATTER'S, and I couldnt let them see me, I dont know what it is but these bra's just keep flinging themselves off womens chests and into my hand ;-0

OK Im heading back to take my medication now, glad you had a great time though chick, we did miss you around :-)
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

r.d. said...

Hi Kelly, yes the vacation was wonderful and I am just dreading going back to the 'routine'. But lots of sun and fun was had! Red Sox fever is so out of control in Boston. Everyone is so obsessed it's kind of scary.

Hey sassyfemme, I just can't accept the fact that you may not go out to P-Town bacause you can't find a place to stay. Keep serching... I have not read any of Radclyffe books but C. Love has. Believe it or not I'm not a big reader- go figure. Keep searching, it must happen for you two. Actually, now that I think about it you don't necessarily have to go for women's week. You just have to go before it gets too far into the fall. Good luck.

Me too maggie! thanks-

Hey mh! what the hell are you rambling on and on about! bras flying around?! are you dreaming or what! Yes, your presence is everywhere! cheers!

Rissamama3 said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation, I love p-town it's vibe alone is worth the trip. I'm also a shopaholic and p-town has some of the best little shops on the planet and browsing the art is always great too. It's one of those places you can take the quick boat down from boston spend a great day down there browsing and eating and drinking then hope the boat back and you are just relaxed it's nice!

r.d. said...

I hear you loud and clear betty. I must say though that I am in no way a shopaholic. Just let me sit on the pier, grab a beer and some food, an icecream and i'm good to go. But the shops are some of the best! Thanks for feeling the vibe-

Rissamama3 said...

I had to add that there is a place right down the street from me called the mad hatter! I just found it today while driving around (just moved up here) I'll take a pic tomorrow morning and it will be up!!

Zoe said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. Hope you found what you needed.

weese said...

ahhhh... PTown.
thank you.
one of my favorite places on earth.

weese said...

oo and...also one of my favorite stores.
i love hats.