Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A moment of silence... please

I'd like you all to please sit in silence for one second (or for the length of this post) and take a moment to remember the summer... ok thanks.

One of the worst days of the year happened today and it was totally unexpected. I had just planned to stop at the grocery store on my way home from work to pick up some cat litter when the cold hard truth hit me like a ton of bricks. Pumpkin colored bricks. After picking up the litter I headed straight to the checkout when I got distracted by the huge display of Pirate's Booty; I then realized I was starving and was mesmerized by all the other chips and snacks. I then got delayed in the magazine aisle for a bit, then finally made my way over to the checkout lady. There seemed to be some problem with the guy in line so I made a quick left down the beer aisle to just 'take a look' while I waited. (I didn't even go in for beer this time damn it.) My body just automatically gravitates to the beer, it's strange... Anyway, I figured since I was here I might as well just pick some up. All of a sudden I looked up and saw the hugest display of SAM ADAMS OCTOBERFEST blocking the aisle. Octoberfest!! It's too fucking early! As much as I absolutely love the day I walk in during late spring and see the summer brews, I despise when I stroll in sometime in August and see October-fucking-brew on the shelf. Hate it. I managed to poke around a little and grab the last six pack of Sam Adams Summer Ale sitting there all by its lonesome shoved to the back. Like a beach with no one on it, it's a sad sight. I walked away holding that six pack like it was gold, but what I was thinking was hang on, just hang on- summer's not over yet.

I don't care if your summer sucked because it was TOO HOT. Boo hoo for you, I suffer nine fucking months out of the year. I have to put on a jacket, bring a sweater, maybe wear wool because it's warmer, worry that the restaurant will be freezing and I won't be able to eat fast enough to get the hell out, drink red wine for warmth, wear socks everyday, have hat head, etc, etc. My point is that I hate cold weather but more importantly adore the summer. I love everything summer represents; I love summer sports, clothing, (beers) and attitudes; I love eating outdoors, jogging at eight o'clock, having tan feet, feeling free and as I've mentioned before- breathing. Bottom line, summer is the bomb.

I know the summer season is pretty much over, it's back to school time soon and it gets dark now at 7:30, but it's only August 22. August is still officially summer in my book and unless I can find some more I got five more 'summer' beers to help me deal with the pain of it eventually ending.

JonBenet all over the television, no hair gel on carry-ons, October beer in the grocery stores; what the hell is going on...


photo was taken with my phone as I took my last steps off of Race Point Beach in Provincetown

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Just wait. The Christmas decorations will start popping out after Labor Day. As if life doesn't go by fast enough, the advertisers are forever dragging us out of the present moment.

Enjoy those summer brews for as long as you can.

Trinity2 said...

I'm with you there, girl! I LOVE summer! I am a fire sign so I am all about shorts,swimming, the daylight hours being longer, people staying up later.
I hate winter as well - I feel that I shrivel up and die for about 4 months from Nov - Feb - ugh! HATE those months! Not to mention they have 3 worthless holidays that fall in them!
Summer's not over yet - hold onto it for all it's worth!

Zoe said...

Kelly why are you bumming us out with the mention of xmas.

Summer went by way to fast. I know it's not over yet, but softball season is over, and when you live in a college town your brain goes right into fall when he students come back. Damn them, classes started on Monday. I'm already looking forward to going to football games and hockey season.

afuntanilla said...

well, hmmm....what to say. I love the summer AND the rest of seasons. I guess Spring is least favorite. Of course, I have never lived anywhere where it is so cold for so MANY months...i, did, however spend XMAS last year in Chicago and I was DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE IT WAS NOT VERY COLD AND BARELY SNOWING.

Kelly said...

Sorry, Zoe. I was just adding emphasis to R.D.'s point.

That being said, I was a kid who played Christmas music in July because I couldn't wait for it to come. ;)

Maggie said...

Nice photo!! :)

I miss summer too. I'm still sitting in 90 degree days. Happily!

r.d. said...

Kelly please don't mention that holiday- not yet, but I hear you and I hate it. In another couple of weeks or so all I look forward to is Thanksgiving dinner. I start getting the cravings months in advance, I love that meal.

Hey t2, what are you talking about,Valentines Day? careful there, that's my birthday-

zoe,living in a college town myself I can relate to the young punks returning. They invade this place, it's horrible. They're everywhere- like little annoying bugs.

afuntanilla, I do love the change of seasons too, I just really love summer and hate to let it go. It's too short. Chicago was great last winter! barely any snow, just cold. I will admitt I have always said that the change of seasons and dealing with snow storms builds character. I would (will) miss it a little if I relocated to a warmer climate, but I'd deal-

Thanks maggie, I wish that woman wasn't in it. What the hell is she wearing? I don't even remember her being there, I was drunk with joy.

It was 85 here today! bring it on!

Fairy said...

i love summer too as a summer born,even though it was hard this year..enjoy the lasy days of summer...

The Mad Hatter said...

Summer? There was a summer this year? You lucky tings, we just had a week or so of SUN and since then its been bloody pissing down ;-(

Thats a beaut picture luv, it reminds me of the last holiday we were able to take ma on last year, thanks for bringing that nice time back to me :-)
XxXxXxXxXxX

SassyFemme said...

As much as I love summer, I'm anxiously awaiting fall, with the color changes, and sweater weather.