Saturday, January 27, 2007

cold fingers and warm heart

Today's run: 30 degrees and cloudy with the wind in my face. I am fully aware that I complain about the weather or lack of warmth too much these days and I apologize for that but I'm warning you it's not going to stop- not yet at least. I understand nobody likes complainers and that I should just either shut up or move my ass to a warmer climate. I get it, believe me. But here goes: today's run sucked because It was fucking cold out! I don't enjoy running against the arctic wind; it's not pleasant or relaxing. That's one thing I hate about the cold, it's not easy to deal with, it's annoying and a pain in the ass. My face was frozen, fingers tingling, ears a bit nippy and my nose always runs when it's cold out. I was thinking that I need that huge red Easy button that Staples advertises - I always just want to make things easier in life.

The other day I walked into work and as usual started to complain about how cold it was outside- like that particular day was any colder than the last-it wasn't. Right after I said "man, it's cold out" a co worker said "I like the cold". What?! this woman is like 90 pounds and very frail but whatever. At that point I was so tired of saying it myself, I just wanted to understand exactly what it was she liked about being cold. At first she said what everyone else in the world says " well I'd rather be cold than hot because you can always get warm by putting more clothes on but you can never cool off by taking clothes off". (I despise that statement, but in the interest of time I won't go into it). I then composed myself and decided to listen to everything she loves about the cold in hopes that I may gain some insight as to how others feel about the subject. after she told me all her ridiculous reasons I said "OK, here's how I think about the cold" and I walked over to her and started to tap her arm, hit her gently and begin to annoy her. Then I said " this is how I feel about the warmth" and I slowly rubbed her arm in a circular motion. "You see, to me, the cold is harsh, rough, annoying and hard and being warm feels soft and gentle, now wouldn't you rather feel that"? . She responded with "well if you put it that way, yeah" Now I don't know if she was somewhat mesmerized by the circular motion or shocked that I was rubbing her so she just said yes out of confusion- or she was really being honest. Whatever.

My point is, and I was thinking about this later in the week while my teeth were chattering, that dealing with being cold for me is simply unpleasant. While I know there are so many people that are unaffected by the cold I was wondering if it's because they are used to dealing with pain and suffering whether it's from their past or in their lives now. So the cold in turn becomes no big thing, it's just something else to deal with. As I said, I'm all over the easy button; having things feel good, soft, gentle and slow are what I'm all about. I've had it literally since day 1. My childhood was blissful and the rest of my life has fortunately been void of any violent, outrageous or harmful acts. I'm just wondering if there's any correlation between a traumatic childhood/life and having a high tolerance for the cold.


Now please don't go responding with comments like "my childhood sucked and I hate being cold" or "I've had a rough life so far and I live in California". I'm not talking about that, I'm merely questioning the possibility that if someone is accustomed to loudness, harshness, and lack of human intimate contact could there be a possibility that these same people (in general, as a whole) can deal with the cold weather more so than say... someone like myself. Someone who prefers the Easy button. Just a thought as I froze on my run today.

8 comments:

Zoe said...

Interesting theory. I don't know. I didn't have a bad childhood and I haven't had traumatic or unpleasant adult life,and I don't like being cold. But I also can't stand being hot. I think in part, at least for me, is that I don't like things being beyond my control. I think the people who don't mind the cold are also the same people who just accept things without question.

Trinity2 said...

Did the woman say "Circles! Circles!" when you were rubbing her arm? haha!
I completely agree with you on the cold. I cannot stand it!

r.d. said...

Maybe zoe, but who the hell accepts things without question if they're miserable-

No, she was speechless t2- I have that effect- you know what I'm saying?
We booked our trip to the Bahamas...

Middle Girl said...

I won't go into the childhood--but I don't like the cold-never did. I find however, that I'm much more tolerant than I ever have been, before my 46th year.

What I curious about is those folks I see with winter parkas -zipped and hooded- but their legs are bare and feet clad only in the shorty athletic socks and sandals. What the heck are they feeling?

Zoe said...

You'd be surprise. I'd say most people do.

r.d. said...

I couldn't tell you only daughter. I assume these people you speak of are young punks?

Really zoe- you think so? Not me, that's all I know. I can't stand being miserable.

jromer said...

i can't stand the cold. i prefer warm weather. i know people who are just the opposite. i think it's part of intelligent design just like some people like olives and some people despise them. but in all seriousness, i would imagine you are not some wimp who can't handle cold. your body is its own unique machine and has its strengths and limits just like everyone else. my friend a, subscribes to ayurvedic medicine which teaches that there are three body types, or doshas and that we are comprised of two of them blended together. as a result some of us prefer one climate over another. okay i'm rambling. i'll stop now.

r.d. said...

I agree completely jromer.