Tuesday, November 13, 2007

human decency

Why does it seem like people loose their manners when they become an adult. Shit, I know more 5 year olds who have more human decency than some 35 year olds do. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
Last weekend we invited a couple over for dinner on saturday night. They responded via e-mail with " Yes, sounds like fun! we'd love to come. Do you think we can make it an early dinner because we (the boyfriend and I) want to try to catch a show later that night (band at a pub). Do you guys want to come along?"
My immediate response when I heard this was well forget it, I'm taking the invitation back because that's fucking rude. Then I calmed down, decided to rise above and be the adult here; we invited, they accepted so I will serve drinks and cook. I'm just saying first of all if you have something to do that night you either don't accept the invitation or you say "we'd love to but we have tickets to a show later that night. PERIOD. If the person throwing the dinner party wants to then say "oh that's ok, we can do an early dinner"-then that's ok. Do you know what I'm saying?! Anyway, they came, they drank, they ate, we talked, we laughed and it was all good.

After they left, c. love and I went out to meet up with a friend for some more wine so in the end it was all good. I don't like guests to overstay their welcome anyway so an "early dinner" was actually good for me. But I still think it was rude.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. That is well rude. I think I woulda said "it's probably not a good night, we'll make it another" That's really nervy.

Kelly said...

Yeah, that's rude. I see it as another example of the narcissism that pervades society. Everything is about "me". (sigh)

You have every right to be miffed.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think it was rude, too.

I wouldn't care for the pressure of their looming show time while making dinner and conversation. It would have been even worse if she hadn't invited you to go with them, though.

r.d. said...

Hey lisa,I'm glad you agree and I actually would have said exactly what you suggested but I wasn't the one receiving the e-mail. Later-

Hi kel,
You are so correct, everything is all about the "me"- drives me crazy!

Hey hearts...
Thanks for agreeing. I wasn't too concerned with their time restraint. I was making risotto (on purpose) just to slow things down a bit and I fed them lots o wine. There was actually a point where they were willing to forego their plans just to hang out, but I pursuaded them to get the hell out. See you around-

SassyFemme said...

I totally agree with you, that was very rude. Kudos to you for still going through with the dinner. I probably would have gotten my nose out of joint and canceled it for that night.