Thursday, November 08, 2007

In and out...

and I'm not talking about the burger chain, although I wish I were. We flew in to California last Wednesday morning and out again on Sunday morning. Our purpose was to experience the area and try to determine a potential place to live- we did, and we didn't. Within those five days we probably experienced more emotion, excitement, fear, anxiety, confusion, and growing than we would have had in five months of therapy, but in the end I hate to say the trip wasn't anything like we had anticipated and everything we hadn't and it kind of sucks.

Lucky for me I was born and brought up in a house where my parents actually loved me. They told me they loved me, kept me safe and secure, never abused me, hugged and kissed me every day and night, literally tucked me into bed when I was little, read to me, played with me, made me feel important, taught me about good and bad, allowed me to grow at my own pace, didn't smother me with their own stuff and gave me stability- solid stability. They did everything I believe parents should do, but as we all know that isn't always the case. I consider myself very lucky. I also consider myself cursed. Cursed because as I've learned over the years and more so since I've evolved into the adult that I am that all of that stability I had when I was young has in a way kept me from growing and is making it more difficult for me to accept change- now in my life. What does my stable childhood have to do with moving to California? Well, I'm having a real hard time thinking about uprooting my life here in Chicago and letting go of all the comforts, security, knowledge and familiarity that I have, to go to a place where the exact opposite will exist. We are not familiar with California, have no connections out there, don't know our way around and personally I don't really feel like learning it all- it's a pain.

I've only moved once in my life. Besides living away at college for four years and living in two separate apartments in Boston, I've lived- really lived in only two I'll say 'homes' my whole life. My house, where I grew up and this apartment for the last 11 years. As a kid, I lived with the constant knowing that the bedroom I was sleeping in and the house we were living in was as solid as the cement and bricks that surrounded us. Let's just say I slept very, very soundly. I never had to deal with multiple schools, moving from place to place or making new friends so my mind never had to go there. unlike myself, if you are a kid who was never really loved or or is used to living in fear and instability, moving as an adult would probably have little effect on you. As a matter of fact it would probably feel more comfortable because it's what you were used to. Not so much for me.

Being in California last week was anything but a vacation for us both. We actually felt like we were working and went to bed every night as if the next day was another work day with lots to accomplish. Who looks forward to work. Every morning the maps came out, gas tank filled, and minds set on overdrive. We visited each town not with amazement, joy and relaxation but instead with our guards up, our spidey sense activated and our focus on 'do we fit in'. It's really hard to visit an unfamiliar place with thoughts that you may be living there someday. Live- really live there. It's like all of a sudden being a lefty instead of a righty or vice verse- you know? confusion, awkwardness and feeling discomfort runs rampant. Issues came up, arguments ensued, and our relationship took a beating. All because the both of us were freaked- out of our minds that we were actually thinking of moving to California and there we were in the middle of the process. Yikes. In the end nothing felt perfect- not the weather, not the roads, not the people and not any town we visited. There were glimpses of joy and sighs of relief here and there but when we got home we felt beaten and discouraged. Places were either too much or too little; too big or too small; too beautiful and fake or too crappy and unattractive. Nothing felt normal- nothing. Do we let go of our dream to live in a warm climate with beauty and joy surrounding us or do we throw in the towel and stay put here in Chicago- who knows. Moving back East is an option but it just doesn't feel like the right one- not yet. All I kept saying on the trip was "why is it so damn hard to get what you want". This whole thing is so difficult from every angle but know we are stuck because we started the ball rolling and we can't really go back. That's the thing with change, inviting change and growing- no one ever said it was easy but everyone always says it's worth it. Shit, just get me to the other side.

I sure would love to be zapped back to childhood where my decisions were monitored, my mistakes were fixed and my mind was like a sponge. And the safety of my bedroom was just steps away from the safety of my whole little life. Or at the very least back in California, sitting down in the sun eating an In and Out burger.














10 comments:

Zoe said...

I hear you. I have been saying I want to move away since I graduated from college. Though I'd love to live elsewhere, the thought of leaving our friends, our family, and our house (which we could not afford in the city's we'd want to live in) makes it very difficult. And sure, we'd make new friends, but I really don't think we'd find friends like P&S. All our other friends, sure.

I think if one of us was offered our dream job on the other side of the country we'd go because there would be a purpose to leaving. There would be a set destination and an income. But relocating whereever we wanted, soley for the purpose of location would be so daunting, that I wouldn't begin to know where to start. There would be too many possibilites for me. Sounds strange, I know.

I guess what I'm saying is, that I understand how you feel.

r.d. said...

Thanks zoe, I know what you mean too. I keep saying I just wish we had a reason to go, a purpose or something instead of just a desire. Who knows what the hell we'll do- time will tell.

Trinity2 said...

I can only imagine how difficult that was. I am totally on the same page as comfortable places. The possibility for B and I moving is in the future and I try not to get too freaked out over trying to imagine myself in another place. It seems like the whole thing should be a bit easier, don't you think? I was/am still hoping it will become easier for us on this whole moving thing. Maybe it's just geography and some more things need to fall in place first. Don't rush it. It's a big decision.

Kelly said...

I'm sorry that the trip was so stressful and I totally understand your feelings here. It is much easier to move for a job or some other "concrete" reason. It's much harder to go because you have a sense of the move as being what you're driven to do.

As long as you keep the communication flowing between your head and your heart, you'll be just fine.

Hang in there!

r.d. said...

Hey t2, yes in answer to your question I too think the whole thing should be easier and that's what I was hoping for when we went out there which is why I'm confused now. I've (we've) decided to let it go for the time being and see what comes up. It's time for a change but what that means for us we have yet to find out.

Hi kel, thanks. That's exactly what we are concentrating on. We've been going with the heart more than the head but the two need to meet up. You know?

Middle Girl said...

Moving is no easy task. Ever. Moving to a land, far far away with no connections or purpose (other than the wish to be there) harder still.

It may indeed take more trips before the idea becomes comfortable enough for both of you to be a reality.

r.d. said...

I know only daughter, more trips are definately in the picture but we were also hoping for more of a positive feeling when we went out there. Since it didn't feel too good we began to question everything- including our intuition.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm interested to know why you decided to check out California since it doesn't seem to be work or family related. Also, where did you visit?

My experience has been so different from yours that I probably can't offer advice, but having lived in many places, I found something to love in each of them.

If you decide to move, just do it whole heartedly with excitement and trust, and it will work out.

SassyFemme said...

r.d., it doesn't sound like CA is necessarily the right place for you two. I had that same kind of loved, secure, one place childhood, but when it came to relocating I knew in my heart when something was or wasn't right. The looking part of our move to CT was fun and exciting each day, it wasn't work, and it wasn't at all stressful. There was excitement and adventure, and it felt right in our hearts, no "what the hell are we doing" moments. That's what makes me wonder if CA is right for you two or not. Perhaps there's some other warm weather climate that you might want to explore, or perhaps you've found that where you are right now is where you're meant to be.

r.d. said...

hearts...,
We choose California for a number of reasons. One major one being the weather but the other reasons seem almost more important. Way of life, my partner's buisness, health, beach, our vision, and ocean air are very important as well. We're going with our gut on this one and I don't know if you're familiar or not but when you do that, lots of stuff comes up. In the big picture,it's all good. In answer to your question, we checked out Southern CA- as far North as Santa Barbara and as far South as San Diego. We saw everything in between. We loved Santa Barbara, that place felt good.

Sassyfemme, thanks for your words but all I can say in response is there's lots of steps in life- easy ones and not so easy ones. The bigger more meaningful, challenging ones are way more difficult to climb. When I moved from Boston to Chicago it felt right and it was exciting and fun but again in the big picture it had to be easy to lead me to the point I am at right now and to deal with this next chapter. Time will tell, maybe CA is not it for us, but maybe it is. I never actually believed that we would be here forever, it feel good but not 'it'. We're still growing.