Sunday, December 30, 2007

all pooped out


Warning, if you have bathroom/feces issues don't read on


OK, this is a disgusting horrible story but it's kind of funny too so here goes: To make a long story somewhat shorter we'll fast forward to last Thursday evening around 5 pm. We were driving back to Chicago from Boston and had made it to our hotel in Youngstown Ohio (10 hrs into the trip). After checking in and checking the cleanliness of the room we decided it was OK to stay so we put our bags down and continued on. I had to go to the bathroom for awhile but since I have an issue with germs and dirt and grime I made the decision to hold off until we got to our hotel where I would at least have some privacy. Since I didn't have time to thoroughly inspect the toilet, I placed toilet paper on the seat... just in case. I did what I had to do in there, came out and checked out the quality of the TV; C. love then went in the bathroom to pee. After all the peeing and pooping was done we headed out into town to get a bite to eat.

Two hours later: We walk back into the room and since I didn't want to use the restaurant's bathroom to pee, I went back into our bathroom to do just that. When I got in I noticed something in the toilet (I'm not going to spell out exactly what) and not thinking anything further I immediately flushed, but something told me that wasn't my poop in there and then proceeded to pee. A second after that I stormed out of the room and said to C. Love "you used the bathroom after me, right?" "yes" she said with confusion. " I mean you flushed, right?", "yes" she said again. ( now I'm starting to freak a little) "you mean you went in, just peed and flushed. "Yes, that's what I'm saying!" (she's getting angry now because I'm not explaining myself) "And there was nothing in the toilet when you went in?" She proceeded to explain how she knew there was only pee in the toilet after she peed because she was noticing the color of it. ( we take note of things like this regularly)


OK, at this point I'm completely stumped, totally confused and a little bit grossed out at what I'm thinking because what I'm imagining is either number 1: my poop came back up after two flushes which is totally bizarro and very unlikely or #2: someone else's poop came up through the pipes, which is totally disgusting, totally wrong and totally bizarro as well or #3: someone entered our room while we were out and used our bathroom, which is totally horrifying, completely disgusting, completely wrong, and completely unbelievable. But out of the three, in the moment, we chose to think it was either #1, or #2- even though we both knew it probably wasn't. Now I spent the next 5 minutes trying to think back to what my poop looked like... just in case it was scenario# 1- strange things can happen with plumbing, right? After going through all the possible explanations and accepting that maybe someone possibly came in and used the bathroom we checked our luggage, and belongings and then both did our best to just let it go and we hit the bed.


The next morning we went to fill up the tank for the next 7 hours home but our card was 'declined'. Not putting two and two together (the unknown person entering our room and a declined credit card and the fact that C. love had left her wallet in the room) we proceeded to call the credit card company and they told us it was probably just the station itself that had the problem. It wasn't until we got back into our home in Chicago, heard the messages from the fraud people, unpacked, played with the cat, went to the store and then talked to the fraud people that we were told that someone has been making charges on our card and the fraud people caught it. Then we froze and realized the same guy (or girl) who came into our room and relieved themselves in our bathroom could have also stolen the credit card number. We freaked out; I was completely grossed out and we both felt totally violated. Nothing was stolen from C. love's wallet and it could have been two totally separate instances but it's kind of coincidental- don't you think?


So fine, someone has stolen our credit card # and used it. And fine, someone entered our hotel room when we were out, pooped in our toilet and didn't flush. Whatever... we will get the money back, I still feel really dirty, and I'm extremely angry that both those things happened but whether they happened within the same night and by the same person or not- it still sucks. FUCK! what the hell?! here I am thinking that whoever came into our room was either 1.- mentally ill and just does this kind of thing or 2.- an employee who regularly does this kind of thing: goes into someones room, poops, and steals credit card numbers (or the other way around). What the fuck, is that like his "sign"? his poop?!


The whole situation is totally strange but in way very, very funny. And I'm glad I can laugh at it now, even though I feel like I still need to take 10 showers a day to cleanse myself of the bad guy in our bathroom. We think it was an isolated case, our identities are in check and from now on we leave the television on and "do not disturb sign" on the door whenever we leave our hotel room. What a way to end the year

14 comments:

Zoe said...

That would be horrifying! I would totally be creeped out by that.

Kelly said...

I second the creepy sentiment, R.D. I'm glad that you both are okay.

SassyFemme said...

What a mess. Ugh. Glad that the credit card company caught the fraud and all will be taken care of.

I like your idea of leaving the TV on and the do not disturb sign on the hotel room door. I think we may use that in our future travels.

r.d. said...

Yes, you would zoe.

We are fine kelly, just angry that stuff like this happens. At least I can laugh about it because it is kind of funny.

Hey sassyfemme, yes we are glad too. The fraud people were on top of it! I like my idea too but hate that I had to think about it.

Maria said...

I thought that Bing and I were the only couple who discussed our bowel movements.....

Glad the riddle was sort of solved. But...I kept thinking what a great SNL skit that would make: The hotel pooper thief...

weese said...

completely freaky.
I mean really... even a thief should flush.
:)

r.d. said...

Hey maria, no you're not the only one. We don't discuss regularly but it's definately out there (for health reasons- and I'm always looking...) And yes, SNL could have been all over that scenerio. I still find it quite humorous even now.

That's exactly what I was thinking Weese- then I thought it must be his sign. Or he's completely crazy, which unfortunately is more likely.

afuntanilla said...

I'm sorry. I had to laugh at this story!! But, seriously, I am glad nothing us was stolen. Sorry u had to go through that!!

r.d. said...

No need to apologize afunt!, it's extremely humorous! We're good-

Mac said...

Eeewww. Horrible story, but I am glad your Credit/Identity is in order.
In hindsight, you could have bagged the Mystery Poo...for DNA evidence!
(and, yes, I sort of grossed myself out with that last sentence)
LOL!!

r.d. said...

mac!, just the thought of that makes my stomach turn...

Mac said...

"mac!, just the thought of that makes my stomach turn..."

Hee hee ;-)

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

This is a great post - I enjoyed reading. Sorry you had the phantom pooper and card thief though. My guess is it was a hotel staff person. there's a lot of addicts out there and will stop at nothing. Never leave anything of value in your room. I think leaving the poop for you to see was a way of saying FU or they wanted to leave it there for you to obtain DNA from to catch them.

r.d. said...

Hey Rich,
Your guess is my guess too- the crazy hotel staff. We did notice a creepy looking guy walking the hallway when we were heading to our room but before we went in we glanced back and he was gone. Disgusting non the less. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it.