Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Beachcomber


I'm waiting for a phone call from a friend of mine; a friend who I haven't seen in over .... I don't even know, maybe 12-14 years? That's a long time.

We haven't spoken within that time, but even so, she hasn't left my mind at all. Whenever I think of summertime, drinking on the beach, red wine, U2, R.E.M., The Smiths, Nantucket, The Kennedy family, Belmont, Massachusetts or sunblock I think of Cherie- and I think about those things often. I actually made her a mixed CD last Christmas as a surprise because "mixed tapes" were a huge accessory with us when we were together. Together meaning friends-nothing more so don't go there. Cherie married Bobby and they have since had three kids and have lived in Australia and London before settling in Concord, Massachusetts in her grandmothers huge, cool old farm house. I made her the mixed CD because I had hooked up with another friend of ours last Summer and she had mentioned Cherie said I would probably bring along a mixed tape and how lucky she would be to get it. Strangely enough I had a mixed CD in my car that I had just made for our trip that I handed off to my friend at the bar- it was perfect music for her ride off of Cape Cod and back into Boston.

I can't honestly say why we haven't spoken in so long. Drunken birthday greetings have been left on my machine, but I kind of lost track of her when she moved to Australia. I've never been good at long distance anything-it's too difficult. We always had a connection;we not only had the same sense of humor (which is so very important) but more importantly we connected on an energy level. She got it, I got it and sometimes that's when it's so easy to loosen the grip and become seperated. It's like even though these people aren't necessaily in your physical space they are with you energenically through everything. I've definately missed her over the years because I think we'd get along great and that's so rare. She loves to drink, loves the same music I do and knows when to go to that next level. You know or maybe you don't- it's the reading in between the lines I'm talking about, it's where the good stuff is.

Anyway, she left me a message yesterday saying that it was 3 o'clock in the afternoon, she had just picked up a 12 pack of a particular summer brew, she had just listened to my mixed CD, her kids were having a play date, Memorial Day is in a couple of days, she missed me, wanted to get together this summer and she was thinking about me in more ways than one- excellent. I called her back but no answer; again tonight, and here I wait...

Cherie and I were summer friends, we met on Cape Cod. One of the places we frequented often was a place called The Beachcomber in Welfleet, MA. In my opinion this is the best "beach bar" on the East coast. This place is truly spectacular simply because it has everything a good beach bar should have. For starters it's tricky to find unless you know your way around (meaning no tourists), it is literally located on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic ocean with sand everywhere. the beer is cheap, the food is fried, picnic tables are plenty, music is cool, bands are cool, dance floor big enough, and it's located on Cape Cod Massachusetts. You just can't get any better.

I'm pretty sure I'll hook up with her this summer, I'm not sure how or where but I do know drinking will be involved, along with a new mixed CD. It puts me in a good mood to think about hanging out with her, but I wonder why people that feel so normal to be around aren't always in our lives at all times? We meet so few, at least I do.

Well, cheers to the official start of summer this weekend, good friends, good music, cool places to hang out, summer brews, sand... and getting it.

9 comments:

Zoe said...

I've had that type of friendship, so I know exactly what you mean. They seem to reemerge at just the right time too. I hope you get to reconnect with your friend this summer.

The Mad Hatter said...

From the age of 11, me and my mate mandy became joined at the hip, we did everything together and so go eachothers wakey ways. When I moved we lost touch for a while but hooked up again when ma got sick. I was in a shop not far from where I live and who was the manager of it? Yep, her. Since then we became joined again and nothing has change apart from being older and even more craxy. Oh the good old days, and new ones of course!

XxXxX

Maggie said...

I have a couple of friends like that. One male, one female. Ya kinda need those in life.

Kelly said...

I really hope you get to see your friend this summer. It sounds like you two connect with each other very well and it's important to have those kinds of people in our lives.

The Beachcomber sounds like a great place. When you get that house on the Cape, I'll buy the first round. :)

Unbalanced said...

Those types of friends are essential, it's just too bad that it's been so long since you've seen her. I hope this summer you get to hang with her!

r.d. said...

Thanks zoe, I'm pretty sure I will!

mad hatter,funny how fate intervenes isn't it?

maggie, I totally agree. It's cool

kelly, yup, yup and yup... I must say I probably wouldn't take you to the Beachcomer for a drink though- too many young punks! (like I was) but not to worry, we'd be drinking somewhere else for sure when (not if) we get that house on the Cape!

thanks unbalanced, there will be some hanging out going on for sure!
It's o.k. that it's been so long since I've seen her, that's obviously the way it was supposed to be!

Kelly said...

You're on, R.D.. I KNOW that you and C. Love will have that house on the Cape. I wouldn't mind having one there myself. I fell in love with that place after just one visit.

Taradharma said...

a great story, RD. Hey, I spent a couple of weeks in Orleans on the Cape -- about 25 years ago! I love it. Went to Wellfleet, P. Town. It reminded me alot of my stomping grounds of the Monterey Peninsula in Calif.

Hope you get there this summer -- you two will pick up where you left off, no problem. I have a couple of friendships just like this. My retirement dream is to have all these great friends in the same town, hell, the same piece of land! Wouldn't it be grand?

r.d. said...

Hey tdharma, thanks and I hope you're able to get back to P.Town some day. I don't think I would want everyone so close by all the time, but they can sure stop over to the beach house for a drink!