Saturday, September 30, 2006

Recipe for love... at least that's my goal


This week was a sucky, horrible week for various reasons that I won't bore you with, but I refused to end it on a down note so I developed a plan mid morning on Friday to help me kick start the weekend. My goal, and it felt like a huge one to concour, was to attempt find some of the the magic C. Love and I have lost. There are some changes going on within each of us these days and we are trying our hardest to not let it affect our relationship, but in a way that's virtually impossible. It completely sucks. Bottom line: she needs more connection, I need more space; she needs to "talk", I don't want to talk at all; she wants to figure out what's going on at all times and I want to bolt- These dynamics don't make it easy to enjoy each other's company. But I'm here to at least help to distract us from 'life', focus on what works and enjoy a fabulous meal in the process. I told her I was going to make dinner earlier in the day, with a thought in the back of my mind that my superior cooking skills, excellent taste in music and undeniable charm would win her back to me- at least for the evening.

The menu was as follows:

Grilled lamb chops with fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic and olive oil
Twice baked mashed potato with a little parmasan cheese
Sauteed green beans with toasted almond
Some warm crusty, rustic bread
Red wine

I stopped at the store on the way home, picked up the goods, rushed home and popped open the wine. She was on a buisness call when I got home so that allowed me to prep without her knowing. By prepping I mean prepare the food as well as myself. After she shut down the office for the night I greeted her with a glass of wine, a smile on my face and open arms...

I am happy to report it worked... phew.

14 comments:

afuntanilla said...

r.d -- sounds lovely and wonderful! thanks for sharing.

The Mad Hatter said...

Isnt it strange how a good meal and few nice bottles of booze can make things seem not so bad?

On another note, if that mouth watering menu was waiting for me when I got home, it would work too ;-)

I hope all goes well luv X

Fairy said...

thats a great menu rd..i think any relation ship needs some firing,special times sometimes,even just a little meal like u did..life is tiring,even though we don't want,we can't help but affect our relation ships..

Maggie said...

That sounds like a fabulous dinner and I'm really glad that things are working out.

Kelly said...

Good for you, R.D. I'm glad that the meal and the evening was a success. :)

r.d. said...

Hi afunt, it was delicious, thank you for sharing too.

Hey mad hatter and fairy (hope you don't mind if I link you two together) You are right, every relationship needs some fire set to it once in awhile and wine and good food just help it along. I really hate when life stuff effects us, but as you say fairy it's unavoidable. Just move on, and i know you guys are used to that...

Thank you maggie, it was very tasty if I do say so myself!

Hi kel, I'm trying... and thanks.

Zoe said...

See what happens when you make things with love.

SassyFemme said...

Dinner sounds absolutely lovely. The fact that its made with love makes it special for you two. I'm glad it helped, and hope things continue on a good path.

Trinity2 said...

Sounds great!

r.d. said...

I know zoe but sometimes it's very hard- you know?

Sassy, I too hope it will continue but also welcome the challenges as I know our relationship is continually growing. After being with one person for so long I guess it only makes sense. Thanks-

Hey t2, it was!

Zoe said...

Yes I do know, I've been there.

Middle Girl said...

Hooray to you for knowing what was needed and when to deliver it.

Hooray to C Love for being receptive.

Menu sounds absolutely scrumptious.

Here's hoping you ladies can stay the course.

The Snarkess said...

Relationships are an effort - I'm the kind of person who is tempted to run and hide when things get tough. I think it's so awesome that you're sticking with it AND showering your C. Love with romantic gestures. Sometimes when things get tough that's when all those special things tend to go out the window.

Hope things continue to work out and evolve and grow :)

weese said...

patience.
continue to respect and love eachother - even if at a distance for a time, and you will be fine.
a good bottle of wine never hurts.
i can say from experience...
its worth waiting through these times.