Thursday, October 19, 2006

closeted with Barbie


I was just thinking about Barbie- the doll, when leaving a comment on afunt's post and I started to get a little carried away with my thoughts, so I thought I should bring it over to my place to elaborate. Kind of sad I think... a Barbie? What the fuck. But come on now, she’s a tall blond…mmmmm- Anyway, I remember my obsession with Barbie’s when I was a kid, but what I mostly remember is that cool camper she had. I loved that thing. Of course my older brother used to steal it from me or I’d find it tipped over in the corner of the living room with his G.I. Joe’s ambushing it. But even when Barbie was hung by her feet and attached to the chandelier in the dining room she still looked kinda hot.

I grew up in a pretty large home in the suburbs of Boston; I loved that house, cried when my parents sold it and still drive by it whenever I get back there. It’s in my dreams all the time. We had a pretty large front door which led into a decent size foyer, but it wasn’t too large at all- just right. If you took a couple of steps to the right you were in the living room and a couple of steps left brought you to the dining room. The highlight of that foyer was the closet. We used it as a coat closet, but it was also a good enough size for a 5 year old to hang out in, plus it was carpeted. The closed was cool because the door wasn’t solid, it had slats in it which allowed me to see people going by (people like my mom, dad, brother, sister or dog.) but they couldn’t see me. It was awesome, I lived in that closet. Not literally, but that’s where Barbie and I hung out- that’s where the camper parked, and that was where I went whenever I wanted some “alone time” or to escape from the family.

When I think back on it, I find it kind of ironic that I spent most of my little kid days either in a basement or in a closet. I was in a closet with a tall leggy blond- nice. I wonder about that- not so much about Barbie but more about the fact that I hung out in a closet… it’s strange, right? I loved then, as I do now, feeling as if I can see everything going on around me but also feeling fully protected. I was hidden but involved and that feeling has followed me my whole life. I want to be on the outside looking in and then either open the door or enter the room when I feel I’m ready and not a moment sooner. Sure, I popped out of that closet a lot but I mostly stayed hidden, behind the slats and safe from the world. (my family)

Anyway, I loved Barbie and I loved that damn camper. I wish I still had it.

15 comments:

Zanne said...

Really related to "feeling as if I can see everything going on around me but also feeling fully protected...I want to be on the outside looking in and then either open the door or enter the room when I feel I’m ready and not a moment sooner." Peace! :)

Kelly said...

Nice post, R.D. Did you have the Barbie townhouse with the elevator too?

I remember my friend Tony and I trying to get Barbie and Big Jim together. Barbie took Ken to the prom but snuck out for a late-night rendezvous with Big Jim. He was too short for her but she was intrigued by his prehensile hands...

SassyFemme said...

Two thoughts...

One, I had a Barbie camper that I loved!

Two, I get what you mean about hanging out in the closet. I spent my younger years playing under the dining room table, or just sitting off on the side of the room, any room, watching. I don't think I got over being shy and just wanting to be off on the sidelines until college or so. Even now there are times when I just would rather watch, and stay quiet, until I don't feel like being quiet anymore.

Middle Girl said...

No Barbie fervor in my childhood-but my daughter made up--huge. She had the camper, dream house, she even got one of those Power Wheels electric cars to drive outside--like I said-huge.

I spent much of my childhood under cover (literally & figuratively) trying sooo very hard to stay below the radar...long story.

psst...I haven't been able to find any of my childhood favs-but I did find some Ninja Turtles & the Scooby Doo Mystery Van for my son & daughter (favs from their childhoods) last Christmas.

Great post-thanks for sharing.

The Mad Hatter said...

I NEVER had a barbie, I was way to tom-boy for that, you'd find me up a tree or something. My best mate was a barbe freak though, she had every single one, plus ken, and the van of course. When I used to go round her's, I'd undress her barbie and check out her bits (nothings changed there,only now its with someone who is'nt plastic)

I know what you mean about the liking to be on the outside looking in, Im the same, I wont go in til I feel I ready, safe enough!

I spent my childhood chasing chicks around, nothings changed then ;-)

Have a grand weekend hunny, nice post by the way :-)
XxXxXxXxXxX

afuntanilla said...

wonderful post. it's great that when you were little, you were able to have that "safe" and "protected" space. you write so well....i totally got a vivid picture. thanks

r.d. said...

zanne, here's to speaking the same language!

No kelly, no townhouse for me, but it sounds fantastic, I feel like I missed out. An elvator? nice...

sassy, it's funny that you mention being under the diningroom table, I did that too! what the hell is that all about, I loved being under there, kind of for the same reason: somewhat hidden, but involved. I used to read aloud under there...?

only daughter, I'm sorry there were no Barbie's in your past, but I see you survived just fine. Electric car? wow, she did something right I guess! excellent.

mad hatter, you would have loved Barbie... She got naked very easily! Oh believe me, she rode in my tonka trucks all the time. Barbie's tough,plus you could dress her any way you liked! Perfect-

Zoe said...

What a great post. I can totally relate to the escaping form the family in a closet but still being able to watch what was going on around you. I was such a private kid, probably having to do with being in the closet, but I liked being alone.

Never played with Barbie, I was too much of a tom-boy for that.

r.d. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
r.d. said...

Thank you so much afunt! One of my most favorite things to do in this world is either talk about my childhood or write about it. I'd go back in a second if I could-

Hey zoe,
It's funny to hear about little kids who enjoy being alone, but I get it completely. I was alone in my basement way too much I think. Maybe that's why I hate being social now- No dolls for you huh? I think I considered Barbie more of a toy than a girl doll. I know she had boobs and stuff but hell, what did I know- agin, I was only 5! worms, dirt, baseballs, my brother's friends, my swing set, my tonka trunk and my Barbie. that was all I needed a nice warm spring day.

Kelly said...

The townhouse was cool, R.D. Here's one that was on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Barbie-Townhouse-1975-In-Original-Box_W0QQitemZ230038752977QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15959QQcmdZViewItem

Frankly, it did look much better back in 1975.

Çileksuyu Sibel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
r.d. said...

Hey kelly, maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas... I hope you're feeling ok.

Hi sibella,
leave it to sisters to get the good stuff. Thanks for the words-

The Mad Hatter said...

Hunny,
You've probably realised already, but strawberry chocie pic is fairy, my beloved DIDNT LOOK before logging in and logged in with her turkish blog name :-(

So chick, if you dont mind can you PLEASE delete her comment cos her people dont know shes gay and if they found out, then, you know what would happen ;-)

Hope you dont mind hunny, cheers
Kisses XxXxXxXxXxX

r.d. said...

Hey mh, sorry it took me so long to delete. Not a problem.