Sunday, October 08, 2006

The weekend

Sometimes a little change of scenery is all that's needed to get you through to the next round- if you know what I mean.

We decided to head up to Saugatuck Michigan for the weekend; it's a quick three hour trip up there to what has been called The Cape Cod of the Mid-West. I'm not so quick in calling it that, in fact I wouldn't call it that at all, but for descriptive purposes we will allow it. Anyway, I took the day off on Friday and we ended up getting out of the house by 10:00 A.M.- not bad and then to our destination by around three o'clock (time change) After dealing with some major construction leaving Chicago, it was a pretty smooth trip the rest of the way. We've been to Saugatuck a couple of times before and we always end up saying the same thing: it's too small, there's not enough women, the bar (there's actually only like one) sucks, there's no good restaurants and there's too many families walking around, but we keep going back and back... go figure. We seem to be drawn to this place, but I'm not too sure why.

In order to keep things short and sweet here's a re-cap:
Things we bought: gas for the car, a sandwich on the way up, coffee when we arrived, a bottle of wine for the room, dinner, almost a really cool pair of shoes for C. Love, a panini sandwich and a new thumb ring for me- I've been looking for one with a thicker band. I found one and it's nice...
Not much purchased as you can see.

Things we did: Ate, drank, shopped, walked, sat on the beach, held hands, kissed a lot... cried, (long story) watched some TV., ate breakfast with strangers, talked a lot.
Not too much as you can see.

Things we discussed: Moving there, moving to California, the beauty of Race Point Beach, the lack of gay people in the most gay area of the Mid-West, our future, our past, our relationship and the fact that our room was overpriced, bad coffee, why there is only one coffee joint in the area, how much the Mid-West is just so Midwestern and how we keep getting stuck next to playgrounds-
Again, doesn't sound like much but way more than what I can describe- believe me.

We had a great weekend, we got in touch with some things that were lost and learned about some things in the process. We decided we need to seriously consider moving to California, how important good restaurants, bars, beautiful surroundings and cool clothing stores are to us and how we need to go away more- in other words we didn't really do, see or experience anything out of the ordinary but we didn't have to do it in the comfort of our own home for a change.

Things look better when things look different.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, it sounds like a productive weekend, R.D. I'm all for you and C. Love moving to California, although I know San Francisco is too cold for you. Right now we're experiencing our Indian Summer. It's 6 P.M. and it's 75 degress in usually foggy and cold Daly City.

I'm glad you two got away and were able to get together. :)

Trinity2 said...

Sounds like a good trip away! Sometimes you just need to breathe different air!
What about "Hot"lanta?

r.d. said...

Hey Kelly,
Thanks. San Fran is too chilly for us you're right. This weekend we had temps in the 70's but Thursday looks like it may feel like winter. I gotta get out out here fast!

t2, "Hot" lanta may be steamy but there's no way we can do the South! Plus I need to be by water...

Rissamama3 said...

r.d. sounds like a productive weekend sometimes you have to get away from the daily crap to really get below the surface too much daily stuff in the house to really concentrate, I start to think about the dishes and the laundry and the mopping all while having a conversation with Jman and before I know it I have no idea what he said.

Zoe said...

Sounds like a much needed get away.

Maggie said...

That sounds like a great weekend. Keep us posted on the California thing!

Middle Girl said...

Sounds like it was well worth the drive and bad coffee.

Wishing you both well and your journey continues.

r.d. said...

I agree with you betty, the routine thing gets so old so fast. Everyone needs a change of scenery- it does a body good!

It was zoe, we always wait too damn long to do it. Gotta change that-

I definately will maggie, hopefully it will become a reality, but who knows...

t.o.d., thanks! I have no idea what the bad coffee thing was about. The place is cool and it's what they do! I hate that-

afuntanilla said...

r.d. -- just watch out for the STEEP prices of EVERYTHING in california.

SassyFemme said...

It sounds like a near perfect weekend.

I'll put my vote in for CT... cheaper than CA., liberal as can be, near the water or on the water, good coffee. As for the snow? Um....er.... you're used to it? LOL

weese said...

I would have to agree with Sassy.
but we are sooo biased.

r.d. said...

I know afunt, I know. That's one thing holding us back.

Sorry sass, can't do CT. If we ever go back East it'll be the Newburyport area. But It'll definately be Cape Cod in the summer! and yes, I am used to the damn snow.

I hear you weese