Tuesday, April 10, 2007

retro chic (maybe)


Here's the deal: I have this 'old school', club chair I want to clean up and make presentable but I don't know where to start. I think the thing is from the 1950's and I just can't throw it away because I think it's cool looking; plus it came straight from my basement where I spent most of my childhood, so I'm still attached. I managed to bring it all the way from Boston to Chicago but it has never actually made it inside any of our homes since then. It's been banished to the storage rooms from day one. C. Love has wanted to toss the thing for years now but I've managed to distract her from the process. I tried to sell it a couple of years ago by putting it out on the front lawn with some other huge items and throwing a sign on it, but no one seemed interested. I don't actually blame them, I mean the thing looks a little beat up and yes-old, so unless you have an eye for design or the ability to see the potential in something, you might just pass it off as a piece of junk.

I saw it today when I decided to put the shovel away for the winter (huge leap of faith, but whatever). It was shoved in the corner with some boxes on it. I picked it up, fixed the rubber type slats on the seat, rearranged the cushions and sat down. It was confirmed once again just how much I love the look and the feel of this damn chair! It's got a wooden frame, a seat cushion and a back cushion-that's it. All I think I need to do is reupholster the cushions, clean up the wood, buy some new slats and I'm good to go. The cushions are foam and the have a cover that can be taken off, it's kind of low to the ground and perfect for lounging. I've never done any of this type of stuff before, it's not that I'm opposed to it it's just that I've never had the desire. I'd rather buy new than fix up the old but in this case things are a little different.

So anyone out there know how to go about something like this? I'm looking for tips, details, wood info, upholstery info- the whole nine yards. Talk to me like I'm five and take it slow. I've been told to fix it up first and then we'll see if it is presentable enough to come inside. I need some help.

6 comments:

Zoe said...

I've always wanted to do that sort of thing, but I never have. So, I got nothing useful for you. At least you live in a city that will have some good fabric stores where you might actually find upolstry fabric that would fit the retro or mod style, or what ever style it is you're looking for. If you still can't find what you're lookig for you might want to check out the ad listings of dwell.com and readymademag.com.

r.d. said...

Thanks anyway zoe, looks like everyone feels the same way you do. You are correct, we have the fabric stores so I'll figure something out.

SheA said...

r.d that sounds like a great piece of furniture. i love the retro thing. Good Luck with getting it ship-shaped. Wish I knew how to do that sorta thing.

r.d. said...

Yeah, me too.

storm indigo said...

i can only offer encouragement. please show us when your are done

r.d. said...

Thanks Storm, I will if I ever get there.