Monday, June 11, 2007

strumming, singing and moaning

OK, still feeling a bit angry so I'm going off on my neighbors-here’s the deal: In the apartment across the hall from me there lives a couple who happen to be (I think) professional musicians. The problem is that they practice day and night and it’s fucking annoying when I just want some peace and quiet. And believe me, I could really use some peace and quiet, I have enough racket going on in my head these days.

They’re not rock stars by any means; I believe they are classical musicians. The woman is a singer and the dude plays the harp and piano. Most of the time it's pleasant because the music is gentle and kind of soothing- sounds like wind chime, new age meditation music. Believe me I’d much rather have someone singing classical music and playing the harp than screaming with an electric guitar. The clincher is when they plug in the amp- that’s right, I said amp. I think they have a synthesizer over there too. Now an amp in an apartment building is not right. I’m cool with a little acoustic rock, maybe a flute here and there, maybe even a piano but an amp? No way. It’s like a studio over there. They play late into the night and start early in the morning. It’s not every day, but I don’t think they work; they only leave the building when they have a gig at night. Plus they argue all the time, huge blow-outs with her high pitched screaming and doors slamming you'd think someone was getting murdered. The thing that bugs me about (opera) singers is the same thing that bugs me about (ballet) dancers: they both can't stop doing it. They sing when they walk the dog and they dance whenever they are in motion. Stop it!

The music in itself is annoying enough but It’s like these two don’t know how to live around other people either. They have no regard for others and I don’t get it. They are the type of people who have no boundaries- you know come home late at night, stumbling up the stairs,talking as if they were the only two people in the neighborhood. Sure, I’d like to crank my stereo late at night but do I? No because I’m normal. I’m a normal, considerate neighbor. They're loud, they're annoying, they're rude and they're out of control.

Saturday morning at 7, we were woken up with the sound(s) of them having sex. Windows open, she's an opera singer...you get the picture.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, man. They sound like a nightmare. Your point about ballet dancers and opera singers cracked me up. So, so true.

I don't envy you their sexual seranade. Aria orgasms don't sound pretty.

SheA said...

That kind of sex hurts my ears...YeeOUCH.

Maria said...

I used to know a woman who was a ballet dancer and she did that dancing thing constantly. I finally just asked her about it and she said, "Well, I am a dancer...I MUST dance."

So, I told her that I was a psychologist and needed to analyze her.

She stopped dancing in front of me...

SassyFemme said...

Could you write them an anonymous letter telling them how much you often enjoy their music (err, not the sex music), but asking them to keep it down between certain hours?

r.d. said...

No they don't kelly, especially at 7 AM on a Saturday!

Hey shea, at least we hear the harp more than the moans... They fight more than they have sex.

You see maria, that's what I'm saying! "They MUST dance", I know, man don't we all know. Nice comeback by the way, maybe I should try that the next time.

Yes sassyfemme I could and I almost did- once. It's so damn pleasant most of the time- like lullaby stuff. One time the guy was singing what sounded like Irish music so late at night on a night when all windows were open. I swear you could hear him from miles away. I think somebody yelled "shut-up" but I was just amazed he was actually doing it I found it kind of funny after awhile. But yes, I will leave a note if that amp comes back. (geez, that was a long comment)

Trinity2 said...

Man,they would not last long if I lived there. Harp strings would keep mysteriously breaking and the amp would always short out- know what I mean?

afuntanilla said...

ahhh-- I can sooooo relate. I'm sorry to hear of the annoying neighbor noise.

i, too, am surrouded by neighbors who think they are the only ones who live on the street. uuugghhhh

i can empathize and sympathize...also, C. told me about neighbors when we visited ya'll...

r.d. said...

Hey afunt,
when did C get to you without me? Neighbors suck- sorry you can relate.