Friday, July 13, 2007

butt ugly

The one and only reason I can't wait until January 2008 is because this is when the Smoke-Free Illinois Act will take effect. I'm so fucking tired of coming home after a night out smelling like smoke; it's bad enough that I reek of alcohol but couple that with stale cigarette smell and It makes me feel like a big fat bar boozer.

I hate smoking. I hate smoke, the smell of smoke, the look of a cigarette, ash trays and smokers breath. Unlike so many people, I don't find smoking to be sexy or "cool"- believe me I could name about a thousand other things that I would allow the coolness label to be attached to. I also find it annoying and somewhat rude when smokers file outside during a party (regardless of the weather) because they need a hit- and they never seem to go alone. Smoking seems old school, totally addictive instead of enjoyable, dirty and just plain stupid if you ask me.

I don't care that people smoke as long as they never come out of their house or car to do it. Now if I could only get a loud talking act to pass, I'd be good to go.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

It's been great having smoke-free spaces here in California. It's been quite awhile now (maybe 10 or 15 years?).

I'll sign that loud talking ban petition for you. :)

Maggie said...

Montana has one and it's so nice. I can actually go out now! (Horrible allergies to smoke)

I'd go for a "You have to shower every day" petition.

Zoe said...

It will be nice when Illinois is smoke free. I always have horrible sinus headaches the morning after we go to shows in Chicago. And yes I drink, but it's not a hangover, it's a smoke allergy problem. I hope Indiana goes smoke free too.

Maria said...

I smoked for ten years before finally quitting and although I still dream about smoking (I haven't had a cigarette in 25 years, but nicotine is so so bad), I just hate the smell of it.

And the smell permeates everything, even my purse...

r.d. said...

I had no idea it has been that long kelly- chalk another one up for CA! Oh, that petition is in the mail...

Hey maggie, problems with uncleanliness out there in Montana huh? Must be all that good air- sometimes it makes people feel too free.

Smoke allergy's must suck zoe, I hope for your sake (since you're the only one I semi know)Indiana jumps on the bandwagon soon.

maria, first of all congratulations on dropping the habit and just for the record- dreaming is good. I hope your Thursday appt. went ok-

Trinity2 said...

I know - we get spoiled from the non-smoking law here in Decatur. I find that I won't go to bars and restaurants in other parts of town that don't have them. Despite having the pleasure of lighting up in the past it still pisses me off when I have to smell smoke when I am eating and drinking!

Middle Girl said...

Thankfully smoking is banned in the public buildings I inhabit the most. However, often I have to wade through a sea of smokers to get there.

I read recently that there is a growing trend to ban smoking in open air areas as well.

I don't mind loud talkers (too much) it's the smokers who want to (after having smoked their weight) have close, in my face, conversations. Yuk!