Wednesday, December 19, 2007

baby, it's cold outside

I'm feeling a bit of a draft these days and it's not necessarily because of the frigid temps outside -or maybe it is, I'm not quite sure. That's OK- Christmas time has a way of affecting different people in many funky ways. Most people are walking around in circles totally stressed out from all the mayhem or... depressed but I'm good because I'm just kind of sitting back under my tree watching the season go by.

Lately I've felt like I've been wrapped in blurry Christmas lights. Work has been crazy busy, so my long days have blended into even longer nights filled with too much red wine and mellow Christmas music but tis the season I guess, it's what I gotta do- Just chillin', literally watching the snow fall. Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole have completely invaded my stereo system and gingerbread and truffles have happily replaced beer and pretzels. On the down side I've had way too much snow to shovel, windshields to scrape, parties to attend, cards to mail and people to call/e-mail and winter is in full force around here. I'm freezing, it always seems like it's dark outside and I'm tired as hell. But at the end of the day I always find a way to manage to relax-drink and eat and sleep like a baby. If the cards didn't get sent, people didn't get called and chores ignored it's all good because when you're walking around in a haze of Christmas lights nothing really matters.

The other day I was lying on my couch thinking about how my Dad used to make an awesome holiday Champagne punch for our "open house", Christmas Eve party every year. For some reason I just loved watching him make it; bottles of this, bottles of that, orange slices and a huge,cool chunk of ice in the middle of it. The punch was a hit and there was never any left at the end of the night. The deviled eggs were always wiped out too. Right now I'm staring at my mantle with all those photos of babies and children and families and I'm wondering if I would do the same if I had kids- I think not actually. I like cards, real cards.

On Saturday morning we fly out to Boston and then drive up to Maine. We'll stay in Maine until Christmas morning, and then drive back to Boston in time for Christmas dinner. We head back to Chicago 2 days after that and settle in for the end of the year. There will be no holiday punch or open house parties, but there will be lobster rolls, little kids, Christmas cheer, lots of love and probably snow- (I could do without the snow)

Merry Christmas to all- I hope the magic finds you.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Merry Christmas to you and C Love, R.D., and here's to a great 2008 for you both.

Zoe said...

I'm trying really hard to not stress this year. So far I'm doing okay. BP and I have both come down with whatever cold/bug thing is going around and we start our holiday doings on Saturday and don't stop until the 26th. It's going to suck, big time.

My happy thoughts about the holidays include eggs benedict and hot wassail tea. Both are Christmas traditions with my family.

Hope you have happy holidays.

afuntanilla said...

have a safe and fun trip. you could send some snow this way...i'd sure take it!!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and C a safe trip and happy holidays!

r.d. said...

Thanks kel! all the same to you. Cheers!

Good luck zoe, my advice is to find a corner somewhere and let people come to you. I hope you feel better and are able to enjoy it. Merry Christmas to you and BP-

The snow is in the mail afunt- no problem. I hope you have a nice Holiday wherever you are and whomever you're with- Talk to you soon!

Thanks t2, cheer and good wishes to you and B too! Enjoy the festivities.

SassyFemme said...

Hope you're having a wonderful time, and Christmas was great for you and yours!