Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Revelation

I must first apologize for my insensitivity before I move forward. I've been so consumed over this stupid blog that I didn't even mention to LAL how sorry I was to hear of her father's passing. A total stranger but none the less, feel badly for her. I commented on her "death" post but failed to offer any sympathy- rude. I'm sorry.

O.k., so I just started this "lesbian" themed blog because I'm so fed up with the "community" in Chicago. Hate the word lesbian by the way, so it's difficult to lable it as such, but right now I don't have a choice. Anyway, the Los Angeles chick and tg responded with some not so favorable comments about the LA scene. Too bad. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the women, gay or straight, living amongst the fake plastic trees tend to be a wee bit lifeless. I guess the lesbian scene in LA isn't really a good representation of most cities since authenticity in la la land seems to be lost in the fa la lameness. It was nice to hear from two Los Angeles ladies it's not all wine and roses in sunny CA. I'll take beer and pizza anyway.

If you can get yourself into the community, wherever it may be the struggle still remains. It's especially difficult for my partner and myself for a number of reasons: 1. we are a couple and have been together for a long time with no interest in bringing a third party into the mix. 2. we look "straight" to strangers- straight meaning attractive, sexy, well- dressed women. 3. we have a lot of straight friends and hang out with them-included in that, we like men. 4. shallow or not we prefer to hang out with other attractive, well dressed lesbian couples- good luck to us. 5. we belong to the Chicago Rainbow and while we have attended a number of events, we are not interested in going out with 15 other people to a knitting circle or " board game night". 6. We are thin. There are many more, but my point being the one reason we are somewhat obsessed with the L Word is because this is the closest representation of our lives- details aside.

So anyway for nine years since moving to Chicago we have been trying to break into the lesbian community and it's just recently that we actually have. Granted, our own issues may have gotten in the way, but my point is is that we haven't felt "welcomed" because of our looks. So cheers to The L Word if only for the one reason that they have represented the other side of lesbians. It's about time, now maybe we can all mingle. I started this blog because I didn't want to talk about it on my other one. Things may get a little harsh.



1 comment:

The Mad Hatter said...

Hi,
Ive just found your blog,I love it. I have just started my own one about lesbian life in London.
Take care, and Il stay tuned.