Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Winter Solstice

I feel like I have one more night to do all I can do, (whatever that is) to prepare myself for what's to come. Tomorrow morning we head out to Boston, pick up the rental car and from then on I have no idea what will transpire- both mentally or physically. The one thing I'm holding on to is the fact that Friday is Winter Solstice. Not only is it the shortest day and longest night of the year but the sun is at its lowest point in the sky. The good news and what I'm holding on to is from this day forward the days begin to get longer and the nights shorter. To me, that only means one thing: summer is on its way... I wait all year for this day.

This Winter Solstice thing couldn't come at a better time because come Friday my dad will still be in intensive care; C. Love and I will not know whether or not we will need to separate come Christmas morning; we may have to actually spend Christmas in the hospital; we will be freezing to death because my sister lives in a mansion(not really) and keeps her heat practically off; dinner will be out of our control unless we offer to cook; we will have to share a bathroom with my mom, (hopefully dad) and my two nephews and not have any idea what the coming days will be like. Maybe when the sun starts elevating again, other things in the universe will shift- like good health, prosperity and joy. I was really looking forward to going home this year- enjoying my family in Boston and then heading up to Maine to laugh and love with C. Love's family but now everything's up in the air. I may have to stick around Boston if my dad is still in the hospital but I don't want C. Love to not see her own family so she may take the four hour drive up North solo- I hate the thought of that.

It's hard to not have any idea how I'm going to feel when I'm at home. Usually whenever I see the family my guard is up, I stick close to the kids and steer clear of any political, social or spiritual conversations with the adults. I really don't want to burst into tears when I hug my dad or mom; I don't think I will, although I don't trust myself too much with this one. The crying I don't mind but the timing of it I do. I can't pay attention to anything else going on when I do so I'd rather save it. I just need to hang on and not let my mind dip into that fragile space but as we all know sometimes stopping that from happening is like stopping Winter Solstice from ever ending-it's impossible.

I have to hold on to the fact that my dad is still alive, it's still Christmas time, there's a beautiful golden retriever at the home we are staying at, my niece is performing in The Nutcracker in the Boston Ballet and last but not least, summer is right around the corner. Bring it on-

10 comments:

Kelly said...

You have so much on your plate, R.D., and I know it's hard. It will help to see your father with your own eyes and talk with him and get answers to any questions from doctors or whomever directly instead of through an intermediary.

Try to stay in the moment and deal with each situation as it arises. I know it's easier said than done, but I also know that you are strong spiritually and that you know how to go within.

I'm thinking about you and C. Love and your father and sending you much love.

Middle Girl said...

Keeping a good thought for you, C. Love and your families.

Peace be with you all.

yay to summer.

The Mad Hatter said...

I'll be thinking of you hun. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers ... christmas morning I'll be taking my YEARLY trip to church and I'll say a prayer there for you too.

I hope your dad is slowly on the mend, but like you said, be thankful you have him around this christmas, even thought he will be in hospital ...

Sticking with the kids is my way out on these gatherings too, their more fun than the adult ;-)

Safe journey to you both and we're sending you lofts of love and kisses XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Zoe said...

I hope everything works out so C Love doesn't have to go alone to visit her family. Sounds like great holiday fun for you this year. I hope you can make the best out of it.

afuntanilla said...

i hope your journey goes well. i will hold warm and kind thoughts for you and those you love. be good to yourself

The Snarkess said...

Here's to summer...I'm with you, rd. Enough of this short day long night family sentimental intensity.

It will all work out - sending good vibes to Chi-town. :)

r.d. said...

Thanks kel, I'm here... One second at a time. I know I'll be alright (I think)

Thanks a lot only daughter-I appreciate the thoughts!

Hey mh, sorry for the bad subject-I know you've had enough of all of this hospital crap. I hope you and fairy have a warm, wonderful holiday and I'm thinking of you too-thanks.

Me too zoe, as long as I carve out some space for myself I'll be fine and C. love and I always do ok regardless of what's going on around us. But you're right, it still sucks. I can't wait til after the New Year. Thanks for the words.

Thanks afunt, my journey will be different to say the least but this is what's going on right now so I'll work with it!

Thanks Claire, feeling the warm vibes -thanks!

Maggie said...

Happy Solstice!! Bring on the sun!!!

Hope you have a safe and great holiday!

Fairy said...

i'm sorry to hear about ur dad darling,i'm sure he will be fine,having a lovely family around him.i'm enjoying the winter but always love summer MORE..have a great year and a happy christmas..love,xxxx

Kelly said...

I'm glad you two made it safe, sound and before Christmas! :)

Take good care and hang in there.