Saturday, March 25, 2006

The power of now


Every Saturday I go for a run down to the lakefront, it’s only about a mile down but to make it longer I do a huge loop. Today I wore my Boston Red Sox knit hat because my blogging buddy Kelly got me all excited about New England and baseball season. Damn her. It’s still 40 degrees with no warm up in sight; but as chilly as it was on the lake a hint of spring was definitely in the air. The sun has real warmth to it and you can tell by the sky that it’s not January sun. Just a little while longer I guess.

I have an uncontrollable need to run down to lake whenever I go out because it oddly feels like an escape into endless possibility. I can’t breathe during the week, mentally or physically because of the state of mind I’m in these days. I’ve been feeling trapped, stuck, frustrated, and today- quite sad. I’m not happy with where I am in my life and I want things to change. When I run down to the lake my mind opens up and I can breath. I’m usually able to write a potential article or post in my head every time or get some sort of inspiring thought along the way. Monday through Friday I’m shut down and it sucks big time. I hate my job because of how mind numbing it actually is. I work in a basement which is kind of ironic because I remember wanting to spend endless amounts of time in my basement as a little kid; by myself with my records. I don’t want to do it anymore, now I have my CD’s, but it doesn’t feel good. It’s not like I don’t see the light of day from 9-4, I get outside once in awhile and head to the other part of the building where the sky light and doors are but the trapped feeling remains. I made the decision many, many years ago that I would never put myself into a job that I hated, so I worked in the music buisness and life was grand. No money, but life was grand. Then somehow I ended up in the job I am in now and have been there for close to 9 or 10 years-I don’t even know. I never hated my job and I don’t really hate it now, I’m just fed up with everything surrounding it and my mind is turning to mush. The job has been very enjoyable over the years: entertaining, comfortable, easy, pays well, good insurance, flexibility around my schedule, no weekends and I’ve made some long lasting friendships. All of that has been wonderful but over the last year or so it has become increasingly unbearable to be there. My soul is not aligned with my work and when that happens -look out. I try to accept the frustration as a positive force because now maybe I’ll make some sort of move, whereas for the last 8 years I’ve been basking in the convenience of the job and meandering through life.

There are too many times in a week that I say ‘I don’t want to do this”, or “I wish …”, or “I want…” I’m tired of wanting for more when all I really have to do is go out and get it; that’s the hard part. That’s what takes determination, discipline, commitment, hard work, and lots of faith. I don’t want it to be warm out when it’s not, I don’t want to be driving a 1990 Toyota Camry that was handed to me from my girlfriends parents when all I want is a Jeep Wrangler. I don’t want to come home from work and turn on the TV or computer and pour a glass of red wine when what I really want is to step out onto my porch with brarefeet and a beer because it’s too hot for red wine. I don’t want to dream about heading to Cape Cod for two months in the summer when all I get is a week in August with my parents. (not that I’m not thankful for that), I don’t want to work in a basement, I want to be creative from my own home, I want kids to have already read my picture book and not hate the fact that it’s really only in idea form on my computer. I don’t want to argue with my girlfriend about money, all I want to do is spend it with her and not have to worry, and I don’t want to blog about what I want, I’d rather live the live I’ve imagined where I've imagined it.

I’ve made the decision to make my living as a writer about two years ago. I was fortunate to get published within that first year and then again a bit later but nothing since and I’m starting to worry. I’m concerned because I know in my heart of hearts I don’t want to go the freelance route-that completely sucks. I’m not sure how I want to write or even if I want to write at all. I actually hate the act of writing. I’ve recently hired a writing coach to help me along. At times I feel guilty with wanting more when so many people have less, but I keep telling myself that they can have more to-everyone can. On my run I was thinking about how much I actually do have in my life and to try to concentrate on that instead when I remembered The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. He’s a great spiritual teacher. When I came back from my run I remembered we had some The Power of Now inspirational cards collecting dust under our coffee table and I opened it up. The one on top was “the power of being present.”

The struggle with the power of being present in life is one that haunts me; and one I need to work on because I know it could help me out. My partner and I are very spiritual people; not in the religious sense, but in the universal sense. I believe that everything happens for a reason and we are all exactly where we are supposed to be at every moment. But that’s a difficult concept to grasp, especially when your mind tends to wander. I guess I’ll work on that tonight; C. Love comes home in two hours. I guess it’s time to get in the shower, get dinner figured out, clean up the mess I made from the day, chill the wine and be thankful I can do all that.

The card said this: "Make it a habit"- To monitor your mental-emotional state through self observation. "Am I at ease at this moment?" is a good question to ask yourself frequently. Or youcan ask: "What's going on inside me at this moment?". You want to know what I say to that? No and I'm starving.

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Aw, c'mon now, r.d. Don't hate the messenger bearing news of baseball! It's time to watch "Field of Dreams" and get all misty-eyed when Kevin Costner's character asks his father if he wants to have a catch. It gets me every time.

Now, I have to ask, are you my twin separated at birth, r.d.?

I can identify with so much of this post that it scares me. I, too, have the love-hate relationship with writing and I'm at a crossroads about what, if anything, I want to do about it. I not only have read "The Power of Now", I've studied it in a spiritual workshop I'm in twice a month. That book pulled me out of a deep depression last year at this time when I came to grips with the end of a relationship, thinking my car was stolen and with quitting a job. I really got in touch with the pain-body stuff, big time.

We should chat, r.d. Drop me an email if you feel like it.

Zoe said...

It souds like you and I are in quite a similar place right now. I hate my job, and oddly enough I've been dong the same job for half of my life(I also work in a basement),really it's the only job I've ever had. I've stayed because I thought I was helping to build something with my dad. Now I find the thought of going to work so intoleralbe that I can barely drag myself to work everyday. I stay up late every night so I feel like I've done the things I wanted to do for the day, and not just gone to a job hate in order to pay the bills. I am looking for a new job, but so far no luck. BP graduates soon, and then what? Do we stay here? I mean we only have two years of equity in this house and the market isn't fantastic right now. Do I go back to school which means continuing to stress over money? Do we finally start a family? If we are really going to have kids we need to start soon, we aren't getting any younger. I just don't know. But, I feel lucky that I have someone who I love more than anything to share this journey with. I have to stop lamenting the paths I did not take and enjoy the one I'm on. And though we may not have everything we want, and we have to worry about money all the time, we are lucky to have what we do have.
Good luck to you. I hope you find your way.

r.d. said...

Don't worry Kelly I don't hate the messenger. I'm waiting to rent "Fever Pitch" for opening day. That's the closest I can get to Fenway! I'm glad you were able to get yourself out of your depression and move on. I have a hard time hearing my inner voice, but when I do I always feel better. Maybe we'll connect someday...somewhere.

Zoe, I hear you; I start getting depressed on Sunday around noon because of the next 5 days. I can't stand it. I yawn all day, every day because I'm so bored all the time. I too am sleep deprived because I stay up too late doing this... I know, we are very lucky to have a partner in all of this and I tell myself that every day. Things will work out,I have faith.

I say you guys move out here to civilized Chicago. Maybe you need a change of scenery. That's so funny you're in a basement too. I cracked up when I read that. Maybe we need to take a road trip out to see Kelly in San Fran. I'll buy the first round. Take care

Kelly said...

Thanks for reminding me about "Fever Pitch". I think I'll put that in the Netflix queue. Great idea!

I start getting depressed on Sunday afternoons as well. I'm in a new job with great beneifts, more money than I've ever made and an overall supportive environment. My boss can be demanding and abrasive but not all the time. The main thing is, it's not nourishing to my soul. I don't want to be pushing papers in an office. My problem is quitting jobs without another in the hopes that I'll find something that will make me happy. I feel like a heroin addict chasing after that first high.

I'm always up for a cocktail, either here or in the Windy city. Definitely let me know if you and your partner are heading out this way. The only thing I've seen of Chicago is the terminals at O'Hare. If I'm planning a trip out your way, I'll let you know and I'll buy that first round. :)

Hang in there!

r.d. said...

Hey Kelly,
I guess the Sunday afternnon blues have set in... we're off to watch the last episode of The L Word at a bar so at least I'll be a little distracted this week. God this sucks. Anyway have a good week and we'll talk soon.

Oh, I shot you an e-mail...

Kelly said...

Hopefully, the season finale will help with the blues and not add to them.

I got the email and shot you one back. :)

Zoe said...

Well The L Word did nothing for my sunday blues. At least my softball team starts practicing next sunday.

Kelly said...

I'm with you, Zoe. The L Word didn't help. The only thing that would have helped is if Tina would have gotten run over by a truck.

Well, there's always next season...

r.d. said...

K and Z, nothing for me either. It sucked. I hate watching it with a crowd, but it helped with the dull Sunday evening routine. I hope you both enjoy your week ahead.

The Mad Hatter said...

Girlfriend I have no words of wisdom but Im right beside you. I too am having some of those "where is my life going" days. Here's my thing, fuck off to everyone and everything and lets you, me and kelly run off to the beach somewhere nice and hot, open our own business teaching surfing, kite surfing and all the extreme sports, you can jog on the beach whenever you want, I can watch ;-0 and kelly can be our spiritual guru ;-) How's that sound sweetie?

XxX

r.d. said...

Hey Mad Hatter, it sounds warm and inviting! Thanks for more brain fuel for my imagination!

Kelly said...

I'm with you, Mad Hatter. As long as I have lots of sunblock and some shade on that beach, I'm there.

The Mad Hatter said...

R.D, I'm happy to help sweetie thang ;-)

XxX

The Mad Hatter said...

Kelly, darling you'll have all the shade you need in the pub Im gonna build on the beach ;-0

XxX

Kelly said...

Excellent. Let me hand you that hammer and nails...

The Mad Hatter said...

Kelly,
HA-HA-HA We can call it THE PADDY PALACE, oh yeah, as Im building, you have to keep the beers flowing down my neck.

Aaaaahhhhhh damn, I just hammered my bloody finger ;-0

XxX