Friday, June 09, 2006

Don't forget to floss

How can the feeling be the same as when your were seven as it is at forty one? I get it because it's me; I'm the same little kid just in a bigger body and with more stuff going on in the mind, but this one particular event has been the same every year(or 6 months) for my entire life and I find it amazing.

After my dentist has scraped and brushed and pricked I always get the same result and lucky for me it's always been a good one. I've done what I've supposed to have done which is brush in between meals and flossed; I brush after I eat any meal and floss religiously. As soon as that bib gets taken off and I get handed that toothbrush that same exact feeling comes rushing in: a sense of accomlisment and pride.

When I was little my dentist's office was inside his home which was only four houses, down a hill and around the corner away. Since it was so close by my mom let me go by myself, which was a huge enough deal on its own. The trip home was an even bigger joy, as I just couldn't wait to bust in the kitchen door and announce "no cavities!" I can see it now: my little red messy pigtails, huge smile on my face, out of breath from the sprint up the hill home and toothbrush clutched in hand. My mom was always in the kitchen waiting; waiting to give me that big hug and kiss- that held me for the rest of the day. I threw down the toothbrush on the counter and out to play I went, as content as any little kid could be.

The other day it was all the same except my dentist office is now in the office building across from my job and I strolled out the door and back into work instead of sprinting home. But I still couldn't wait to get in the door and tell the first person I saw "no cavititis!" The feeling of clutching that toothbrush and announcing my results is exactly the same as it was back when the only thing that matered in my world was winning at kickball, walking the dog, and getting that kiss goodnight from my parents.

It's funny sometimes, (actually a lot of times) I can totally feel what it was like when I was young and innocent. I'm so thankful my life experiences haven't shrouded my sense of simplicity from childhood. If anything they've only enriched them.

7 comments:

jojo said...

o, i can so relate. i love going to the dentist. i am weird like that. it is those little pleasures that have not left me. new toothbrush in tow and not wanting to eat anything for fear of tainting my newly polished and cavity free accomplishment. only now i wish i could get a discount for my good hygiene.

Maggie said...

I also love the dentist. But, not for the sense of accomplishment.
My dentist is big on giving the gas and it's the only place I can lay down without my kids jumping on me.
I don't know why more mothers are breaking into dentists' offices for that nitrous oxide...damn!

Kelly said...

I, too, am a flossing fanatic. I can't claim no cavities, but I love the feel of freshly brushed and flossed teeth. When I come home from the dentist I actually hate to eat and "mess" up the feeling.

To quote one of my past dentists, "Teeth, not the eyes, are the window to the soul." I may not go quite that far, but healthy, well-cared for teeth are a bit of a turn-on...

The Mad Hatter said...

God you lot are lucky, I have nightmares when I think of my time as a child at the dentist.

When I was 12 and having my braces fitted, before the fitting I had to have 4 teeth removed. Now as the dentist was removing the first one, he pulled and pulled and only half my tooth came out, leaving me pouring with lots of blood and cos I had red hair, I fucking bled more. Since then, the only way to scare me was to mention 'THE DENTIST':-(

But now I must admit, I alwasy told I have a beautiful set of fangs ;-)

XxXxX

r.d. said...

Wow, I had no idea the dentist was so popular!

No, you're not weird earth monkey. I love getting my 'period' every month- now that's strange!

hey maggie, anything for some peace and quiet right?

A turn-on kelly? never heard that one before, but I like it...

ouch. Geez mad hatter that sounds traumatic! I'm glad it was all worth it?
Hey, what's up with the drawing? I miss that boat, but the angels are cool...

Kelly said...

Well, yellow, disgusting teeth are a major turn-off. Not a mouth I want to kiss. When the teeth are that bad, the breath ain't much better.

r.d. said...

I hear ya kelly, don't worry