Sunday, June 11, 2006

No Fear

The other night we happen to be hanging out at a bar where for some reason the back room at this place is always where all the lesbians go. The gay men and straight couples stay in the front where it's non smoking and a little more inviting- go figure. We go to this place often because they have decent pub food, they show the "L Word", and because every once in awhile it's refreshing to hang out with mostly women- gay ones. So we stopped in for one last beer before calling it a night, headed straight to the bar stools in the pit (back room) and watched- sometimes in amazement, young drunk lesbians... just being themselves and it was very, very funny. The outfits alone are enough to keep you laughing. C.Love was asking me how I thought I would have been as a young, punk lesbian on the prowl and I told her I honestly didn't know, but I was thinking that I really wish I had the opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately at the age of 19 I was too angry with myself and the world around me to be aware of the fact that I was gay, let alone secure enough with myself to actually have any bold moves directed towards anyone-gay or un-gay. When I watch all these young women struting their stuff whether it's geeky or cool stuff, I get a little jealous. Shit, I wish I could go back to being single and a young punk with all the confidence, coolness and attractiveness I have now. I think I'd have a lot of fun to say the least! Unfortunately twenty years ago not only was it not anywhere near accepted as it is today to be gay, but any 'gay' bar was filled with creepy looking older men only. I guess the gay women were out trying to be discrete or actually most were probably masquerading as happy straight women with their boyfriends by their side.

It seems so easy these days to be gay and out and even though I completely understand the internal struggle with coming out or accepting one's self as such, I feel so badly for people that struggle with it- young or old. Since thankfully, after much tormoil, I am beyond all of that, I can see things a hell of a lot clearer now. Hiding your sexuality from your family, friends or yourself seems so old school and so much easier to let go of than to hold on to and it's all such a waste of time. But I know... all the issues, so many issues. I get it, believe me. When I was a freshman in college fooling around with my roomate who was a sophmore and had a boyfriend, acknowleding that I was gay was the farthest thing from my mind. I wasn't gay, I was just simply attracted sexually to my hot, blond roomate! That was it and if you tried to tell me otherwise I had a wall set up so thick there was no way I heard a word you were saying. I understand that's what it's like for a lot of people, I hear about it all the time.

Anyway, back to what what I'm trying to say; I'm thankful to be where I am in my life with my sexuality and my relationship with C. Love, but sometimes I just wonder what it would have been like to be young, single and confident in the 'gay scene' of today. If I were to guess, I'd be hanging with those young punks from the other night. And just like now, I'd be lounging on the couch or hanging at the bar waiting for the ladies to come to me instead of the other way around. I've always just played it cool only back then I was too confused to know what to do with it. I know it's pointless to wonder about what could have been if..., but sometimes I'd just like to know what I'd have in me as a young, carefree, fearless lesbian looking for love.

15 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I've wondered so many times what it would have been like to have come out at 16 or 17 when I first thought about it, or 18, 19, 20 or any age until I actually did. I know I wouldn't be where I am today (and wouldn't really want to trade anything for where I am, I love it), but I still can't help but wonder what it would have been like.

Maggie said...

Unfortunately, here in Montana, often coming out is not an option. At a swimming pool a couple of days ago, two younger women, who were obviously into each other, were flirting terribly. My youngest and I were splashing nearby and when it dawned on them how close we were, fear immediately came to their eyes.
So, I said the first thing that came to my head (and yea, I know it was stupid)
"Hey, I like the L Word too"
But, at least the fear was gone.

Zoe said...

I sometimes wonder what that be like, as long as I didn't have to be same self-destructive trainwreck that I was back then. I went right from boyfriend to BP at 21, so I was never young, gay and single, or I should say I never knew I was gay during the times I was younger and single. I don't know, it's really hard just trying to imagine what it would be like to be single, and I'm glad that I don't have to.

Kelly said...

Playing the "what if" game is a constant in my life and it never makes me feel good afterwards. I often wonder how my life would be different if I had self-confidence and a healthy sense of self-worth back then. Hell, I wonder what it would be like now.

But that's another story...

The Mad Hatter said...

From an early age I knew I was gay, but never came out to my famly til I met fairy, cos I knew she was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, and I wanted to share my joy with my loved ones. It kinda didnt go like that though, the joy part I mean. Actually my 'coming out' was horrible.

Being an Irish Catholic its sort of not on the cards to be gay, well so I thought, I think my family in Ireland took my sexuality better than the ones here, I can say they did, definatly.

Though I knew I fancied chicks from a young age, I had to play 'THE MAN CARD' in which I mean I had the 'boyfriend', my cover in other words, but was doing chicks on the side.

Fairy described me as "Shayne from the L Word" so I think that says it all(I suppose she means in the confidence and coolness department and plus shagging everything on legs) Im not so sure though, Im very, and always have been very confident with women, and get what I want too, but of course not now I have fairy, Im a good girl ;-)

On the other hand, fairy is still in the closet when it comes to her family, cos being a turkish muslim, you can understand what would happen. I suppose its easy cos shes here, and there in turkey, some of her family know, her sister, aunt and all her friends, but thats as far as it goes. Im not sure whats gonna happen in the future, but right now I dont fancy being hunted down by my future father in law, so the hush hush thing is fine of me :-)

I tink I'll shut up now, I think I've rambled on to long, I kinda like it in here XxXxXxX

Zoe said...

kelly- you sound just like me, then and now.

r.d. said...

yah sassyfemme I know, I wouldn't trade where I am now for ANYTHING. I got it way to good and I'm glad you do too! But I'm always going to wonder...

You know maggie I understand Montana is beautiful but anywhere 'coming out' is not an option I gotta wonder. Personally I don't want any part of that and I hate to hear it, but I completely understand what you're saying. That wasn't stupid by the way (the comment)I assume it made them feel accepted, at least in the pool, and that's all anyone wants. Good for you for saying anything at all!

Zoe, wow-from boy to girl to I assume alcohol- at 21. What a big year that was. I was never young, single and gay either but I wish I was just because playing 'straight' sucked and always felt awkward anyway. If I only knew... Oh, nice try with saying you never think about it, are you serious? I have a feeling you're way to alive to not imagine. (on your own time that is)
Yes, I'm glad you don't have to too. I hear it's a jungle out there.

kelly, I sense a little hostility?
sorry. Didn't mean to bring up a bad subject.

mad hatter, sounds like you need to come over and finish whatever's on your mind. Pick up another 6 pack on your way though-we're gonna need it. "Doing chicks on the side"- sounds like a movie. I'm sorry fairy is in the dark, she doesn't deserve to be but at least she has you to play with in that darkness.

Oh, I'm glad you had a good time "in here".

Zoe said...

Well ok, I think about what it would be like to be single. No, wait I think for me it's more of a what it would be like to sleep with woman other than BP, cause well she's the only woman I've been with. But see, I'm too practical to even think about being single, because I start thinking about lack of sex on a regular basis (with someone other than myself) and the work it takes to go out and meet people, and it's not like there is a huge population of lesbians who are my type running around my town so I'd exhaust my options pretty quickly, and that just ruins the the little what would it be like fantasy.

Kelly said...

Zoe,

It sucks, doesn't it?

R.D.,

No hostility at all. Just frustration with myself. I'm sorry if you felt that I was directing anything at you. That wasn't my intention at all.

r.d. said...

Relax zoe! I would think with all that sex you're having your mind wouldn't be so tight. I totally hear what your saying about the reality of being single, but since we're just chatting here you can let loose-
Maybe you're saying if you allow yourself to 'imagine', you won't want to stop there? Oh, and by the way in fantasy land we're single and having sex ALL THE TIME with any woman we want and BP and C. Love are just two of many to choose from.

I guess not having any to look at makes it easy... but depressing as hell.

Hey kelly, I just felt a little something going on. Not necessarily directed towards me, just out there. Sorry you feel it, but C.Love always says frustration is a good thing-it gets us to take action?

Kelly said...

Again, R.D., I apologize for contributing to any negative vibe. I need to learn to shut up when I'm in a bad place.

weese said...

I can tell you what it was like. I was there. I was out at 19.
I was going to gay bars in the early 80's. There was a vibrant gay life here in the N.E. Lots of young hot women... PTown was also absolutly hopping in the 80's. I could go any weekend and meet up with people I knew.
Granted - it was not as it is today. Actually today it seems more of the bars are 'boys' bars. back in the day there were plenty of women's places to go.
Then again... I am a little out of touch these days. (after 20 years of raising kids...)

Zoe said...

First, it's never enough. Second, well if we're talking fantasy land and not romaticizing the what if in reality, then that's a whole a different story. If we're talking fantasy land, then my brain doesn't become an interloper.

r.d. said...

Kelly stop right now. You can say whatever the hell you want; whenever the hell you want to say it around here!

And zoe... shit, I'm scratching my head over that last comment. Sometimes having a conversation this way is way too difficult. I just thought you were putting restrictions on your own imagination. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of fantasies... that's a whole other post, maybe I got carried away with my own thoughts- sorry for that one.

Hey weese,thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that the scene was full of women back then- for me, not you. I was just walking around in circles and missed the boat. Where did all the women's bars go?! shit, P-town doesn't even any good ones these days. Part of me still wishes I could go back then with who I am today. Now that's a fantasy...

The Mad Hatter said...

Sweetie my life is a fucking movie, trust me.

I'll bring the 6 pack, I think we'll need a couple of em ;-)