Friday, June 23, 2006

Gay pride?

This weekend is "Gay Pride" weekend in Chicago with the parade happening on Sunday. I've always wondered about the so called gay pride: whether or not I have it or had a right to own it; I've missunderstood it, hated it and felt uncomfortable around it but most of all didn't want to be associated with it. I get it now, but it took me awhile.

So Sunday is the parade-the loud, sometimes obnoxious, colorful, sometimes embarrasing, GAY PRIDE PARADE!...yea! (?) I'm going to attend because the bottom line is that when I didn't go I felt like I wasn't being true myself or 'my people'. I'd watch it on t.v, or read about it in the paper the next day and feel like I was out of the loop, out of touch, kind of living in hiding -you know? I knew I was gay, I was out to everyone I knew, I was in a loving, healthy relationship with my partner of 5,6,7,8,9,10.... whatever years but I struggled with attending the parade because I couldn't relate to it. I'm not one to flaunt anything or make a huge deal out of something that just feels normal. Why do gay people need to look like a circus act?, why the hell are they so severe looking and bright? I never understood and still don't understand why the men choose to wear their underwear and jiggle around on floats or in the crowd looking like crazy people who equate being gay with being starved for sex all the time-and only sex all the time. The angel wings and feathers, infatuation with penises and boobs and bead stuff I don't get; the mayhem of the parade is what I don't want to be a part of but the celebration of being gay I'm all over.

It's really cool to be at the parade and feel the energy of the crowd. Everyone's happy and accepting, maybe because they're drunk and could care less but whatever; the atmoshere is electric still somewhat serene at the same time- it's strange. It's so nice to be surrounded by millions of people who are all pretty much there for the same simple reason: everything is o.k., we and they are o.k. Seeing so many gay people in one place is amazing and it really makes me stop and look at my own life in the context of the rest of the world.

We all have our little safe (or not so safe) lives with our partners or friends or just ourselves and it's east to get lost and stay stuck in that. Why shouldn't we, it's not so pleasant out there. It's actually kind of freaky sometimes. Whenever I go to the parade, there are times, in the middle, I get caught up in it and feel weak and almost tearful. I know it sounds goofy but it's because the parade is very emotional. There's an actual parade (a pretty big one) going on in honor of being gay... it's strange cus what's that? we're not used to that. We're used to feeling either ashamed or 'small', not important and celebrated. We watch the fucking "L word" and dream that we could live our lives as easily and confidently as those women do. Heres the thing: we should be celebrated because to live the live we are meant to live takes a lot of guts. And we do need support becase after all there is safty in numbers and that's a fact-damn it!

It takes alot of effort on my part to go to the gay pride parade because it's a long day with lots of annoying people-gay or not and there are times I feel trapped. Trapped from the crowd, the noise, the flamboyancy and the leather, but mostly from my own inhibitions. After the parade we have a party called "Girl Blast" to go to. It's in a parking lot behind a restaurant and it feels like every gay woman in Chicagoland is there. It's cool because it's all women, it's outside, it's entertaining, there's music, a grill and beer. It's a great way to top off gay pride weekend- no men allowed and it's easy. Now beer, grills, women, parking lots and being outside are all things I can feel totally comfortable with.

Cheers to you all and to gay pride however you choose to celebrate it.

13 comments:

afuntanilla said...

really, really enjoyed your post as i completely have similiar feelings. i hope you will read my post from today!

Maggie said...

I'm going to a 9 year old's birthday party with my kids and probably 25 other kids. :)

But, when I get home and my sanity is lying somewhere on the driveway, I'll have a beer in celebration for you. :)

Kelly said...

We are kindred spirits, R.D. I share the same thoughts and feelings you do regarding Pride. Tomorrow is the parade and tonight is the "Dyke March" which I've been to a couple of times and I really have never been able to get behind it. I get the visibility thing, I do. It just ends up looking like another excuse to get drunk, act obnoxious and whine about the patriarchy. Besides, I don't remember ever seeing cute dykes at any Pride related event. Too many mullets or piercings and so little time. :(

God, I hate to be so jaded. I hope you and C. Love have a good time tomorrow.

Trinity2 said...

Take some pics of fashion fopas, girl! I'm sure you will able to find a few! ;-)

r.d. said...

afuntanilla,
Thank you, I understand and I did!... and I liked.

Hey maggie,
I'm sorry and thank you, but you're going to have to have more than one...

Hey kel,
I hear you loud and clear my friend- I almost invited you out here for this weekend-thought you might enjoy it... it wa just a passing thought...

trinity2,
I'm on it-

Kelly said...

I would have loved spending Pride with you and C. Love. We'll definitely have to plan a get-together either in your neck of the woods or mine one of these days. :)

The Mad Hatter said...

Fairy and I have never been to 'gay pride' but a few years ago we were in brighton which is a sea-side place here for mainly gay people, and 'gay pride'was on there. We couldnt get involved cos we had some straight turkish friends with us who definatly didnt want to walk around with feather bowers on em :-)

This year we will most definatly make our way there though.

Looking forward to the picies luv, and I hope your having a good one
XxXxX

Fairy said...

read it with pleasure RR..I agree with everything you say,especially,it takes guts to live the life we live,i can be one of the biggest examples..even though we are in the biggest cities,we still have to be careful what ever we do..unlike L word,maybe one day,we would have this chance like them..either way,i wouldn't change a thing about my love life..its worth to sacrifice:)

Maggie said...

I had a few more than originally planned. "Annoying Child" showed up at the party.

Zoe said...

Great post! One day I may go to pride, but as of yet that day hasn't come. I don't know, I get it and yet I don't get it.
Part of me wants to go, but the part of me that gets really uptight around crowds keeps us from going.
Hope you had a great time!

r.d. said...

mad hatter and fairy,
I hope you two get to attend and enjoy the festivities! I didn't take any pictures... more on that later.

maggie,
I'm sorry for that kid-

Thanks zoe,
Unfortunately I let the annoyance of the crowd completely take me over once again this year. But I managed to control myself a little better as to not wreck it for C.Love.

SassyFemme said...

I don't get the whole part about the dressing up over the top, and the lewd behavior. I prefer to see "normal" that I can relate to. Of course, I know, what's normal to me isn't for someone else, and the over the top to me is probably normal for someone else.

Unbalanced said...

I loved this post. It's honest and probably sums up a lot of people's feelings. I've never been to pride but do look forward to it this year. But I have to wait until September.