Thursday, June 15, 2006

What the...

Could someone please enlighten me and fill me in on what the hell the Gay Games are all about? What the fuck is this!! I have absolutely no idea why they got started, what they mean or why any 'gay' person would want to be involved in it. Plus I hear that the event is open to ANYBODY: gay or un-gay. What?! Why?!

I've known that these so called 'games' have been going on since 1982, but since I now live in Chicago I can't avoid them anymore; this crazy unexplained event is happening fifteen minutes away from me. I had to resort to asking my straight (religious) guy friend the other day if he knew what they were all about, since he listens to sports radio most of the day I thought they may have said something about it - but they didn't. I felt like a fool, like I should know what they represent, but instead I just took the position of "what the fuck!, all they (we, I) want is to be included- not seperated! At least that's all I want. NORMALCY people, we're looking for normalcy here. The "Gay Games" are anything but normal. They're strange.

I think the dude that started this event wanted to show the world that 'gay' people can run fast, jump high, and throw far... just like the straight people can. I don't know, maybe there's something I'm not getting here but look at the goofy poster for the event. That looks anything but 'normal' to me.

So can someone, anyone let me in on what the hell this all means?!

14 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't know much about it either but it's always kinda rubbed me the wrong way as well. What annoys me, I guess, is that the Games seem to try to break stereotypes while reinforcing them at the same time.

On the one hand, the idea of showing that gay men, for example, can be athletic, breaks a stereotype. Great. On the other hand, two queens ice dancing or doing the cha-cha reinforces one. (Don't get me started on figure skating and line dancing as sports.)

There were issues a few years back when the Pride parade here wanted to "tone down" on the sterotypes presented at the parade and instead show more of how we are just like our straight counterparts. As you can imagine, the drag queens and the dykes on bikes were not happy. (The Dykes on Bikes open the parade every year.) I have to admit that I totally understood the desire to show a broader image of who we are.

jojo said...

I concur. (And as a graphic designer, this poster is just... ugh. dumb.). i agree with inclusion and not exclusion. i get the "special" olympics but... THIS does not make sense. Athletes are athletes. Anyway that is my "two cents".

r.d. said...

Are those events?- the cha-cha and ice dancing?! Yah, again... no idea.

earth monkey, I'm glad you agree. I knew you'd hate that rediculous poster!

Kelly said...

I'm afraid so. I went to their website to check out the program. Under "DanceSport", there's country western line dancing and there's a Latin American dance competition. (I'm assuming cha-cha would be an "event".) And ice dancing is under the figure skating events.

How long do you have to suffer through this nonsense?

r.d. said...

Yikes, the more I hear the more confused I get. I guess the opening ceremonies (that's a joke in itself) are July 15. It goes until July 22.
The pride parade is next week. I kin of have an issue with that one too, but we still go...

Kelly said...

My sympathies go out to you. I thought it was ending and it hasn't even begun.

I'd love to get your thoughts on Pride...the good, the bad and the ugly. I haven't gone in years. However, I'm at least interested in two of the grand marshals at SF Pride this year:

Jennifer Beals and Honey Labrador (be still my heart).

Zoe said...

I don't really get it personally, you're either an athlete or you're not. Where does who you sleep with come into play? It seems like it just an excuse for a big circuit party to me.

And Pride, never been to one.

r.d. said...

Hey zoe,
I'm not so much a fan of the parade, I actually hate going and wouldn't if it wasn't for C. Love. She has a need to be involved so I go for that (her). Plus if you can get beyond all the mayem and hoopla at pride, the meaning behind it is pretty powerful. It feels good to be surrounded by so many 'like' people. It's the only time- ever, that straight people are in the minority. If I can just keep my mouth shut and stop complaining about being there,it's not so bad. The party after is where it's at. "Girlblast", is women only-
You guys should check it out at least once- you owe it to your relatioship. (pride, not girlblast)

Trinity2 said...

Seems like olympians should be just that "olympians" whether they are straight or gay.
Great post, btw!

r.d. said...

hey trinity2, thanks for the words! I totally agree. I'm off to check you out...

Fairy said...

i would like to go to the pride but don't no when in here,we have been to once,accidently,3 years ago,i think it was nice,to see people free to touch and everything..never heard about the games unfortunately:(

weese said...

that is just ridiculous.
since when is being gay a hinderance from participating in the regular olympics...
pathetic.
if you are not qualified to be in the olympics then don't start up a whole 'nother olympics just so you can play.

r.d. said...

Hey fairy, I know what you mean- it is nice to be surrounded by so many gay people, things just feel normal. You guys should check it out and go!

Weese, just curious but you've heard about these crazy games before, right?... "Crazy" is putting it lightly. What a mess-

weese said...

i have heard of them... i passing i suppose - so i never really thought about it before.