Tuesday, July 18, 2006

crowd control

I have this love hate relationship with crowds and it drives me crazy. I love looking at them from a distance and commenting but hate when they come too close and invade my 'space'.

On Friday night we went to an outdoor concert, the headliner was the Indigo Girls. Now I've seen Indigo a thousand times, well not a thousand but close to it. This isn't however a review on their performance from the other night, all I'll say about that was that it was as always, very comforting and enjoyable to see them live and that night was no exception.

We went to a place called Ravinia Park in Highland Park, Il. Ravinia is an outdoor music venue known for its expansive beautiful lawn area which offers an informal place to kick back, enjoy a 'picnic' and listen to the music that's blaring from the speakers on the trees. The problem arises with everyone setting up camp: laying down the blankets, assembling the tables, opening the chairs, cracking open the beer or wine and setting up their food spread. It's like watching something personal in a public place-it's funny. The point is to hang back and relax under the sun and stars- if you can, I get easily distracted so it takes me awhile to settle down. Ravinia also has an open-air covered pavillion seating area for about 3,200; it is used mostly for symphony concerts, but it's open for all of the events all summer long. Anyway, my point is not to describe how beautiful this place is, it's to talk about how annoying it can be.

Most of the season ticket holders to Ravinia are upper class older folks who buy them for the classical series. The problem is... well two things: Ravinia is located in one of the most affluent suburbs in Illinois (you know where I going with this, right?) and the season ticket holders don't care who is performing on any given night, they just want to entertain- on their fucking big ass blanket. Lots of these people treat this so called 'lawn' area as if it were their livingroom/diningroom/kitchen, and it's annoying as hell to those people like myself who just want to hang out under the stars for a couple of hours, listen to some good tunes and munch on some fried chicken. It's usually an enjoyable time when we go but for some reason Friday night wasn't so great. I'm not sure if it was because I was in a negative space( bad discussion/argument with boss an hour before) or the crowd was extra annoying. I can't seem to seperate.

For starters it was an INDIGO GIRLS concert... hellllloooo!!? Indigo Girls?. Snotty republicans, preppy straight couples, kids, pregnant girly- girls and 'the girls' don't mix. Half of the people there had probably never even heard of the Indigo Girls and these same people were taking up massive lawn space with elaborate props and annoying habits. There are a few things I never want to see at an outdoor concert where sitting on the lawn is the option:
Little kids, high heels, high portable picnic tables, real candleabras- lit, rugs, strollers, a set up that is the replica of their diningroom table and people dressed like they're at the symphony. I saw all of this and more on Friday. And here are a few things I never want to see at an Indigo Girls concert but usually do:
Straight couples (sorry), little kids, people who are dressed like they are at the symphony, old couples, gay men (it just annoys me because they are everywhere), groups of straight women, and traditional looking older lesbian couples... (the look is old school) GET SOME NEW JEANS!!!!!!!! that's all I have to say about that-
So I saw all of this at the concert Friday night plus so much more I can't or shouldn't go into for various reasons. All that aside, we(I) managed to have an ok time while we drank our beer, ate our fried chicken and lounged in our chairs. We saw some friends, made new friends and heard some fabulous music by Amy and Emily, but I couldn't seem to shake my mood. I was still angry from my conversation at work so instead of the crowd entertaining me it just annoyed me more. I struggled with this as I did my best to just sit with myself and keep my mouth shut, but I ran out of beer-

I have a hard time letting something go from my system if I don't have the opportunity to discuss it and on Friday night my anger just swelled inside of me. Unfortunately I let it out on C. Love by acting cold, heartless and 'short'. I hate when that happens. I was unaware of it at the time but I also knew things just weren't right. I just assumed it was the annoying crowd. We had the beer and friends to distract us from my angst but needless to say the ride home sucked.

Through all of it I still managed to pour on the charm when the women next to us struggled with constructing their 'table in a bag', I hate to watch people struggle so I offered to help. I guess it worked because later on when it was time to light the candles, once again the ladies struggled- they needed a match and guess who had one- yup, only this time they came crawling (literally) to me. I guess they didn't sense my negative energy flowing in the wind. That's good, I don't like when it gets out. It's hard enough to control it on this blog, let alone up close and personal.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I feel your pain, my friend. How people don't get annoyed with others is astounding to me. My friend Dave always prefaces one of his rants with the the phrase, "Well, if I were dictator" and he proceeds to tell you what wouldn't be allowed. Like, if you were dictator, women wearing high heels in the grass would be mocked until they took their shoes off in shame or some such punishment. You get the idea.

I concur with every one of your annoyances/things you shouldn't see at a concert. I'm still trying to imagine a real candelabra there in the park. That's just nuts.

Maggie said...

People on cell phones get me the most. I mean, really folks, you're hear to listen to the concert, not whoever is on the line.

Trinity2 said...

I know exactly what you mean. We have a concert venue here that is very similar to the one you describe - Chastain Park. And, it's always yuppified with season ticket holders.
I find the older I get the less I can tolerate crowds!
What happened at work?

r.d. said...

Hey kelly, I unfortunately have a list a mile long of things I believe shouldn't be allowed in this world... if only.

can't stand that either maggie-shut up.

t2,back to your last post for a second. I'm surprised about those shoes... I picture you in something with a liitle more substance, if you know what I mean- but then again I really have nothing to go on here. I'm just saying.

The argument/discussion at work was around me doing things that make complete sense to do but are not necessarily 'allowed'. Rules, it's not that I want to break them, it's just that they rarely make any sense! You know? I won by the way but it still pissed me off-

weese said...

'traditional looking lesbians' what the hell is that. hmm, you're tough. I thought we were a people of open acceptance...

Zoe said...

I'm right with you on crowds. I HATE crowds, well really I'm not all that in to people most of the time. Crowds make me really uptight. I know, it's hard to believe that I could be more uptight than I already am, but believe me it's not pretty. That's why I try to avoid buying lawn seats if at all possible, and if not, well you better get me pretty drunk before we get there then.

r.d. said...

Shit weese, I just knew that sentence was going to come back and kick me in the ass. Actually I can't belive more things haven't. I felt a little strange after I read what I wrote but I let it fly anyway. Thanks for calling me on my words and I'm sorry if it may not have settled well with you. It's a tough subject for me and I know I can be somewhat harsh at times and for that I appologize- to all. Like I said it was a rough night for me, I was looking for comfort not anger and bad fashion sets me off. I'm working on it...

Hey zoe, hope the kitty thing is settled.

I just get frustrated and angry around crowds cus I can't relate to most. I do love the lawn though, just sitting back drinking under the stars with good tunes- there's nothing better.

weese said...

you know what.. thats what i like about you. r.d.
you are always willing to have a closer look at yourself.

r.d. said...

Thanks weese, I try...