Wednesday, July 12, 2006

There's something good in everything. I guess.


I'll get right to the point- we rented the movie " Imagine Me and You" the other night and the only thing I took away from it was the questioning of who one of the main characters was; her 'real' name is Lena Heady and as you can see she's hot.

Two things here: One, the movie sucked and two, whoever wrote it is living in la-la land. It was about this gay chick who 'made eyes' with a bride at the bride's wedding; tried to get with her for the next hour or so (movie time) and finally wins her heart in the end... during a traffic jam- strange, but it involved 'catching her before she boarded the plane- the 'I can't do this to you' getaway plane. A lot of people have called this flick "cute" but cute is for little fluffy kittens, chubby little babies and stuffed animals- not a movie about the girl getting the girl. This movie was just goofy.

It was easy to watch but I'm not sure why it was rated R because there was no sex, language, drug use or violence. Just flowers and kissing, like I said- boring. It was like the movie took place fifty years from now when falling in love with someone of your same sex wouldn't be considered such a big deal- it's just a simple fact. There were no issues in this one, no internal struggles and no anger- none. The bride's family even drove the car to help their daughter win the girl in the end, one big happy family. Fluff I tell you, it was all fluff.

You can let your kids watch this one, it makes falling in love with the same sex look as easy and pain free as making playdough houses. The real world it's not; a good-looking movie it is.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, that's unfortunate. When I was into writing screenplays, romantic comedies were my vehicle of choice. In the back of my mind, I still hope to write that lesbian romantic comedy someday. That being said, I always root for projects like "Imagine Me and You" to do well and be "professional". (Don't get me started on what I think about lesbian movies in general.)

Anyway, it's on my list to rent but it sure sounds like typical Hollywood "wrap everything up wih a neat bow" fare. Too bad.

SassyFemme said...

Well, I guess at least it's something. It's so hard to find any lesbian movies, even half way decent.

Trinity2 said...

Thanks for the heads up! Next time I am having trouble sleeping I will watch it!

Unbalanced said...

I saw this movie and enjoyed it. But I didn't expect a lot of depth, so maybe that was the difference. I can't argue with any of the observations you made because you are correct, I agree with every one of them. As for the R rating, that was a let down... not one good, racy scene.

Have you seen Saving Face? I really enjoyed that one too! Much more than this one, I felt it actually had a moral or lesson to the story. If not, I definitely recommend it.

Kelly said...

I second unbalanced's recommendation for "Saving Face". I just rented "Chutney Popcorn" the other night and was disappointed. VERY unrealistic.

r.d. said...

Yah kelly, way too bad. With characters that look like her you're dying for it to be half way decent. It didn't suck like all those other 'lesbian' flicks because at least these ladies could deliver their lines. Give it a try, it's a good way to kill a couple of hours.

you are right sassyfemme, they don't exsist.

You're welcome t2

Hey unbalanced I wasn't looking for too much depth either maybe just something realistic? I have not seen saving face, but have heard of it. I'll check it out.

Zoe said...

We rented 'Imagine Me and You' and 'Saving Face' last weekend. I thought 'Saving Face' was better, but neither was great. My expectations are always very low for what I call "genre" films, so I wasn't really all that disappointed, but I won't be adding either to my movie collection.

One of my favorite movies is an australian film called 'Love and Other Catastrophies'. It's not a "genre" film, it's a low budget indie film, but what I like about it is that while the main character is part of a lesbian couple it's not the focus of the movie, it just is what it is, they are treated like any other couple in the movie. Somehow it didn't seem contrived to me, you know like how sometimes gay characters get thrown in and it seems like they were added just to gain a few extra viewers. Now don't expect a lot, it's a light hearted comedy.

So then, what are your favorite "genre" movies? Or have you not found one that you like? I love 'High Art', but I like that movie for a lot of other reasons. I also really like 'When Night Is Falling'.

The Mad Hatter said...

Shite,
Its just come to the cinema here and fairy and I were gagging to see it.

So I guess I can save myself some money then ha?

But mind you saying that, I think I'd watch it just to watch Lena, shes a babe, I've fancied a piece of her for years
cooooorrrrr blimey!