Sunday, August 06, 2006

Breathe in, breathe out


How often are we not conscious of our own breath or our own breathing rythm. Too often I suspect and too often is not a good thing.

We breathe in when we stand in front of the ocean to get that fresh salt air into our bodies and soul. We breathe in from feeling a huge relief has been lifted from our shoulders. We breathe in regularly if we practice meditation, yoga, or mindfulness. We breathe in from lack of air, from feeling phsically suffocated and from fright, but in any of these there's a chance we never breathe out again, or at least not immediately. We breathe in to hold things in: our anger, our frustration, our feelings, our fear and our discomfort. A lot of times we are fully aware of our breath in, but we get lost somewhere in between when we inhale and then again with the exhale. Of course we all phsically do it, it's natural but what I'm talking about is the consciousness of it and how that can get lost so easily it's kind of scary.

Lately I haven't felt like I can breathe because I have too much going on in my head and because I have an overwhelming feeling of feeling stifled- stifled from lack of air. It's not physical air I speak of, it's space from my routine, my partner, my stale mind and in a strange way from myself. One reason I love this hot weather is because it allows my mind to expand; in the winter it constricts. For basically seven months out of the year it's either freezing outside because of the elements or inside because of the forced cold air and my body as well as my mind tighten up. I can't think when I'm freezing, my mind literally goes numb. Weather aside, my mind is frozen these days because I think my soul needs to run free. When your mind is not aligned with your soul watch out. Crazy things begin to happen like getting frustrated easily, angered for no reason, speaking things you really don't feel and basically feeling like you are gasping for breath.

In three days we go on vacation to one of my favorite places in the entire world- Cape Cod. I'm hoping that my stress, frustration, anxiety, fear, and anger gets realeased with every breath out that I take. I'll have other challenges next week to deal with like someone kicking my seat on the airplane, fighting with the guy at the rental car place or struggling with my family and our 'dynamics' but they all seem so easy to deal with. I need a change of scenery, a different bed to sleep in, my mom's comforting voice, a break from life and a chance to breath out- the exhale is the powerful part. The air smells so clean out there it should be easy to breathe in and out mindfully, but I have a feeling the reason I will be doing it so easily isn't because I'll feel relaxed and happy but because my body and soul will feel like they are home. It'll feel right, hopefull all week long.

11 comments:

Maggie said...

I agree. There's something about being at the beach that rejuvinates the soul. I've been away for too long. I can feel it.

Have a great time!! woo woo!!!

Kelly said...

Boy, can I identify with feeling unable to breathe. It's horrible. So often, we breathe quick, shallow breaths which just exacerbate our feelings of anxiety, tension, frustration, whatever. Taking a deep breath slows down mind and body and re-focuses you in the Now.

My wish for you, my friend, is daily, healing doses of deep inhalations of that beautiful sea air and exhales of the stresses that have been weighing on your mind, body and spirit. Have a wonderful time. :)

Zoe said...

I hope you find your breath again.

Trinity2 said...

Yes, let it all roll off when you get to the ocean! That's what the waves are for is to take all the burdens we carry off our shoulders and let it roll on out to sea!
I am really with you - 4 more weeks and I am there myself!

r.d. said...

maggie, I hope you get there soon-

Thanks kelly, I will!

Me too zoe, but I'm not worried.

Hey t2, 4 weeks?! man that's a long time to wait... I feel your pain. It'll be here before you know it though-

weese said...

breathing is so important.
and just that you are able to realize that your own breath is shallow now... makes all the difference.

Bent Fabric said...

I concur with Sassy's sentiment. I love your writing, also.

afuntanilla said...

r.d.
a very nice piece of writing and i can sense all you have written.
i hope you find the space and air you need. again, i encourage you to read, "letters to a young poet"
i feel like sending it to you myself :)
be kind to yourself

Taradharma said...

i hope you are getting the break that you so crave -- you write of it so beautifully, I can relate, oh yes I can. And I, too, love Cape Cod. I had a couple of weeks there just outside of Orleans many many years ago.

I find, when I am feeling like you are, that simplifying life is key -- cut out all the extras that are getting in the way and causing overload. For me, this includes bloggin!!

Peace to you.

Taradharma said...

i hope you are getting the break that you so crave -- you write of it so beautifully, I can relate, oh yes I can. And I, too, love Cape Cod. I had a couple of weeks there just outside of Orleans many many years ago.

I find, when I am feeling like you are, that simplifying life is key -- cut out all the extras that are getting in the way and causing overload. For me, this includes bloggin!!

Peace to you.

r.d. said...

Weese,
You are so right-

bent fabric,
Thank you so much for your words. I haven't been feeling too good about my writing lately so your comment came at a perfect time. Thanks for that.

afuntanilla,
Thank you so much also. I did look for that book at Borders a couple of weeks ago but they didn't have it. I'll keep looking. My vacation was great medicine for my soul- thanks...

tdharma,
Thank you too! Very difficult to leave Cape Cod yesterday but I did it. I got my break... I honestly hope you (and everyone who desires) gets back there soon someday. I hold enough joy for all-
Thank you all for the kind words!