Monday, July 31, 2006

Not what I crave


This came up in conversation with someone the other day and it comes up quite often in different circumstances so I was thinking there's probably a reason for it; I know the reasons are not the obvious ones though.

We were talking about rollercoasters and I said I had never been on one. I know, you're saying what?! never been on a roller coaster?. Yup, never. The reason being is because where I grew up in Massachussetts, there weren't any amusement parks close by and every summer we headed two hours south to Cape Cod and Cape Cod only. Sure we went camping every so often in New Hampshire and Maine and we took family vacations in the off season to Florida and Washington but still no amusement parks to be had. So after the rollercoaster comment, I immediately said "there are three big things that I've never done: one- never been on a rollercoaster; two- never ridden a horse; and three- never had a White Castle burger.

Rollercoasters, horses and burgers. Three kind of strange, random things that I've never experienced, and everytime I say it I think the same thing, that I have no burning desire to do any one. I can think of three other things I've never done that I'm dying to do: Head to the North shore in Hawaii, lay down on the beach and feel the power of the waves. I'd like to be able to pay cash for my next car and I'd like to try an In-N-Out burger while hanging in California. Now those are three fairly simple things for some other people but I'm sure they too have their own lists to deal with. For Gidget out there in hawaii, she may wishing she could try an authentic, deep dish Chicago style pizza... no problem dude, I'll be happy to trade you a pizza for a beach towel any day.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

You're not the only one who is a "White Castle Virgin". I don't think they have those out here in California. However, the In-N-Out burger is on me when you head out here for a visit. :)

Your three random things reminded me of three things my mother warned me about as a child:

1. "The Exorcist"
2. Gin
3. Manual transmissions

I have yet to master the stick-shift. The other two didn't happen until I was in my 20s. Here's to strange, random and delicious experiences! :)

SassyFemme said...

You were so close to Canobie Lake Park, and never went? My friends and I would occasionally skip school and drive down there (from Manchester, NH area), always a blast. Went on the roller coaster there just one time. Scared the heck out of me! I'm such a roller coaster chicken!

Trinity2 said...

Honey, you're not missing anything with the white castle's unless it's clogged arteries! Now In-n-out - that's another story! Best hamburgers in the world in my book!
Hawaii - that's always a fantasy in my book!

Zoe said...

You've never ridden a horse?!

Rissamama3 said...

I am from Mass originally myself and didn't do the rollercoaster until I was in my 20's! I have never had a white castle burger. And I wasn't on a plane until 25 didn't get to disney until then either so theres always time or just trade out what you haven't done for what you want to do!

r.d. said...

The exorcist kelly?! what's that all about?

I know sassyfemme, we did go to Canobie Lake just didn't get on the coaster, I don't know what to tell you. I just never had the desire- and still don't.

Oh I know I'm not miising a thing with the castle burger t2, it's just strange out here because they are on every corner but I'd rather not eat! You have to get you ass over to Hawaii, the place is amazing. I just never made it over to the North Shore when I was there, but if I only new then what I know now...

No zoe, never-

Hey Betty, welcome! You see, everyone has something. That's what I'm talking about- later

Kelly said...

My mother saw "The Exorcist" and it scared the proverbial rosary beads out of her hands. She slept with the light on for months (which I'm sure thrilled my Dad). To this day if she hears the theme song, she has to turn it off or get away from it.

The Mad Hatter said...

Shall I tell you what Im craving at the moment, a cigarette. Can you believe it, I've never smoked in my life but have always been around smokers. When ma was ill we banned smoking from our house and it sort of stuck since she died, but since my aunt came from Ireland last week, shes smoking indoors instead of on the doorstep, so inhailing her stuff has given me the urge to have a drag.

My ma would fucking kill me!

r.d. said...

Hey! I hear you with the craving thing but I KNOW you can think of something else to do with your fingers and mouth... smokers are not sexy and I have a feeling you are.

jojo said...

They dont have white castle here in cali or if they do i have not seen or been to one. as a vegan i dont eat at "in and out" but when i did eat meat I DID eat there. and last time i ate a burger there i got food poisoning of some sort... on a long drive to lake tahoe. food poisoning and long car drives dont mix. but... i will admit that i still miss "in and out" aside from food poisoning AND one is down the street from my house.

but damn!!!... no roller coasters? nothing like free falling it on "free fall" at mgc mtn. its crazy, scary, freeing, thrilling all at the same time =)