Tuesday, August 29, 2006

running to stand still

I had intended for this post to be about all the negative things that happened today and to list my top ten, then I got an e-mail from my sister with photos of my nephews and I while on vacation and everything changed. As soon as I opened a bottle of wine (red because it was freezing out), sat with C.Love and my kitten on the couch for a couple of minutes, the world amazingly seemed to change colors. It's funny how we can so easily get caught up with all of the bad vibes that attack us daily but it takes effort to recognize all the positive things that come into our space and conciousness. We get so used to feeling angry, getting upset and expecting the worst that it tends to take us over. I don't want to fill this void with negative energy- who needs that.

One of the photos I received today was of me, my 12 year old nephew and his 8 year old brother on the beach. I remember when my sister took it because it was taken at one of my happiest moments of the week. After enjoying a couple of afternoon beers with my Dad, sister and C.Love the kids started to get restless; after all it was around 4 p.m. and they had been there since one o'clock. The 8 year old is into extreme sports, anything physical and has some normal, healthy energy that unfortuately tends to be stifled by his parents and grandparents more often than not and I can't stand it. Any kid should be allowed to have as much fun and let out as much energy as they want to, especially when it's at an acceptable time but for some odd reason my family tends to look down upon anyone or anything looking too "happy". (or so I've noticed lately) Thankfully I don't see eye to eye on many things with my family and fooling around and being silly with kids is one of them.

The eight year old suddenly got excited for some reason and I noticed him doing sprints up and down the beach. Then I noticed him diving into the water, rolling all over the sand and diving in again; he was screaming and yelling like he was on fire. It was so great to watch him but all the while I just had this urge to run in after him or throw a ball or toss him into the waves, but I was having my photo taken with the adults- booooorrrrrrring. He was cracking me up while I sat there posing for the camera. Until I couldn't take it anymore. I could hear him saying to himself, but also loud enough for me to hear that 'I couldn't catch him'- as he went sprinting down the beach. That was all I needed, give me a challenge and I'm all over it.

One of the best moments of my week came when that last photo was taken, I dropped whatever was in my hand and I went sprinting up the beach to catch the little dude. He was running down by the water so I just took off after him and ran as fast as I could. (I was a sprinter in college) Since he was running so fast he couldn't hear me and was totally unaware that I was behind him and closing in fast. I could hear him breathing and puffing, hear his feet slapping the wet sand and hear the waves and the sound of my own breath when I finally caught up and reached out to grab him. He had no idea I was right there and when I touched his shirt- he freaked out, it was sooooo awesome! He freaked, I yelled, "I GOT YOU!", he turned slightly to see me, yelled something back and then kept running. As fast as his little legs would carry him. So much excitement in a split second. The look on the kids face as he turned was one of complete surprise and total amazement- it was so great, I'll never forget it and I honestly don't think he will either. We had so much fun that day I was wishing it could go on forever.

So instead of talking about annoying men, bad drivers, the sucky weather and my lack of patience for the masses; I decided to think about happy kids, drinking on the beach with my family, unconditional love and unforgettable memories. Nice turn- around if I do say so myself.

8 comments:

Trinity2 said...

Very good! I'm proud of you for turning it around!
Yes, I have/had a family like that - anytime my sister and I would laugh or act like we were having fun then the parents got suspicious and thought if we were having fun then we must be being bad. It was such a drag!

Anonymous said...

its nice that u picked up with special memories..some people don't appreciate and go on feeling miserable,despite seeing what they have..

Kelly said...

Your nephew is such a cute kid! I, too, am glad that you were able to turn your mood around. I know how tough that can be.

I just know that the memories you are making with your nephews will be things that they will look back on and cherish. I have no doubt that you're a very cool aunt. :)

The Mad Hatter said...

O Rd, you make a girl wanna cry like the chick she is. I love this post hun, thank you for sharing it, honestly, you tugged on my heart strings today chick.

By the way, the little man is so cute :-)
Sending you lots of love dude
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

SassyFemme said...

Smiling as I read this. Sounds like a very special moment for you and your nephew.

jojo said...

what a great moment. what is it with parents stifling kids? and i so know what you mean about the "picture" thing... excrutiatingly painful. in my family i actually run and hide. so much funner to hang with the kids. it is so freeing compared to (in my family) the boring adult banter.

afuntanilla said...

r.d. -- this was a great read! i FELT it. i agree...one of the worst things anyone can do to ANYONE else, regardless of age, is to try and stifle them..especially the parts that come out organically, spontaneously.
thanks for sharing..

r.d. said...

t2, fairy,kelly, mad hatter,sassyfemme and earth monkey:
May we all learn from our families, appreciate little kids, smile for the camera and feel the good stuff!