Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hook, line and lifejacket


I'm hooked. It didn't take long this time, actually whenever I've gottten hooked on anything or anyone for that matter it didn't take long.

It started with a willingness to be open and continued because of meaningful dialog and excellent background music. There has also been enough humor and sex tossed in to keep me and the rest of the world fully engaged instead of wanting to flee the scene for fear they may slip into that black hole of 'emotion' and never find their way out. It's the way little meaningless words are put together to form huge powerful statements- simple sentences people long to hear, is what amazes me; not because of what the words mean but more so because it's so simple and organic. The general viewing public seems to be captivated by it and that's what I find shocking. I wonder what kept people away from Party of Five, Felicity, and Relativity if they love this one so much. Maybe it's just because this one deals with mostly relationships, having 'feelings' for someone you can't necessarily have or struggling with the ones you do have and eveyone's an adult this time- people can relate and the fact that it's played out in a very real way makes it easier to watch- I guess. Like I said, it's simple but it amazes me. I always assumed quality shows like this and films like Titanic or Brokeback Mountain were just too much for people. Nobody likes to watch anything that may hit upon some of their issues, make them wonder about themselves, or feel anything- god forbid. Personally it's all I look for and live with day to day whether it's in real life, in the music I listen to, or the movies and television I watch. It's human connection at it's best and it's life- turned up, stripped down, stretched out and expressed. It's not because of the life threatening surgical procedures or because of the way anyone looks; nobody is real or even extremely good-looking for that matter- decent at best. Nobody's screaming, there's no rage on the street, no hatred or abuse. If anyone's yelling it's out of fear, lonliness or because of love and they just don't know what the hell else to do. It's the reading between the lines, leading with the heart instead of the head, thinking before speaking and listening instead of talking. I'm talking about Grey's Anatomy. (I realize I'm a little late with this one)

I had never seen even one episode of the show up until two weeks ago but from within the first 15 minutes I was hooked. I had never really wanted to watch Grey's Atatomy because of it's hype and overexposed hospital theme. General Hospital, ER, House, Scrubs, Doogie, Chicago Hope- it's been done before and ER got way too medical and depressing for me so I stopped watching. I listened to everyone talk about it but for some reason just never turned it on- never. I wasn't so excited to jump on the McDreamy bandwagon or watch any more people suffer in a hospital but from what I've seen so far, none of that is even remotely important with this show. Sure it takes place in a hospital but it's not about watching the open heart surgery procedure, it's about how the dude on the table or woman in the bed is dealing with their issue at hand. It's all about all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of the surgury or diagnosis, or accident.

I don't typically enjoy being one of the crowd or part of the masses but this time it feels good. I'm glad people enjoy this show because it makes me think that maybe people aren't so bad afterall. Maybe, just maybe the world is starting to soften up. One can only hope- and watch the interns in Seattle deal-

13 comments:

Zoe said...

Maybe I need to give this show another chance. I watched it once and it didn't really do anything for me. It could just have been an uninteresting episode I suppose.

SassyFemme said...

I just started watching it half way through last season. Oh my gosh, I love it. Life's lessons in an hour, with a few laughs along the way.

Unbalanced said...

You summed that up pretty damn well. It's so true too. I've heard so much about this show that finally I decided to rent the first DVD of the first season. I was hooked right away. Couldn't believe I had taken that long to even give it a try. I'm currently waiting for season 2 to be released (tomorrow) and I will be recording season 3 until I catch up on season 2.

Rissamama3 said...

I love that show I am not a Desperate Housewives fan really so I am glad they are moving to thursdays now! Enjoy the show it just keeps getting better.

Plus how could you not love Sandra Oh's sarcasm!

r.d. said...

Maybe you do zoe, I've only seen about 6 episodes so I'm sure there has be one in there that sucks-there always is. Im thinking you got the one.

yes sassyfemme (need a nickname for you)it's an hour filled with lots of stuff. I wish I started earlier than I did... I can't figure out why I didn't. "Joey" used to be on Thursday's, right?

Thanks unbalanced, wow- you are addicted! I don't like going back so I think I'll just start fresh with the new season. Have fun.

Me either betty-no houswives around here. I've never really been a fan of Sandra Oh but I will say I enjoy her character at times-other times she gets annoying though. Enjoy the season!

The Snarkess said...

Welcome to the club! I actually don't really like TV that much, except for Jeopardy and the Food Network, so I'd never been hooked on a show before. My roommate Jane got me watching Grey's Anatomy halfway through the first season and I've been an addict ever since. I love Meredith's character - she's brave and honest and screws up a lot, and makes bad choices, and reminds me of me (except she's much prettier and my job, in comparison, is like finger-painting.)

Not to mention it's really fun to have weird medical conditions thrown in with your drama...or am I just a sicko? :)

r.d. said...

Hey claire,
Yea, I hear you except I really don't think Meredith is all that pretty and I have a funny feeling you're selling yourself short in that department. But I have no idea. Enjoy the season.

Kelly said...

R.D.,

I agree with you about Meredith not being that great looking. I think Addison is much hotter. But then again, as I've said before, blondes don't do it for me.

r.d. said...

Who's Addison? I Looooooove blonds-they definately do it for me.

Kelly said...

Before I answer that, are you watching season 1 or are you watching last season? I don't want to play spoiler and I can't remember exactly when Addison first appeared.

The Snarkess said...

I loves ya. I just loves ya.

Middle Girl said...

Meredith's ok, Addison, the red-headed wife of McDreamy, she's ok too. Izzy's the blond. George's (2nd season) GF, forget her name-she's cool too. As if you haven't guessed, waaaayyy obsessed.
Meds, Relationships, Sex & Multi-cultural casting-hook me most of the time.

Bent Fabric said...

I, too, have decided to investigate the hype.