Sunday, November 26, 2006

Saltines and coffee


Last Monday I came home early from work and ended up flat on my back on the couch with a blanket; I stayed there from 1-9. I didn't choose that position on purpose, my body demanded it. I think I was experiencing a combination of the stomach flu and just plain physical exhaustion. When C.Love came home and found me moaning and groaning and uncharacteristically weak, she immediately asked me what I needed and all I could mutter was saltines, chicken soup and ginger ale. All three for my stomach, but more so for my soul. Saltines and ginger ale are just as good of a combination as peanut butter and jelly, buffalo wings and beer or oreos and milk and all but the wings and beer remind me of childhood which always makes me feel better. It was all I ate all night- that and some chicken soup. It took me a good portion of the week to feel better, I didn't drink alcohol all week and my coffee in the morning was never as tasty as it usually is. Whenever I feel like I don't want beer or coffee, I know something's wrong.

Last night we went to dinner with some friends and today I found myself too tired and hungover to get out of bed much before noon, wanting to skip the coffee until 4:30 in the afternoon and I'll probably be ready for bed by eight. I hate this feeling; I hate feeling sick, tired, unmotivated and lethargic. Last week was acceptible because I had some sort of 24 hour bug but today it's simply because I drank too much last night. I only had 3 beers and three glasses of wine but for some reason it hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. I didn't sleep well at all because of the alcohol in my system so I know that's why I'm so tired today but I also know my body doesn't handle alcohol the way it used to. It sucks. Years ago, maybe even a year ago that much wouldn't have affected me but as I approach 43 in three months,I see things seem to be different. On my behalf, I do believe that with a combination of no alcohol all week, little food in my stomach all week and only a bowl of cereal in my stomach yesterday contributed to my demise but I still don't like it. Last Thursday, the week before Thanksgiving I went out with my drinking buddy (we'll call him Matt) and drank way too much also, felt totally sick the next day at work and hated every minute of it. That night I did drink too much, but come on now, he's my drinking buddy for a reason! I probably had four too many beers-whatever.

So here I sit at 5:30 in the evening with a pack of saltines (again) and coffee. The saltines because I love them and I'm hungry and the coffee because I find coffee comforting and I'm tired as hell. At least I didn't ended up in my own bed and had tons o fun before the lights went out...

11 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Saltines and ginger ale are my tummy's best friends when it's not feeling so good. Chicken noodle soup isn't far behind them, either.

I had to laugh when you wrote that you had ONLY 3 beers and 3 glasses of wine. I'd be out cold if I had 3 of either, forget 6 total. Oh hell, I can't even drink one!

Anonymous said...

Saltines, ginger ale and chicken soup seem to make everything better. They remind me of being taken care of by my Mom when I was sick as a kid. They were also the staples of my diet the last few weeks before my surgery.

I hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I just finished a pb&j sandwich before I read this. Funny - we're on the same track today, girl - save for the bed thing ;-)

Maggie said...

I love ginger ale. It's my favorite when I don't feel good.
The local deli makes the best chicken soup....lots of garlic. Even give you the oyster crackers when you're sick.

Zoe said...

Yeah, I'd chalk the hangover up to having been sick earlier this week too if I were you. Or maybe you're like me and discoving that you have some allergies to certain types of wines. Next time you should try drinking about 32 oz of Gatorade, and eating some saltines and a banana before you go to bed. Then you have to drink V8 for breakfast. Should help. And if you're a coffee junkie like me, and it sounds like you are, the headache won't go away until you have a cup or two. Hope you're feeling better.

r.d. said...

sassyfemme I don't believe you. I think you're good to go with two delicious glasses of wine...right?

Hey kel,
That's right, I'm sure you've had plenty of saltines over the last couple of weeks. There's nothing like being sick when you're little- for some strange reason it was the best! I feel 10 times better today, thanks for the concern.

Sorry for the dig t2, but I couldn't let that one go- hope you have a good week, or better week than last!

maggie,
Chicken soup rocks anywhere, anytime. And those little damn oyster crackers? forget about it, I could eat tons of those-love them with my clam chowder and beer.

Hey zoe,
Unfortunately I'm thinking it's not an allergy to wine, I drink too much of that and nothing-so I guess it was just one of those things. I usually eat an apple before I go out, that helps things and when I got home on Saturday the last thing on my mind was eating-if you know what I mean, but I hear you-thanks.

Zoe said...

Believe me, I know what you mean. And aren't you glad I left my comment at that instead of going done the crude joke road where I usually travel.

Anonymous said...

yup yup... welcome to your 40's.
there are times when i just don't drink now, because of the interupted sleep, dehydration, and the way i feel the next day.

r.d. said...

Nice control zoe

Geez, what a downer weese. Don't we have enough going on in the 40's? this too?! I hate to believe it, but it's so true- my drinking behavior has changed and it's only because of the after effect. I hate it.

The Snarkess said...

My weird hangover / flu comfort food?

Spicy hot wings. I have no idea why. But they make me feel better immediately and settle my stomach right down.

I think I've managed to put a few extra years on my liver through hard usage, so as a fellow 40-something liver owner I can tell you that the next best thing to not drinking is to leave a little care package of a litre of water, a potassium tablet, a glass, and a b-complex fizzy tablet like Rodoxon next to the bed.

Hope you feel better soon...

Valerie said...

Hi,

I came across your site by clicking "next blog" from a few other sites.

I was going to comment because you called them "saltines," because I thought that's what I call those crackers, but then I remembered that no, I call them "premiums" and that's why my friends make fun of me. doh. ;-)

So I decided not to post and was looking at your blog list and I saw sassyfemme, so we have blog friends in common. So really, this comment is just a convoluted hi.

Anyway, I'm glad I came across your blog.

And I hope your dad is going to be okay.

Valerie