Saturday, January 06, 2007

screw resolutions

I've never really been a New Years resolution type of person; I could never look to the future for my here and now. As much as I could barely figure out my day to day progress, looking ahead to a whole year seemed like a pretty big mountain to climb. I always went completely blank in an interview (back in the day) when this question came up: Where to you see yourself in five years. Well, if I can get this fucking job and I like it enough to stay, then here bozo, here! What the hell is that question. But that was then and this is now.


For many years now the New Year has become just that- another year according to my calendar but not necessarily according to my 'life's 'path'. That my friends is why everyone sucks at keeping their resolutions, if it's not meant to be than you can't force it. Why people are convinced they need to all of a sudden set very strict boundaries on themselves or adopt huge life goals just because the calendar says January 1, is beyond me. For some reason it seems like the resolution thing is everywhere this year, I can't escape the insaneness of people thinking they are all of a sudden going to have a body like a professional athlete when they've been eating like crap for most of their lives. The leap is too much. I'm all for setting a vision for yourself of how you want things to be but if you're miserable while you're doing it that vision going to turn into a bad dream very quickly.


A New Year resolution to me is more like a decision, an understanding or a 'knowing' and less of a 'doing'- but that's just me and I definitely don't lead by example but whatever. Sometimes I think I'm way too laid back for my own good. I gave up coffee and alcohol for lent one year. I'm not even Catholic but I took that 30 day or whatever it is, opportunity to eliminate two things that I absolutely love just to see if I could. It was more of a test for my mental state than my body. I did fine, but refused to go anywhere where either one was being served so the test wasn't really accurate. My point is... I don't know what my point is, but I guess what I'm saying is that I admire people who make those lofty goals on January 1 and are able to see massive results by August 1. To me, whether it was January 1 or March 1, they were meant to achieve whatever they did that year and it was just the fact that it was offically the New Year that helped them get started. I like when the New Year is used as like a spring board and not a diving board. One day at a time, that's what I say. It doesn't hurt so much when you come back down.

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

It's the marketing. New Year-New You.

I like your spring board idea. :)

Trinity2 said...

I like the spring board, too. Yep, one day at a time.

Zoe said...

I wish I had the resolve to make some changes, but I guess until I'm really ready to make those changes it isn't going to happen.