Sunday, January 07, 2007

they're back!


We are off to watch the ladies. God help us all if this season sucks as bad as last.

We are headed out to a premiere party here, the place is actually more of a gay men's dance club than anything- figures they'd have it there. If I see more gay men tonight that women I'm out of there. As I've mentioned and ranted about before on this blog, Chicago has but one and only one, lesbian bar and the place is a pit, but all I'm saying is, that shouldn't the L Word premiere be in a lesbian bar and not just a gay dance club? Come on now, we don't have much but one thing we don't need more of is the gay men invading our space. Fuck, I'm so tired of it. At least in years past it was at a decent bar that we frequent often. But not this year. The event runs from 5-8 and at 7 the place is advertising 'Men's Latin Cowboy night'- this ought to be interesting to say the least.

Even last summer when we were strolling the streets of Provincetown, a car full of women pulled up to us and yelled out the window " we thought we were the only gay women around here!- nice to see you" At first I was thinking, thanks for actually noticing we were gay, no one ever does, (maybe we were holding hands-I don't remember) then I said to C. Love "damn! what's going on!" (we had already discussed the fact that we had only seen about 5 gay women and 500 gay men. We even stopped into the one mostly lesbian bar for a drink and the guy at the door said it was men's night! It's getting out of control and it only seems like it's getting worse, not better. It was actually better out and about five years ago than it is now.

So tonight begins another season of The L Word. I wish us all luck.

10 comments:

Zoe said...

Hey, at least there is a lesbian bar in your town.

I'm hoping that L Word will be good again, but I'm not holding my breath. I just want Shane to be Shane again, and Kit, though I like her, to be a secondary character.

Trinity2 said...

I hope it's a good night and you can hear the show! They had the premier here in ATL at Wet Bar. I skipped it and opted to pay for Showtime and stay home.
I think I have been to that lesbian bar you mentioned -yes, it's scary. Just know - unless you're in LA most lesbian bars are going to be scary - unfortunately.

SassyFemme said...

A big city like Chicago has only one lesbian bar? I would think there'd be tons of them! Of course, we haven't set foot in a bar in 10+ years, so what do we know?!

Even though we haven't been to P-town yet, when I was looking into us going this past summer I found that they have a "bear week" there, which is essentially guys week. Maybe that's the week you were there???

Kelly said...

There's one lesbian bar in San Francico that I know of and another that is a more of a neighborhood bar. There used to be a lot more apparently. Then again, I haven't been out and about in the community in a long time.

The boys do tend to dominate the scene. The fact that the L Word is set in West Hollywood is hilarious. It was "Boys's Town" when I lived there in the early 90s and it still is from what I've heard. I never saw lesbians in WeHo.

r.d. said...

Zoe-well, looks like Shane is back as well. It's funny but the writer for Shane's character works at the library with one of my friends out here in Glenview Il. It was killing me not to buy that woman a drink and find out what the hell she was thinking about last season. I never did (obviously) for various reasons.

t2- we got there late so as you know the crowd was huge. Hearing wasn't so much of a problem, but seeing it clearly was.

Believe me I know about the scaryness of most lesbian bars. As infuriating as it is, it makes absolutely no sense to me why that is. We have another one called "The Closet", that is kind of cool but it not only attracts the ladies but the gay men and straight people as well. That's probably why it's decent looking.

sassyfemme- you would think, right?- no. Just so you know, 'mens week' is essentially every week in P-Town. Has been since I was little. They rule the land. The week we were there was not that week you speak of- I wish I could use that as the excuse.

kel- San Fran is like P-Town and Key West: ruled by the boys. You better check out the scene so you are informed... just in case.

storm indigo said...

it's funny. women tend to 'nest' at home and go out evey so often, while men are more likely to party. we also, overall, make less money.

here in cleveland we have 3 maybe 4 lesbian bars (the 4th I never enjoyed and am not sure they are still open), only 1 is NOT a dive. And a few years ago, they started letting gay men in on some nights. UGH! I would leave on those nights.
I am shocked about San Fran...I mean what in the worl is going on. I had heard this about P-town though.

Trinity2 said...

r.d. - I'm glad you mentioned The Closet - I was trying for the life of me to think of that place. Yeah, I've hung out there and had a beer many a times. (I went to school up north and we went to Chi-town all the time on the weekends).
Storm - used to go to a bar in Dayton, OH called 1470 - ever been there?

r.d. said...

Storm, I'm a women and love my home believe me but also feel it's important to socialize with other lesbians- it feels good to be around a crowd I can relate to. I know that most 'women' like to stay in, watch tv and drink wine coolers or ice tea but I know there's a hell of a lot of women who also like to 'be out' and about, watch real life and drink beer. We all need the support of each other so it would be nice if more of us got involved. And that's what I'm saying: about the gay men, do they need to open it up to them? Hell yeah they do because the LADIES WON"T COME OUT AND PLAY!! and the place needs to stay in buisness. At least the gay men drink- and they drink the fancy drinks. Ok, I'm done, sorry I went off a little

Hey t2, what are you doing- bar hopping all over the map?!

Kelly said...

Yup, it's Boys Town out here. There are lots of gatherings for lesbians but I haven't gone to anything yet. You know me, so shy and demure.

(batting eyelashes innocently)

Ace of Spades said...

I wish you luck. Hope you see more women to share the experience with. Kick the men to the curb and ladies take back over. LOL

Love Shane