Tuesday, February 13, 2007

house rules part 2

Since my return comments to the last post were becoming a post in itself, I thought I would just continue with the stream of consciousness going on here- fuck it. First of all, as I write this I have bare feet and just for the record, my shoes are off of my feet (most of the time) as soon as soon as I enter my own house. Especially if it's either wet , muddy, snowing or raining outside- I don't go beyond the front door. I don't want anyone out there feeling like they have to defend the fact that they enjoy walking around without shoes on-I could actually care less what the hell you do in the privacy of your own home.

Bottom line here: what I do care about and what I was trying to convey is that I think it's impolite to impose your own habits/views/ "house rules" on anyone else- especially if they are your guest. It's weird to see people with socks or slippers on while entertaining- come on now.

So that brings me to another one of my rules which is the issue of overnight/weekend guests and how to treat them...
DO NOT invite anyone to 'stay with you' unless you can accommodate them with most or preferably all of these things:
1. Their own separate towels
2. Their own bathroom
3. Real sugar
4. A beer or wine or soda or something besides tap water
5. Extra pillows
6. No set schedule
7. Coffee and tea
8. A guest room free of strange smells, weird sheets, baby, animal and kids toys
9. kids that understand the meaning of "boundaries"
10. Pets that do not have a need to sleep with strangers
11. The house computer -but anywhere other than where the guests sleep
12. The freedom to 'sleep in'
13. Reading material
14. The option to use small sample type toiletries that the you(as the host) provides
15. A night out to dinner-with or without you
16. A hairdryer
17. A mirror in the guest bedroom
18. A television
19. No sense of, "oh, so that's what they're like" In other words- adults who understand the word "boundries"
20. Space

10 comments:

Middle Girl said...

...so..a fold out cot, nestled next to the kitchen stove wouldn't do it for ya, huh? ;)

afuntanilla said...

good list. i have 1 more additional criteria -- please have half & half for my coffee. none of this powder or non-fat milk, ick!!

Trinity2 said...

What is this? A freaking bed and breakfast? This is why I never have house guests! ;-)
Plus, we were going to stay with you in Chicago - will you have all that for us?

Zoe said...

I would think most of those things should go with out saying, but some people...We live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow, so we hit everything on the list except own bathroom. Can't really do too much about that. Though I have to say that we are getting ready to get rid of the bed in the guest room and use that room for something else. Space is at a premium in our place and the guest room can no longer be justified. We just don't have guests who stay overnight. I suppose that might be different if we didn't live in our home town, I don't know.

r.d. said...

No thanks only daughter, I'll get a room at the local Hotel...

Definately afunt, I forgot that one. If there's no coffee pot or sugar or half and half I'd rather go out to get it anyway. Gives me time to escape- you know?

What are you talking about t2?! I really don't think i'm asking for too much here. These are just the basics... Granted I am only able to give a guest 16 out of the 20 I've mentioned but I'm only in a one bath-2 bedroom apartment. And no, I will not have all this for you guys but I never said I would either- right? We only invite single family members-that's it, the rest of the guests have to stay in town. Most of this talk stems from my staying overnight at other people's houses who have guests regularly... I'm just saying.

I hear you zoe, we just keep the spare bedroom/office functional for that rare occasion when someone may have to stay with us- when there's no other option. Otherwise the spare bed is just that... a spare bed- if you know what I mean.

Trinity2 said...

Lol - I am just messing with you, r.d. All those accomodations sound wonderful and yes, I do agree with you on being prepared to have a guest. And, don't worry - we already have our hotel booked in Chicago. I hope they are just as accomodating.

poet said...

here from T2's page.never really gave these things much thought because a) we rarely have house guests, and b) we rarely go out. it has always just been 'what you do' when you go over to someone's home, take off the shoes. especially in this time of year, with salt, sand, snow etc. also, what a great list of things you would have at the ready for houseguests....thanks for the ideas.

r.d. said...

Oh, I'm not worried t2, I'm just just giving it back to you... Believe me, I know what's going on.

Hey Poet, I'm so glad I was able to maybe open your eyes (or mind) to something new. You do know that since you just said you don't ever have house guests that your time is coming sooner than you think- right? Believe me, you better print out "the list". See you around and thanks for the words-

The Mad Hatter said...

2# We only have one bathroom ;-(
8# Maybe I should print this part and sent it to a few people I know!

I agree with everything else, people should have the freedom to do (in moderation) what they feel free to do ... if you cant accomadate ... DONT HAVE GUESTS!!!

Love and kisses XxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

r.d. said...

Hey mh, I totally agree-if you can't accomodate don't offer!