Monday, April 23, 2007

another one bites the dust


I hate when people I admire, for whatever reason, do or say something that makes me feel like I'm living in a cartoon: my heel brakes go on, I create some smoke, stop dead in my tracks and scratch my head in total confusion. It happened today and I feel like I'm still scratching my head- it's bizarro. With all the craziness going on in the world these days, I like to rely on the few sane people I know to help me remain still with the notion that not not everyone has completely lost their capability to think rationally and I can continue to trust what's out there-generally speaking. But when one of the assumed 'sane' ones sheds some outer skin and reveals another side of themselves (the gray side) I begin to feel like I'm now living in some sort of horror flick where a state of fear could rule my world if I left my house.

I knew as soon as everyone started to zero in on the fact that the dude from Virginia Tech, who felt he needed to kill everyone in sight, had a "mental illness", the effect of this was going to take on an amorphous meaning. The chaos of it all has now unfortunately seeped its way into the basements, hallways, front doors and living rooms of everyone in America (I can't speak for those of you internationally) and it's quite unsettling to say the least. When people don't understand what they're talking about and react out of fear, their words turn into toxic energy. The guy was crazy... not such an unbelievable feat for someone like that, but we as a society we can't go there. It's too much. There's a huge ripple effect going on from last weeks event that is coming out in many forms, one of which I felt today. This news actually has nothing to do with what happened in Virginia, but for some reason there feels like a recurring theme going on these days. And while it may have always been well contained in Hollywood, it also leaks out every now and then. For good reasons,
Sheryl Crow has joined the global warming awareness movement. Great, this is fine, we need more influential, powerful people to hop on the green train, unfortunately it looks as though Sheryl has lost her mind along the way. The rock star has officially gone on record by saying she thought we could preserve some trees by proposing a ban on how many squares of toilet paper we are allowed to use each time we use the bathroom. What?! Oh no, here we go with the crazy talk from someone I thought was pretty much sane. Limiting toilet paper use?, come on now, that's silly talk. She said "I think we are an industrious enough people that I think we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required". Two to three? shit, I'd be doomed. I get where she's coming from but is she serious? Now Sheryl is an intelligent, successful woman and she's making statements like this. What the fuck is going on.

I used to like Sheryl Crow, she rocked. Now she wobbles, like the rest of the world. Sometimes I think I'd rather live inside a cartoon life where it's safe. At least Bugs Bunny was sane.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Well...now we know, Sheryl must have shit smears on her ass. And leftover pee droplets hanging on.

Because, hey...you just need to be clean...there.

Having said this, there is one in every family. My brother in law (who is a total ass...so should need LOTS of tp) once told me DURING DINNER that he counts out five squares of tp and that is all he gets. No matter what the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

Can you say JOKE?

r.d. said...

Don't bother to comment, I get the fucking joke- thank you 'anonymous'.

Maria said...

I'm always leery of anonymous. She hides in those dark little peeping corners.....

r.d. said...

yeah, creepy...