Thursday, April 19, 2007

tampons and wine

For reasons I won't go into, I wasn't feeling my best on Tuesday. To attempt to shake myself from my funk I decided to get some air and go for a run since that always makes me feel better. I ended up at the grocery store because I remembered we needed some fucking tampons (not the reason for not feeling my best) and a grapefruit. On my way over to the tampon aisle I passed up a beautiful display of wine and decided I really wanted to have some for a little later that evening. I grabbed a bottle of Merlot and headed to the self check out. As I swiped the wine the siren went off, as it always does when liquor goes through, but I proceeded to put my the wine in the bag and wait for a clerk to come over to check on me. When she asked for my I.D. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my credit card and three bucks, but no I.D. I froze for a second because I thinking about how much I really wanted that wine but quickly snapped out of it and told her I just came from running so no, I don't have my I.D. (assuming she would say no problem and let me slide by) I stood there with my 'please can I have this wine face' on staring at her but all I got in response was "Sorry" - I was in shock. "Really?" I said, "I'm in here every day!" (getting angry) "I'm sorry", she said again. Now I was furious because not only did I really wanted that fucking wine but I'm legal! I'm 43 fucking years old! Plus I was upset to begin with because I was having issues all day with not getting what I want, and they never card me in this place so WHY NOW, WHY TODAY! My voice got louder, I starting to make a scene with my questions when I glanced around and noticed people starting to stare. I figured I better get a grip and shut up, which I did. I didn't want the old ladies and little kids thinking I had some kind of problem.

I did have a problem: I'm 43 and I look like I'm 23- what the hell. I can't really blame the cashier woman, I mean I had my Red Sox knit scull cap on, my Adidas pants, no make up on and a desperate look on my face. Anyway, I walked out with my grapefruit and tampons feeling like I just wanted to sit down and burst into tears when it started to rain- heavily. It opened up the second I walked outside, just my luck- I gave up. I slowed my pace down, held the tears back and proceeded to walk home. I wasn't happy with how I reacted to the woman telling me 'no', but I was really angry that It was just one more thing, as minor as it was, of something I wanted and couldn't have. It's been the theme for the week and it sucked.
But I did manage to get myself some wine later that day and enjoy every last fucking drop. And I learned to never leave the house anymore without my I.D because you just never know when you're going to need those tampons... and wine.
Note: I don't use o.b.




14 comments:

Middle Girl said...

hmmm. quite the adventure. glad you got your wine (& more).

The Mad Hatter said...

Yeah I always get that ... fairy and I went to a pub a few weeks ago ... fairies first trip to a gay bar ... we entered and the bouncer let my mrs and our mates in ... but stopped me and asked for ID ... I didnt have anything on me ... he let me in though when I batted my eyeslashes at him ;-)

Im 29 but dont look 18 ... and you ... well I say enjoy it chick ;-)

Zoe said...

What is it about spring that brings on funk? Anyway...I've been told that they are supposed to card anyone who doesn't look 35 or older, or at least that's the rule of thumb in Indiana. While it is annoying at times when you forget I.D., you should be flattered that you look young.

I hope the cloud of funk lifts soon.

het (aka quickfit) said...

I think it was a compliment, bit it could have got a whole lot worse if you bought the wine, got trousered and then got the tampons and the grapefruit the wrong way round ouch....lol

ciao4now x

Maggie said...

That really sucks, although I'm really glad you got your wine.

afuntanilla said...

sorry to hear about the funk, r.d. hope u r feeling better!

i wonder if they would have ID'd you if u would have stuck w/ the beer? "i'm just saying..." :)

also, i took look much younger in same kind of gear as u!!

SheA said...

r.d. - sorry to hear about your funk, hope it passes on outta here soon. As far as the whole I.D. goes, like zoe said, feel good you look so young. I used to get a little p.o.'ed about it, but now that I am 43 and look a lot younger, Im happy about my parents gene pool givin me some of that....Go Sox!!!!!!! freakin A-Rod

Maria said...

I'm 48. I would KILL to look 28. I must look older than I actually am because I have actually had people ask me if I want the SENIOR DISCOUNT.

I said sure. I mean, I'm not an idiot.

I can easily buy wine, but no need for tampons anymore since I just started menopause.

And you think you had a bad day? :)

Trinity2 said...

Hon - I have a whole cabinet full of wine you could help yourself to if you would come to Hotlanta! And, I won't even card you! ;-)

r.d. said...

An adventure I do not need only daughter, if you know what I mean.

Dude! fairies first? Any glances from the ladies?

I don't know what's going on zoe, but the funk has passed. I know the rules but I just wasn't in the mood for any of that that day.

Hey het- I know, right? Geez

Me too maggie, me too. Thanks. I had other wine at home but the bottles were too good to open up just for a glass or two or three on a Tuesday. I hate when I don't have spares. It's been so cold around here for so long I'm drinking the red faster than I can buy it!

Afunt, beer or wine- I think it was just my day to get questioned, be bothered and cry. I'm happy to report the cloud of funk has lifted.

Shea,
I am basically happy about my 'young' look, it's just that sometimes it's a fucking pain in the ass! A-Rod's on fire!! (it's kind of nice for him, poor guy went through alot last year)

Maria,
I'll get carded any day over a senior discount! Yikes. Fucking menopause. Sometimes I struggle with the peri thing but it's all good I guess. What can we do- NOTHING.

Ok t2, I'll be happy to come to 'Hotlanta' to empty your wine cabinet as soon as you stop referring to me as 'hon'. I know you have no idea but I actually can't stand when people call me 'hon' or other people call other people 'hon'. I'll let it go this time but take note... (don't be doing that to your new hottie-I'm just saying)

storm indigo said...

r.d. glad the funk has passed and glad you did enjoy the wine later.

really happy that I didn't call you Hon.
;)
peace.

r.d. said...

Hey storm, thanks. (t2) Shit, I had better explain myself with the 'hon' thing- I guess I did sound a bit harsh. I forget sometimes people use that word in terms of endearment and I immediately jump to it being used in a condescending way. Endearment I can handle but I'll have none of the other. You know?

The Mad Hatter said...

There were 2 guys snoging the face off eachother and a very butch looking chick checking me out across the bar ... and us lot ... well we were just trying to pick our tongues up off the floor from looking at the bar maid ... tender ;-)

SassyFemme said...

At 43 you couldn't get wine? Damn, I could only wish that for me! It seems like new wrinkles appear around my eyes every week now!