Tuesday, July 03, 2007

summer's soft spot

I seem to be completely saturated in the haze of summer lately. Ever since that Summer Solstice weekend my mind has completely gone on break, as it did years ago when school would let out. The only difference now is that instead of flagging the ice cream truck down or playing 'kick the can' until dusk I'm watching time go by as if I have nothing else to do for the rest of my life.

I've been lost in the moment of what it's like when the morning light turns to afternoon sun or when early evening turns into full fledged night time-that time period when you happen to be just talking or watching or reading or sitting and in what feels like a split second, the world outside has completely changed. Lost in the moment. I'm worried that in two months from now I'm going to wake up and be blindsided by the fact that the calendar now says September. Summer is like a drug, but in addition to the natural intoxication it gives me, add on top of that my usual consumption of alcohol and I'm pretty much checked out-period.

Being lost in the heat of the sun and heat of the moment, whether the moment consists of lust, love or time is all good. I can't quite figure out why blogging has gotten lost in all of this haze though. What always felt like such a concrete force seems to have melted away - temporarily...


7 comments:

Maggie said...

Like an ice cream cone on hot pavement...

Zoe said...

Sounds like a good place to be lost in. We've had some gorgeous days this summer. I can't wait to take some time off to work in my yard for a few days.

r.d. said...

Exactly maggie, exactly-

The weather has been great zoe, time off during these months are so precious- enjoy!

Kelly said...

It's 65 degrees and sunny here in Daly City. I know that's positively Arctic to you, R.D., but it's just about perfect for me. If it was about 10 degrees hotter I'd be cranky.

Now if only I have something to do today besides clean...

Are you barbecuing?

Maria said...

Not a thing wrong with taking a break...and it sounds as if you are recharging, not wilting. So..go with the flow and all that shit.

The Mad Hatter said...

Im green with envy ... you guys took all the summer ... we have none here ... just rain ... gale force winds ... floading and I'm still in the drinking soup stage with a frigging sweater on :-(

r.d. said...

Barbecuing is about the only productive thing I'm doing these days kelly!

I actually thought about that Maria- maybe I am recharging because I definately don't feel like I'm wilting. Just chillin, you know?

Geez mad hatter, that totally sucks big time! Soup?!! I'm so sorry and believe me I can feel your pain.