Thursday, June 21, 2007

summer solstice

Six months from now I'll be willing to give up my pinky finger for today's date: June 21. Not because it'll be four days before Christmas but more so because my thoughts from December-March are focused on one thing- summertime.

I don't know what I'm thinking but if there's any day of the year I should be throwing a party it's today. But I'm not. Not only is it the longest fucking day of the year and the official kick-off to summer but it's also Thursday (Thursday's rock) and around here it's Pride weekend. Summer has a certain feel to it and the fact that it only lasts three short months has got to mean something in the big picture, but I have no idea what; all I know is it's way too short of a season. I want to see the sun, feel the heat, hear the stillness in the air, bask in the energy and throw my winter jacket in a corner in the closet. The next three months are pretty much the closest thing to a guarantee that temperatures will be 70 or above. I'd like to be able to take the next three months off of work and just do nothing because that's what you're supposed to do in the summer; sit and wait... and drink lemonade. I actually think that today should be a national holiday- everyone, whether they like summer or not could find some benefit to "summertime".

I hope everyone out there has a fabulous summer. I hope it's not too hot for those who hate the heat and not too cool for those who want to sweat. So happy summer solstice everyone and happy "Pride". Cheers.

6 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Summer..such as it is around here-is my favorite season as well. Woo Woo Woo!!

Happiness & cheer -right back atcha-

Kelly said...

Happy Solstice and Pride to you too, R.D. Enjoy the sun!

SheA said...

r.d Happy summer and Happy Pride indeed. I was supposed to head to ChiPride, but things came up....maybe next year, I bet it's great! WiPride is good too, but I would love to experience Pride in the big city----

SassyFemme said...

Summer is definitely my favorite time of the year. I love the long days, where it seems like the night stretches on forever.

Maria said...

I always think of wintertime as the "sit and wait" season. Mostly because I work my ass off in the summer in the garden.

I'm not a summer person....GAH. I like spring and fall. But hate winter and summer. Of course, living in Nebraska might have something to do with that....

storm indigo said...

I know. Summer is just so wonderful. I love it.