Friday, August 17, 2007

club victoria

Every so often we receive 10 dollar gift type cards from Victoria's Secret and sometimes they have a 'free panty' offer attached to it. Just for the record, the word "panty" is on my list of words I hate. We got one of those cards while we were away and C.love wanted the free thing so since the store is close to where I work, I offered to pick her up a pair- no problem.

The store had recently been remodeled but I had no idea it was it was going to take on the look and feel of what it did. As soon as I joined the throngs of people piling through the revolving door and made my way inside I was immediately blown away by not only the size of the place but with the electric atmosphere as well. Amazing. I stood there glancing around trying to figure out which way to go but nowhere out there, in that huge sea of bras and panties was there any indication that what I was looking for would be easy to find. (I was also in there for a new racer back bra in my newly discovered size-32D) All I saw was thousands and thousands of colorful, shiny, sparkly, glittery, lacy-things. And plenty of panties and pink dogs flying around- Madonna was blasting over the sound system, the floor was shaking and people were running through the place like it was Grand Central Station. I decided to follow the woman who had said hello to me when I first walked in, to ask her where I could find what I was looking for. She led me over to the farthest corner in the store and as we took the long stroll I was thinking two things: 1. why the hell am I always interested in things that are on the fringe and 2. where's Giselle Bundchen?! (it felt like there should have been a runway somewhere around there)

As we made our way through the store on route to the racerback bras, I couldn't honestly believe how much the place resembled a night club! Shit, there were flashing lights, beautiful (and not so beautiful ) people milling around, glitter, boobs, shiny things, loud thumping music and video screens... well, I'm not sure about the video screens but if there wasn't, there should have been. It was amazing and might I add brilliant. But I don't understand how there can be so many different types of bras and panties out there, and then I think- are the people buying and wearing all this stuff wearing it all the time? Because if the outer clothes don't reflect what's under them it all seems just a little wrong. You know? How about instead of paying 50$ plus for your bra, you dish out half that for a decent pair of jeans- that's what we're looking at, not your undies. Whatever.

When we finally made it over to the corner I asked her if she had the bra in 32D, and she looked at me and said "NO". Damn!, all that for nothing. Then I asked her if there were any bras in the night club that were in 32D, she again said "no, I'm sorry it's just not a popular enough size, you must be one of the lucky few, narrow in the rib cage?". "Yeah" I said. I'm thinking- LUCKY? I don't call this lucky if I can't find my size in Victoria's closet! I was so distracted by the nightclub atmosphere that I totally forgot to ask where the free panties were, but I managed to flag down the next head phone woman that walked by and she led me over to the bin. I was waiting for Justin Timberlake to come dancing in from the dressing room but no such luck. To make a long story short: I had ZERO success. No free panty, no bra, no nothing. I waked out empty handed and defeated.
I was thinking they should install a bar in the back corner and then nobody would leave empty handed. Plus it would totally complete the scene.. music, a runway, a bar- know what I'm saying? I'd definitely go there for a drink- if it was offered. But now I think I'll shop exclusively on line and drink at my own place- it's just easier . Victoria's place was a little frightening for a Thursday night.

8 comments:

Maggie said...

I don't think The Secret works in stores with "secret" in the title.

Maria said...

I confess to having a love for Victoria's Secret bras and um...panties, I mean...underpants.

Bing was surprised beyond belief the first time I actually stripped down in front of her. She said (and this is a direct quote!):"You looked like Marian the librarian on the outside and then you stripped down and it was like my lucky day. Do you wear this shit ALL the time?"

I do. It is a sickness. But, I buy all my stuff from their catalogs. First, I have to tear them out of Bing's drooly hands, though....

Zoe said...

I hate going in that store, it makes me feel all pervy, I mean self conscious. Now the catalog, I do enjoy the catalog.

afuntanilla said...

i definitely got a kick out of reading this!

SheA said...

One of my favorite Sunday activities is to read the pictures in Victoria's catalog.

Rissamama3 said...

I have to shop thier catalog because my size isn't found in stores either but I find I get a better selection anyway!

Trinity2 said...

That is so funny! I was just texting B the other day about what size bra she thought I'd wear. She told me and she was right on the money! (Guess she would know!)
She then told me to shop at V.S's and I told her that I was too afraid to go into that place!

r.d. said...

It might maggie, you never know-

All the time maria? wow-

I just feel uncomfortable in there zoe- it's weird.

I'm glad afunt, you would have died if you were with me!

Oh really shea?...

Hey betty, you got a funky size too? glad to hear it-it sucks.

t2, you would have been blown away. You guys should get that tape measure out and make a night of it. Or you can have one of the headphone ladies measure you up-