Saturday, April 29, 2006

Between the trash


Last week my car was in the shop because It died at an intersection, I barely made it into work and I ended up getting a ride home with the tow truck guy. I was able to walk home after dropping it off because our mechanic is only a couple of blocks away. It was on that stroll home that my mind flashed to just how dirty my car was and how I'm actually embarressed that someone else is going to now see it. My car is a trash heap.

I was thinking about what that says about a person: how clean (or dirty) you keep your car. On the surface one would obviously conclude that a dirty car means an unkept home, a messy bedroom, a disorganized person or maybe the person is just a slob in general. On the flip side an immaculate car would mean just the opposite. Now my car may be a trash heap on the inside, but that doesn't mean I neglect it's engine, maintanance or body- I'm just a slob. It's strange that my car is trashy, I mean it's not like I walk around with stains on my clothing looking like I'm completely lost, and clueless to everything and everyone around me; but if you didn't know me and I picked you up off the street you might think some crazy thoughts because of just how messy it is. I notice the trash every morning when I get in and tell myself I need to pick it up but days go by, more wrappers, receipts and empty coffee cups get tossed down there and nothing happens. I have 4 empty coffee cups hanging out in my car at this very moment. As I say it, I can't actually believe it; it's like I have a problem or something. As much as I dislike it, I won't clean it.

C. Love and I have had many discussions and arguments about this issue. She likes nothing on the coffee table, I like everything on it. She hates that the one chair in our bedroom has become my chair and is constantly covered with clothing; clothing that I have just taken off, and can't seem to put inside the drawers where they belong. I don't fold, could care less if the bed is made, if the newspaper is on the floor, if the cat's toys are all over the house, or if things are not "picked up"- but I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink or crumbs on the floor. It has become a constant struggle to come to some sort of aggrement around this issue for us. While organization and picked up rooms give me a sense of unease, a messy room makes her anxious. Over the years I've learned to be more consious about things and she has learned to let unimportant things slide. The argument ensues when she's just finished picking up and I unconsciously mess it up. It's like she's just done her hair and I take my hands and rub them all over her head- messing up her work. It's that severe and it feels that personal to her. That's when I get it.

While I do believe organization in one's life is necessary, an obsession over it is not and it's rare that those people who tend to love organization can't help themselves from taking it too far. I think the fact that my car is so messy and I leave it that way it's because I can. It's my space, it's my mess, my car and my decision to live with it. If we shared a car I wouldn't have it this way and if I lived alone I hate to say it but I would be a complete mess and so would my home. I have some issues with being independent, with being "a couple", and with having to "work" at things that don't come naturally- like picking the Sunday newspaper off the floor by noon. So my car has taken on the stage, as the place to let it all hang out.

I wonder if there's a correlation between alphabetizing your cd collection and having a clean car. I don't want to try it to find out.

15 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

First of all, I killed your car cos you wouldnt tell me bout LOST. NI NI NI NI NI ;-0

Secondly, your not untidy luva, just chilled like me, if the dishes stay in the sink over night, so be it, the world aint gonna end cos of it. Fairy is constantly screaming at me for leaving my clothes everywhere, the new tredmil has become my clothes horse. I take my clothes off, and leave them for a day or 2, then fairy just gets fed up and tidys herself, of course I go in the room and say "I was just gonna do that" but she know I wasnt.

Its funny cos growing up I was a clean freak, look whats happened now, Im turning into a teenager ;-)

Thirdly, where's my 'Dunkin Doughnut'?

Fourthly, why are all my love letters ripped up and thrown on the floor of the car?

Fively, Im crying cos you didnt tell me bout LOST

XxXxXxX

Did I mention how cruel you are? Im turning my arse to you now.....

The Mad Hatter said...

Lastly, get rid of the car and get a motorbike like me. Its easier, no mess, faster, cooler and of course is a hit with the ladies ;-0

Not that I go round chick chasing on mine ....

Kelly said...

Speaking as someone who alphabetizes her CDs and the interior of whose car is clean and empty, I'd say that there is a correlation between the two. ;)

Now, if only I could de-clutter and organize all the paper in the house. In my mind, my intention is to be totally organized with a place for everything and no clutter. I love clean lines and surfaces and each piece having special meaning. I have yet to achieve this, but it is a goal.

r.d. said...

Hey mad hatter, I refuse to give in to your whining and tell you about "LOST" because it's for your own good! Part of the excitement of that show is not knowing what's happening or going to happen, so chill! You can thank me later. And just so you know, I could never give up my car. I don't own a bike, and HATE public transportation. You're on your own with the motor bike and the chicks. I don't seem to need that or a car for them...

Kelly, that's so funny about the cd's- I knew it! De-cluttering is time consuming, or so I hear. Stick to your goals, you'll be a better person to that someone special if you do.

Kelly said...

So, I'm that transparent, eh? I think right now I love the idea of organization more than the actual doing part. I will admit that I could spend hours in Office Depot and my favorite catalog to get in the mail is "Hold Everything". All those containers and dividers and matching wooden hangers!

Stop. Breathe slowly, Kelly, and put down the catalog. You'll never get a girl with your head buried in a catalog.

Zoe said...

I'm beginning to think this is the arrangement of every couple, one is an obsessive neat freak and the other is not. Okay, that may be a little dramatic but you know what I mean.

I've had to learn to let things go, or at least I'm trying. The world is not going to end if BP leaves a pair of socks on the floor. It's going to drive me crazy that they are there, but the world will not end.

I think all it says about you is that you are not a type A personality, and that's not a bad thing.

r.d. said...

Yea, I know Zoe. It's hard to deal with the other side, but things could be worse. You know? Actually, I know you know. Thanks for the back up.

The Mad Hatter said...

RD luv I need some help please. No, its not about lost this time ;-)

You no WHEAT-I MET A GIRL what is the name of the album please hun. I found the song, but the damn album aint coming up. I love them you see ;-)

Cheers girlie XxX

ps, Lost is on to night YIPPPEEEEE

XxXxX

r.d. said...

Hey mad hatter,
Happy to help. The name of the Wheat album is "Per Second, Per Second, Per Second...Every Second." It came out in 2003. If you have a hard time finding it let me know, otherwise rock on baby!

The Mad Hatter said...

Cheers luva,
Your a star :-)

XxXxXxX

The Mad Hatter said...

By the way chick you seem to be into music like me, so if you havent already got it, can I recommend a really good band from Brighton which is a sea-side town here, anyways, these guys are called 'The Kooks' and there album is called 'Inside In/Inside Out'. Guiter music, rocky you know!

Enjoy!

XxXxXxX

jojo said...

it's interesting to get into the mind of a messy car person. i just cleaned my bathroom ... it felt SO damn good, like meditation or something... i know, pretty sick. But from what i have gathered about my actions... i think it is purely a control thing. On the other hand it might be the same for one's own space being the way they want it. So maybe the action of alphabetizing cds is not too far from your car's uh collage?... uh, maybe. What I do know is that I could accomplish a lot more if i just put away that damn green scrubber!

r.d. said...

earth monkey,
I guess we are who we are. You may be able to accomplish more if you tossed the green srubbie and I if I organized a bit more and stopped wasting time. Bottom line- your bathroom is clean and that's great...

Taradharma said...

hey! how'd ya get a photo of the inside of my car?

my car mess comes and goes...it gets to the brink (I never know when that's gonna be) and I go nuts and clean in.

The toilet gets real bad, and it's a contest to see who can last the longest without cleaning it...SHE put the little blue cleaner in it, so now the water's dark blue but you can still see the brown stains through the dark blue water. Umm, not a help.

Do I luv her anyways? You bet!

r.d. said...

tdharma,
yah, I know what you're sayin. Our toilet actually never suffers because thankfully we have too many quests over drinking those cocktails... gotta clean the toilet. It's nce to know I'm not alone in this car trash thing, thanks.