Sunday, April 23, 2006

cocktail hour... or two


Got the grill out today- April 23, the season starts! It officially started last week for me when I noticed Sam Adams Summer brew was back on the shelves, now that was a day to celebrate. As far as the Summer ales go, Sam Adams is my favorite and will be in my fridge from now until late September. Speaking of beer and grills and celebrating I'd like to deticate this post to talking about "cocktail hour" and what that means to everyone out there... fuck, this is totally off the subject, but it's distracting me big time. We have a neighbor who's from Paris and it seems like she has a couple of friends or maybe family over tonight. That's not the problem. What is, is that unfortunately we share a back porch area and they are all on it- completely taking over the space. That's not even the real problem; my issue is that I have to go in and out of that door in about 1/2 hour to grill and before I do that I'm trying to have my own cocktail hour as I write this but the Frenchies are practically standing in my kitchen at this very moment. If I turn around I'll see them and if this post had volume, you'd hear them- the French are very, very loud. Plus I think they may be drinking... shit. I gotta get up and get to my fridge and work in my kitchen, but if I close the door I'm going to seem rude. I hate this. I love my space and I hate when my space gets invaded. I don't speak french, I have no idea what the hell they are saying- fuck.

Anyway, (I'll try to focus) I'm actually writing a book about the subject of cocktail hour and I thought it would be interesting to get the opinions of others to help me along. The book will be a coffee table book with big glossy, cool photos. I'd like it to be about cocktail hour in general and seperate it into seasons; summer of course being my favorite, but I've found that the cocktail hour adapts to it's surroundings: snow, friday evenings, Christmas lights, work related, the summer sun, the cripness of the fall and the openness of spring time. The drinks may be different and the mood enhanced depending on the time of year, but it basically all comes down to three things: drinks before dinner and relaxation.

I honestly don't think enough people take advantage of this hour in the day. It's a fantastic time to step back from everything you've done (or not done) within the last eight hours and imagine what you would like for yourself in the next eight. I was talking to my dad on the phone the other day and he was giving me the run down on what he and my mom had planned for the day. Besides the usual stroll to the beach and working in the yard he threw in "our glass of wine at three o'clock." All I heard was wine and three o'clock. I thought about it for a split second and realized that my parents actually go to bed around 9, eat dinner around 5:30, so it only makes sense that their cocktail hour is between 3 and 4 in the afternoon. Cheers to them.

The point is that whether you choose your cocktail hour to be three, four, five or six- if it's done correctly it can become a time to cherish. Now I'm not talking about "happy hour" where the drinks are half priced between 4 and 5 at the local pub. when I think about cocktail hour my mind wanders to that stretch of time before dinner and after the chores, such as checking the e-mail, playing with the kitty or walking the pooch have been completed. It is with that little stretch of time where our bodies and hopefully minds relax and the drink helps to bring your focus back to what's important in our life. We tend to loose sight of that as we submerge ourselves in our work day, and week. Think of it as an hour long meditation- only there's an alcoholic beverage involved. What could be better.

Cocktail hour becomes a structured time that allows us to let go of the negative stuff and simply relax! It's a funny thing but when our mind knows that it's time to relax, our bodies follow. The goal here is to dedicate time for ourselves and celebrate with our favorite beverage-alcoholic or not. So break out the cheese and crackers, crack open that wine or beer and sit back for an hour. Slow down and cherish the good thoughts.

Update: the frenchies have gone inside and my food is on the grill. C. Love has a friend over to help her with the website so it's up to me to get the dinner on the table in time. I just brought them some wine, and some italian bread with (excellent) olive oil for dipping. I got my own Sam Adams and bread in the kitchen. So here's the deal: I want some fresh ideas having to do with cocktail hour. Let me know your favorite environment to drink in when it comes to "the hour", or your favorite appetizer or your favorite drink- whatever it may be. If I use any of your words or ideas or anything in my book I'll give ya a little something... or at the very least I'll throw the hugest cocktail party you've ever been to... and you're invited. Get to work- actually, pour yourself a drink, sit back and relax and imagine cocktail hour- then comment. Thank you all in advance. Here's a toast to the hour- whatever the hour may be.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Do tell, R.D. What did you grill?

I love the book idea. I love watching those old movies from the 30s and 40s and seeing how glamorous cocktail hour looked. (Then again, William Powell made being a drunk look harmless in those "Thin Man" movies!) But I digress...

Observing a proper cocktail hour is something I'd love to incorporate into my life. My favorite cocktail is a martini, but not just any martini. The vodka has to be Ciroc and the secret is an iced glass, lots of ice in the shaker, shaking the hell out of it and no vermouth or just a whisper of it. Finish it off with a bit of lemon and it's heaven in a glass.

I'll buy you one when you come out to San Francisco or when I come to Chicago. :)

Maggie said...

Post here or send ya an email?

Maggie said...

Okay, nevermind my last comment...I'm losing it. LOL

My favorite drink at cocktail hour at the house is a Pimm's Cup (thank you Martha Stewart). My modified recipe is as follows:
Pimm's Cup

Serves 8 to 10



1/2 pint (6 ounces) strawberries or raspberries or whatever berry is handy, hulled and cut into quarters

1 lemon, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds

1 lime, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds

1 orange(blood orange if possible) or tangerines/tangelos, sliced into 1-inch wedges

3 cups Pimm’s Cup

48 ounces ginger ale

2 English cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch lengths

1. In large pitcher, place strawberries, lemons, limes, and oranges. Add Pimm’s, and mash down lightly with a large spoon. May be made 3 to 4 hours ahead up to this point.

2. Fill each glass halfway with ice. Add about 1/3 cup Pimm’s mixture. Fill glass with soda; stir. Place cucumber spear in each glass; serve.


Out on the town, it's mojitos!

r.d. said...

You got it Kelly! Oh, it was just some steaks on the grill, but it was deeelicious!

Maggie, wow- sounds involved, but very tasty! I could have used that recipe for my party last month. Thanks, cheers!

The Mad Hatter said...

Sorry luv but anything with the word 'COCK' in is of no interest to me, especially when its going on for an hour...or two ;-0

I'll stick to my whisky and wine. Not together though ;-)

XxX

The Mad Hatter said...

Trust me to lower the tone!

Its my thing I think ;-)

r.d. said...

mad hatter, I don't get it. You mean to tell me you don't enjoy kicking back with an alcoholic beverage either before the main meal or just on it's own? I gotta say if you came to my place for dinner, the first two hours are spent drinking -then the last 2 are spent drinking and eating... are you saying you're not interested? I'm confused. We can serve whiskey or wine- that works.

I'll re-phrase. no cocks needed- but drinking required.

Kelly said...

R.D.,

Ciroc is so yummy. You have to try it to believe it. The next time you're at a bar or a restaurant, ask if they have Ciroc and if they do, please try it. That is, unless you want to wait to drink one with me. :)

jojo said...

For me it's btwn 7 and 8, Friday... 4P. I put on Nina Simone, open the windows to let fresh air in, since during the day I shut out the rest of the world while I work.

Hopefully I have a NEW bottle of red, Pinot Noir or Cab. I also reach for garlic stuffed or jalapeno stuffed olives. One of these days I will pour myself a glass of straight liquor, because, yes, the movies make it look so glamourous.

I also nibble on smoked almonds, toasted almonds or Medjool dates stuffed with almonds. I set up camp in my living room where the lighting is just right to find my wine glass, but still dark enough to feel soothing. If I need company besides Nina or my cat, I call a girlfriend to share a glass via phone.

The Mad Hatter said...

R.D first of all sweets, Im Irish, its in the handbok thats handed out when we'r born under rule number 1 as : drink, drink, drink

Believe me I LOVE ALCOHOL (in large print to made sure you see) but like I said, no cocks, but this whisky and wine combo, I can do that. If your pouring, Im drinking, but it has to be WHISKY, WINE, BEER, VODKA, and all in one glass please, so theres my cocktail, but can I call it BIG TITS instead, that kinda works better for me ;-0
XxXxX

Zoe said...

What happened to the comment I posted yesterday? I hate you blogger.

For me, cocktail hour is a drink or 2 while cooking dinner. In the summer that may including sitting out on the deck with dinner on the grill. My drink of choice is a Bloody Mary, or a beer.

Beer- Guiness, Boddingtons, ESBs, Heineken, Grolsch, Blue moon, or about any micro brew.

Bloody Mary- 1 part vodka to 3 parts Mr&Mrs T's bold and zesty bloody mary mix. I'm lazy and it's cheap and pretty good.

Once in a great while BP will mix up Long Islands, and forget about anything else for the evening.

Taradharma said...

my favorite cocktail hour combo: dry gin martini, two olives, served with stilton cheese and crackers (Akmak work well...mmmmm...sesame....)

I have to remember to consume the martini slowly...or cocktail hour becomes bedtime....

It is the transition between the busy work day and the time to just 'be' at home. It's catching up with everyone's day, what vexed them, what was hysterically funny, how they want their evening to go. And usually, while cocktails are consumed...the dinner is slowly pieced together or the decision is made to order out.

r.d. said...

Kelly,
Since I can't remember the last time (if ever) I've chosen to order a mixed drink while out on the town, I think I'll wait for you- unless the situation presents itself. Then I'll be sure to order the ciroc in honor of you.

mad hatter,
I'm so confused.

earth monkey,
Now that's what I'm talkin about!
sounds wonderful. Thanks for visuals! Keep it up!

Zoe,
There's nothing better than grilling, in the summer with beers close by. Actually there's nothing better than summer and beers close by. I wish I could limit it to two.

tdharma,
And what a great transition into our eving it is-right? If ordering out is the end result than you know you're doing something right! Cheers-

The Mad Hatter said...

SO AM I ......