Tuesday, March 20, 2007

pause and effect


The pause button has been hit, my life pause button. Without going into the details, I was just wondering how people deal with the waiting game; as I sit here and deal with mine. (laptop and beer)

I tend to usuallywant to either do things, like the dishes, cooking, physically move around or just the opposite and sit completely still with it. I did a little of both today. I happen to take the day off from work so I was able to do my waiting at home. It helps to have the comforts of home around when one waits, like your own bathroom, TV, food and beverage accessibility and the freedom to move around . I don't like feeling confined when I have to wait, that makes everything feel worse. I also prefer to wait alone... I think, I hate carrying on conversations, making small talk, playing board games or changing the subject just for the sake of changing the mood. I've waited in jury duty many times and that just sucks big time. I've waiting, as has everyone, in lines many times but as long as the line moves rapidly the angst of waiting doesn't set in too much. I've waited in hospitals: for a diagnosis, a release, a nurse, time to pass and all of that totally sucks- all of it, without a doubt. I've waited for the tide to come in which is a joy and I've waited for the snow to stop falling. We all wait for summer to arrive, our hair to grow or maybe our baby to be born, but it's the waiting within the waiting that's hard. It's waiting for the results, or the diagnosis or the decision. When I wait for something specific/immediate, I like to stand up but when I'm waiting for something that's going to take awhile (like a plane delay), I prefer to sit down with a newspaper. Right now I'm in neither.

Today, tonight, tomorrow and maybe for the rest of the week I get to wait for my life to be released from the pause state. You know when you're going along just fine with your little daily routine, making plans for your future, setting things up to go go your way, etc, etc, and then the pause button. It's not the stop button, just the pause which sometimes is harder to deal with. Anyway, while I wait to be released I'll go to work and carry on as usual, but instead of thinking ahead too far I'll sit in the moment. Even if the moment could turn into days.

So my question for the masses is how do you play the waiting game? (I obviously babble, which is very uncharacteristic of me.)

13 comments:

Middle Girl said...

If I'm in line or some other place that doesn't require that I focus or concentrate on the situation, I read.

When I'm waiting for bad news, I write.

When I'm waiting for good news I play danceable music. I might even dance.

When I'm waiting for what is uncertain I sit, read, write, think, listen to music (not danceable) and sometimes I draw or more accurately, doodle.

Only recently have I discovered talking as a way to relieve waiting tension.

Maggie said...

If I'm in line, waiting for a light, a plane, etc....I tend to read a book or organize my day planner.
If it's my life on hold, then I prefer to keep busy. Even if I'm running or cleaning out the closet for the hundredth time, I have to stay busy.

All types of waiting suck.

Trinity2 said...

I don't do well with waiting. Patience is definately not my virture. I'm a cut-to-the-chase kind of person. When I know I have to deal with it - small things like a delay in a flight I will be prepared with a good book in hand or plan to catch up with a friend on the phone.
If it's a serious wait - well, then I try to stay busy - take my mind off it or else I will go crazy with it. I will start a huge project that I know I cannot finish in a day and get started.
If I am busy then the wait doesn't seem as madning.
What's going on? Do I need to come up there? Can you wait until May?

afuntanilla said...

try to do my life as much as possible -- but also add in lots of deep breathing, meditation. quiet time.

curious to know what the heck is going on, girl.

r.d. said...

only daughter, yeah I don't really talk too much in general at all, I'm a listener. But now that you mention it I have noticed that I tend to talk a lot when I'm really, really nervous about something...

I hear you maggie, keeping busy is good. I cleaned my closet yeasterday, that's funny...

I'm cool t2, not to worry. I have tons of patience, it's definately one of my virtues but this particular waiting game will be over by the time May rolls around. Thanks for the concern though.

No big deal afunt, it's kind of general. Too confusing to put into words, but it's "all good". I did some meditation yesterday too...

Kelly said...

I have the patience of a gnat on crack, generally, but I'm trying to get better about that. I've utilized many of the suggestions listed here but in addition, I write. If something baffles me, stresses me, saddens me, etc., I ask a question about it and then wait for an answer. I then write down what comes through withour editing. I'm amazed at what is revealed sometimes. It seems to help.

Take care of yourself, okay?

r.d. said...

Ok kelly. I just want it all to stop, you know? Being stuck in between places is rough sometimes. Today the anger came out- not fun. Oh well... thanks for the concern and words.

SassyFemme said...

Waiting on life things... I tend to read trashy lesbian romance novels, watching reruns of old favorite TV shows, or read blogs. Basically anything to distract myself.

Waiting in lines at the grocery store, in the doctor office, or someplace like that... I read, generally a magazine.

Hope whatever you're waiting for turns out the way you want.

storm indigo said...

waiting for things to play out, or the other shoe to drop: I try to keep busy otherwise I drive myself nuts with all the what-if's and if-only's. I try to keep my spirits up, so I do the things that I love but don't do because no one else wants to go to the...(museum, library, book store, lake). I do all of those things. I take a drive to a favorite park, listen to music or anything to keep me distracted from the fact that I am waiting.
I hope that everything works out well. Wishing you peace.

SheA said...

r.d. _ I know we're not- you know tight like that- but we are RedSoxNation Posse people- so we do have that kinship going on....so whatever the pause is in your life- I hope that the effect ..well the after pause kicks in real soon......Peace

r.d. said...

sassyfemme,
I wish I read more than I do, I have a hard time focusing when something's bugging me. C.love is into all of Radycliffe's books these days... they all seem like the same though-from what she tells me. You know, the "tough one" with dark hair and the black jeans... right?

Storm,
I have a hard time keeping the spirits up if I feel down. I try not to let it take over, instead I like talking about what's going on with me and around me. I'm learning all about the waiting game these days, it's kind of cool actually. I've learned a lot. Thank you for your concern. (I can't believe no one will go to the museum with you...)

Hey shea,
I hear you and I understand! Thanks for the words...

Zoe said...

I hope it was just a momentary pause and that your waiting game is over and all is well.

I'm a little obsessive, so waiting is not something I do well. My first goto is sex, then some thing like running, hiking, kayaking, or yardwork, then some thing like a fast paced computer or video games that would require constant focus.

storm indigo said...

i think zoe has the right attitude here.
really, the museum is one of the things i do alone. everyone reacts like its a field trip in high school.

you have been on my mind, I hope you're ok.