Tuesday, March 13, 2007

spring fling


Today is the type of day that if I was 7 I'd be dying to hear that last bell ring to be set free from the confines of the school yard. I can picture it as if it was yesterday. I would literally run home from school(it was only up the hill and round the corner); change into my "play clothes"; sit down at the kitchen table and devour a tasty snack that was set up by my mom; I would walk the dog and then immediately head outside to play. I couldn't wait to get outside and be 'one' with my yard.

Today was 70-something degrees and it felt like spring had sprung, if only to last the one day. On my run home I came across two little ones on my street: a 3 year old and a 4 yr old. They were on their front walk stumbling around as little ones do, riding their little cars and testing the boundaries with their mom -who sat a mere two steps away. I get kind of a lump in my throat (in a good way) every time I see little kids outside playing,whether they are playing with jump ropes, chalk, balls, skateboards, sticks, or anything else that looks old school or creative. I remember I didn't even need tools to amuse myself with when I was young. A good thick stick did wonders, as did dirt, bushes, the cracks in the sidewalk,the corner of my garage, any unidentified object in the grass, or simply the parameters of my back yard. Sure, I loved my pink banana seat bike,red skateboard and assortment of playground balls but my point is that it was being able to play outdoors that thrilled me, not my big wheel or hoola hoop.

I was just telling someone the other day that I remember being young and playing outside in March as if spring was well on it's way to quickly turning into summer. (geez, I sound like I'm 90) It's not so much like that anymore. Spring used to be a time for light windbreaker type jackets, new sneakers, Easter dresses (when I was two), and Saturdays filled with helping my Dad with putting the screens in the windows and my Mom with "spring cleaning". The weather from March-May was typically anywhere from 60-75 with no chance of it dipping back down to the 40's. These days we're lucky if we are able to shed the winter coat much before April and turn our heat off before May.

Spring screams youth, fresh air and crazy chalk drawings on the sidewalk. When I see a kid in my neighborhood walking around bouncing a ball, or playing hide-n- seek with their buddies it makes me happy. So does 73 degrees in march- old school, there's just nothing like it.

9 comments:

Trinity2 said...

I was just 7 again reading your post! I could imagine it all! Yes, the weather was good here yesterday, too. I love it! Spring bring it!

Zoe said...

Yesterday was fantastic wasn't it. All the neighbor kids were out playing in the alley, and we sat out on the deck for a while last night. I love it when the temp is just right and we can have the windows open and hear all the outside activity.

There is another thing that sucks about DST, I don't get to hear the birds chittering about as I'm waking up in the morning because it's still so freaking dark out that the birds aren't even waking up yet.

SheA said...

Great post- I loved this time of year as a kid. I agree with Trinity2 going back in the day to being 7. I used to go to the park and dig out the clay from the creek and "paint" the garage with the clay. I sat on the NAUGHTY step for several hours after my mom found my artwork. Thanks for the memories- plus BASEBALL is almost here!! Go BoSoX!

Middle Girl said...

Playing pick-up softball games in the park. yay!

happiness is...a lovely spring day.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the flashback, R.D. It was just like the early 70s all over again with the bike with the banana seat, the Big Wheel and utilizing imagination and found objects for play.

We didn't need any Playstations or Nintendo to have fun, did we? (Now I sound like a cranky, old lady, but I don't care!) ;)

Here's the the arrival of Spring and to childhood.

het (aka quickfit) said...

loved the reminder of how to create your own fun out of nothing, and oh so true, nothing like the sound of young children having care-free fun in the great outdoors.. thankyou for helping me remember those summer nights (and days)...walla walla walla oooo

ciao4now

r.d. said...

Hey t2, I'm pretty sure we could have played well together at the age of 7

zoe, I know you're hating the DST thing but hang in there, the dark mornings won't last long.

Thanks shea! The naughty step, that's funny. Painting the garage, I never thought of that one...

It sure is only daughter!

No we didn't kel- no damn video games for us. We'll toast to spring, actually the arrival of summer, in May-ok?

Hey het,
Thanks for the words and you're very welcome- I'm always willing to help out anyone who needs some assistance with getting back to childhood. A major part of my brain is still actually there. Later-

SassyFemme said...

I love this entry! It made me smile as I remembered being a kid, riding my bike, swinging on the swings, doing all those kid things. Sometimes I really miss those days!

r.d. said...

Thanks sassyfemme, I'd go back in a second if I could!